Virgin Voyages Postponing Launch until July

NameThatFunnel

Agreed...after having been on a couple of inaugural cruises I would never book one again.  They were a disaster!  I assumed to by them having started in April, most of the kinks would be worked out.  I don’t really think this is related to the health crisis either but can’t seem to find out for sure.  I hope they reconsider their planning.

13 hours ago, bluemeadow said:

Those who have had their cruise cancelled but only so far paid the deposit, were you offered the 200% future credit or just a refund of monies paid? We are due to go late August and balance not due till May but wondering if we should pay balance off early to get better cancellation options should this situation last longer than anticipated. Any thoughts or experiences to share? 

Not sure if you were able to get this figured out yet, but if you’re not paid in full, you can either get a refund of what you paid and a 25% cruise credit OR you can pay in full now to have the 200% cruise credit with additional OBC offer.  

29 minutes ago, garymfreedman said:

I was best thing that happened to me. I went from my solo seaview in April, to a Seriously Suite in October, including the $500 on board credit, it didn't cost me any more than I paid.... 🙂

That is a great score...

13 hours ago, sunnyd_83@yahoo.com said:

Not sure if you were able to get this figured out yet, but if you’re not paid in full, you can either get a refund of what you paid and a 25% cruise credit OR you can pay in full now to have the 200% cruise credit with additional OBC offer.  

Do you know this from experience or having actually gotten through to Virgin?  

I specifically picked October, thinking that after 6 months of operation the ship would know what it's doing.  Now it'll have been just 7 weeks!

Honestly, my small business has taken such a hit these past few weeks over this, I'd love to just cancel altogether at this point to and try again some time in the future.  Hopefully they open up the rescheduling option to dates for the whole year.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 7:18 AM, rebeccac said:

Do you know this from experience or having actually gotten through to Virgin?  

Yes, I spoke with them on Saturday and opted to pay my balance.  I upgraded from a Sea View to a Suite next Summer... I was given the 200% to use, plus OBC.  My current OBC did NOT transfer over however...

1 hour ago, sunnyd_83@yahoo.com said:

Yes, I spoke with them on Saturday and opted to pay my balance.  I upgraded from a Sea View to a Suite next Summer... I was given the 200% to use, plus OBC.  My current OBC did NOT transfer over however...

Thanks so much for confiming.  We are in the same boat (only have paid the deposit, but our cruise has been cancelled) and confirming this information will be very helpful in deciding what our next steps will be.  

• Like 1

This is an email I received back today in my response to why the cruises before and after the bday bash are cancelled.  I’m still concerned about why they think it’s safe to do this cruise...especially since Sir Richard will be on the cruise.  I’d think he’d be concerned for his own health.  

Hi Sue,
The sailings before and after the July 15thvoyage have been postponed due to COVID-19.  Although we have a clean ship we want to keep our Crew and Sailors healthy and safe. 
I hope this answers your concern, and we look forward to seeing you on Richard's Birthday Celebration!

Cheers!
Sailor Services Crew

My only guesses about Richards Bday cruise being the anomaly are that Richard hasn't personally given in to cancelling his Bday trip and maybe they have a lot of special stuff booked that would be hard to reschedule, neither good reasons to waive safety of the crew and sailors though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2020 at 4:55 PM, drewdawg199 said:

My only guesses about Richards Bday cruise being the anomaly are that Richard hasn't personally given in to cancelling his Bday trip and maybe they have a lot of special stuff booked that would be hard to reschedule, neither good reasons to waive safety of the crew and sailors though. 

I wouldn’t think he would want to take a chance for his own health and well being.

16 minutes ago, drewdawg199 said:

does anybody really think this July 15 Richard's Bday cruise is actually going to happen?

At this point, I’m hoping not...but it would be nice to know for sure.  I read somewhere that part of the reason for the cancellation is to do a retrofit on the pool area.

Just received the following from my travel agent, (I've never used one before but wanted the dumb anytime boarding for some reason).  

"Good news, your sail date is still the same on July 15th.  Richard Branson does NOT want to cancel his birthday bash. "

So yea, they might not be making rational decisions right now.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn’t be surprised if they postpone cruising for the entire year given the fact no vaccine or treatment is found, and possibility of second outbreaks and new stringent conditions being placed by the CDC. There’ll also be a high proportion of their guests from outside the US, who cannot even travel outside their home country.  Australia has a total travel ban for 6 mths at least!

15 hours ago, pcalv said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they postpone cruising for the entire year given the fact no vaccine or treatment is found, and possibility of second outbreaks and new stringent conditions being placed by the CDC. There’ll also be a high proportion of their guests from outside the US, who cannot even travel outside their home country.  Australia has a total travel ban for 6 mths at least!

I moved my preview/March cruises to the end of October (took the deal/upgrade/etc). Final payment not till June. I am getting myself to a place of accepting that the initial money might be gone forever, because I can see some of these companies folding. Especially one that never got off the ground. I guess we'll see how things look by June (final payment). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdoraBelle said:

I moved my preview/March cruises to the end of October (took the deal/upgrade/etc). Final payment not till June. I am getting myself to a place of accepting that the initial money might be gone forever, because I can see some of these companies folding. Especially one that never got off the ground. I guess we'll see how things look by June (final payment). 

I hate to say it, but you may be right to question whether Virgin Cruises will throw in the towel before ever setting sail.  I read that Virgin Atlantic recently asked for state aid.  From a hard dollars and cents standpoint, it may no longer make sense for Branson to keep Virgin Cruises afloat.

14 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

I wonder if the British government will bailout both, Virgin Atlantic & Virgin Voyages? 

I don't see why they would have an interest in doing so.  The Virgin companies are largely independent from each other, aside from the ownership shares of Sir Richard Branson.  With Virgin Voyages headquartered in the U.S. and flagged out of the Bahamas, there really isn't any benefit to the U.K.

3 minutes ago, timf2001 said:

I don't see why they would have an interest in doing so.  The Virgin companies are largely independent from each other, aside from the ownership shares of Sir Richard Branson.  With Virgin Voyages headquartered in the U.S. and flagged out of the Bahamas, there really isn't any benefit to the U.K.

Well Sir Richard as requested a UK bailout for the airline, so why not this.  I would think P&O & Cunard would ask for one as well.

On 4/16/2020 at 11:29 PM, gkbiiii said:

Well Sir Richard as requested a UK bailout for the airline, so why not this.  I would think P&O & Cunard would ask for one as well.

The airline is operated out of the U.K.

Cunard is owned by Carnival.

Virgin Voyages doesn’t even service any U.K. ports for now ...