Silver Shadow

Lirio

Moss just announced that they are still co operating with the Brazilian health authorities. He would like to thank us all for abiding my the instructions.however the Brazilian authorities are curtailing the amount of time and where. Now only 30 mins per deck am and pm and outside only on decks 8 and 9.  No outside service at all

It seems  to  me  that if  it  is  still allowed  that it  is an  OK  exercise, so  why  reduce the  times? 

Maybe  it is  the  surveillance  staff  availability from  the Brazilian side?

I  will  miss the chance for  a really  hot cappuccino !

Hello fellow travellers. We are on the other side of South America on the Explorer. 2 days ago we received news of a positive Covid 19 test. Since then we have been on lockdown with very little news as to our options. We have not been allowed our exercise time and hope that they will soon follow the model you seem to have. They are feeding us fairly well, although my husband wants a hamburger and fries which is not being offered. We are ordering our quarantinis. We were supposed to o to Ar Island, but that has ben cancelled. We were then all supposed to disembark next Wednesday in Valparaiso. The frustration is not having any information. If they would just tell us we have to roam around for 14 days, then we would complai

• Like 1

• So  sorry  to  hear  that Explorer  has  the same  experience.  We did hear  rumours it may be so.    Our crew are trying  their  best to  make  the experience as  painless as  possible. Cabins today  are  cooler  and  I  don't  know if it is the  outside weather[has been showery] or they have  somehow  managed  the  aircon   mixture with cooled  air  added to the outside air.
  • Everyone  did love the  outside exercise a d  conversations today.  A pity  that has been  halved. We still  get  a reasonably  diverse cabin  menu . Staff are wonderful even  though they have personal  risk.
  • I tried for   a fan- am  still waiting to hear after 5  hours
  • What  I  would really  like to  know is how  long we are likely to be here, then, when we are released, where to? I  have flights  and  an  itinerary in  the USA   I should cancel and  flights and accommodation   through  US, then through  New  Zealand  to Australia ,which  will obviously  need  manipulating  or changing altogether. Not  easy  on the spur of the  moment, and  maybe they will even be cancelled by the time  I  get  there, if  ever.  I  may have to return  from  Recife   rather than USA?
  • Has  anyone  any  ideas on  what will  happen?

Today American Airlines informed that as of tomorrow will cancel all flights from Brazil to US.

https://oglobo.globo.com/sociedade/coronavirus/canadense-passageiro-de-cruzeiro-retido-no-recife-testou-positivo-para-coronavirus-1-24306054

Contact of Australia Embassy and consulates in Brazil:

Australian Embassy in Brazil: +55 (61) 3226 3111 (Brazil business hours)

My best wishes for all in Shadow and Explorer

6 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Stumble the only ship going to Marseille was the Costa one.

No news on Silversea ships

The Braemar was at anchor somewhere in the Caribbean last I heard.

Hope all aboard both Silversea vessels are ok,  as well as the pax on the other two vessels.

We continue to keep you in our thoughts!!

Thanks for the clarification, Spins, and correcting my miss understanding.  

Captain announced no new cases aboard. All embassies and consulates working hard to bring us out of the vessel. He has another meeting with officials 9am tomorrow. Difficult find planes or charters etc to get us home and most ports world wide are closed to cruise ships. Hope some good news will arrive to all of us with a new week. 

• Like 2

CNN just reported on the plight of some Cruise ships and mentioned the Shadow and the Explorer and the Braemar. All in quarantine.

One case on shadow and one on Explorer.

Multiple cases ( 6? )on Braemar which is anchored 25 miles off Bahamas.

30 minutes ago, nowornever said:

We just had ours checked & we were below normal...pretty sure we need to drink more wine!

Glad to see your sense of humor is intact nowornever.

I'm home in cold, wet California and following along your every move (ooooops, you're not moving very far at the moment.)

Regards

Dusa aka Mary Ann

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, nowornever said:

pretty sure we need to drink more wine!

I'll drink to that 🙂 & here's hoping that Silversea staff will soften the blow & care for you and all the folks on Shadow and Explorer.  Wishing you all the very best.

• Like 2

Well, after 2 -3  days of sweltering heat in our cabins  things seem to  have improved , with cooler  temperatures.

I  reported that reception  last  night [after my 4th complaint ] told me that  the authorities  had insisted on  higher  temperatures to counter  the  virus [it seems  with the prior  model  of  influenza, less likely to  transmit in summer they assumed  a similarity, but without evidence].

As a  doctor  I  previously  knew that this was only  a theory and  unproven, but  things were evolving  quickly and  I  assumed  that  they would have  the  latest research.

Well, I have  just had  information from  my  Australian  friend who constantly surveys news from  throughout the world, who informed me that Brazilian  authorities  have forced the ship  to  lower  temperatures to reduce the  viral  infectivity.!!!

Was  any  harm done?

I have asked my friend to send the  links to the articles.

Anyway, I am  happy with the more congenial temperatures.

In fact  I had  an email from a  non- medical friend suggesting  that everyone  be put  into a  refrigerator for 5 minutes while our rooms were disinfected . Perhaps good advice?

It seems  more  logical  than our previous  swelter.

• Like 3

Greetings Mary Ann. Thanks for your thoughts. All things considered I’d rather be rolling on the Wind in the N Atlantic than hanging out here watching the mold grow on the adjacent silos.  Moss just announced that the “authorities” said no more jail exercise breaks...or maybe it was phrased differently.  👮

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nowornever said:

hls..

I’m so relieved to hear that your sister’s test was negative. This is great news.  Please pass on my thoughts for a quick recovery & safe trip home. 

Thank you - I woke up to the news this morning in the UK! She's been moved off ICU now and, although still on oxygen, is in better spirits (who thought anyone would ever be relieved to have pneumonia!)

This forun was a great help to me when info was limited as your updates from the Captain were, at times, my updates too - so thank you all!

I hope those of you on board are able to get home soon! As long as you remain healthy, a few days quarentine may be a small price to pay...these are challenging times.

Stay well and stay positive!

• Like 3