Diabetic Type 2 and cruising

marshhawk

I saw on thread that copied John Heald's pre Carnival's notice that stated Diabetics would not be allowed on upcoming cruises.  And then Carnival cancelled the cruises for 30 days.  Did Carnival ever put in writing who would not be allowed on future cruises?  Not John's speculation, but an actual statement in print?   Was this going to be a forever situation?  Or was this just a temporary fix to not be responsible for some one becoming ill.. 

I understand that diabetics, even type two are compromised.  But we are compromised because some of us cannot take medications to make us feel better, like Tylenol, or Advil.  Doesn't appear to make us more susceptible, we just wont be able to cover the discomfort.  I know the phones are slammed at Carnival, and my cruise isn't until June, but I would hate to not get a vacation and find out when I try to board.   So, is there a new health guideline sheet for future cruises?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I saw on thread that copied John Heald's pre Carnival's notice that stated Diabetics would not be allowed on upcoming cruises.  And then Carnival cancelled the cruises for 30 days.  Did Carnival ever put in writing who would not be allowed on future cruises?  Not John's speculation, but an actual statement in print?   Was this going to be a forever situation?  Or was this just a temporary fix to not be responsible for some one becoming ill.. 

I understand that diabetics, even type two are compromised.  But we are compromised because some of us cannot take medications to make us feel better, like Tylenol, or Advil.  Doesn't appear to make us more susceptible, we just wont be able to cover the discomfort.  I know the phones are slammed at Carnival, and my cruise isn't until June, but I would hate to not get a vacation and find out when I try to board.   So, is there a new health guideline sheet for future cruises?

Yes, there is a statement on Carnival's website

• Like 1

When the suspension is over, Carnival might relax these health rules, or, they may keep them in place for a much longer period of time. We have no way of knowing any of this yet and I am sure Carnival is treating this as a side issue to even have to contemplate right now. If our ships sails in May and these rules are not relaxed, we will have to cancel too. I fully understand your concern. Sounds like the guidelines don't even apply to you and even though you mention diabetics, it does not sound as though you are a diabetic. To say you are compromised because you can't take Tylenol, is that even a thing? Maybe intolerence should be your word but when you say " compromised" I would take that to mean you would get sick easier than others or have more severe outcomes should you get sick. I don't think compromised is your word is it, I am asking here on a serious note???

COVID-19 Fatality Rate by COMORBIDITY:

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on pre-existing condition. The percentage shown below does NOT represent in any way the share of deaths by pre-existing condition. Rather, it represents, for a patient with a given pre-existing condition, the risk of dying if infected by COVID-19.

PRE-EXISTING CONDITION
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
Cardiovascular disease
13.2%
10.5%
Diabetes
9.2%
7.3%
Chronic respiratory disease
8.0%
6.3%
Hypertension
8.4%
6.0%
Cancer
7.6%
5.6%
no pre-existing conditions

0.9%

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). The percentages do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by condition.

Found this chart on https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

I had no idea that Diabetes was considered an Immunosuppressed disease.

• Like 1

klfrodo, thank you for valid information that I have not seen.  Looks like DH and I may be spending our vacay this year on a florida beach....

drolltroll, your name says it all.  yes I am a type two diabetic. and have been told by my docs to not take the following-Tylenol, aspirin, Advil, etc. nor can I drink herbal tea.  so unless you can post your medical degree, you should stick to being a troll.

Elaine, I keep checking the website, but cant find info, in fact I went there before I posted here.  I will go back and check. Thanks.  Can you tell me where to look?

Sorry, I was not trolling you, honest. I did not read your post as saying you were a diabetic anywhere.... I was just trying to give you some hope that you could most likely take your cruise because you never said you were a diabetic. You said you were compromised because of an inability to take meds, which still did not make it clear you were a diabetic

Edited by drolltroll
Wrong statement
  • Like 1

I saw in John Heald FB letter dated March 12 regarding 70+ with diabetic (1 and 2) will need a letter from the doctor but NOWHERE in Carnival MAIN site is showing that.  People starting to ask him, will it be a new Carnival policy then he came back he can't answer and check it further.  My frustration is if it is their new rule put it out there so those of us falls into that category we either will ask the doctor for a letter or just simply cancel the cruise.  I am a type 2 and 70+ has spent time to check different social medias for the information while Carnival is not clear about this stuff but yet they turned people away since March 13.

Edited by ChattTenn

Well, when you click on titles and finish reading all the replies you may forget what the title said. Not everyone has a stellar memory. My original post should have indicated to you that I was not realizing the fact you were a diabetic. All you had to say to me was that you are a diabetic, geesh!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChattTenn said:

I saw in John Heald FB letter dated March 12 regarding 70+ with diabetic (1 and 2) will need a letter from the doctor but NOWHERE in Carnival MAIN site is showing that.  People starting to ask him, will it be a new Carnival policy then he came back he can't answer and check it further.  My frustration is if it is their new rule put it out there so those of us falls into that category we either will ask the doctor for a letter or just simply cancel the cruise.  I am a type 2 and 70+ has spent time to check different social medias for the information while Carnival is not clear about this stuff but yet they turned people away since March 13.

While I am very sure this information is extremely important to you, I would imagine that the top decision makers at Carnival are wondering how or if this will be policy going forward once things get back to normal.

However, while this final decision might be on your top 10 list of things to worry about immediately, I doubt if its in the top 500 for the Carnival leadership.

Give them time.

1 minute ago, klfrodo said:

While I am very sure this information is extremely important to you, I would imagine that the top decision makers at Carnival are wondering how or if this will be policy going forward once things get back to normal.

However, while this final decision might be on your top 10 list of things to worry about immediately, I doubt if its in the top 500 for the Carnival leadership.

Give them time.

We have 2 cruises coming (April and June) just want a clear info so we can cancel both, but they will give FCC only so we will HAVE TO cruise again.  After 40+ cruise may be time has come to quit.

Have to assume that this will be lifted at some point. Nobody knows up and down right now and to speculate on what will be when things are changing by the minute probably won't accomplish anything. Wait and see -

If they ban type 2 diabetes they will be banning a large part of their cruising population.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Have to assume that this will be lifted at some point. Nobody knows up and down right now and to speculate on what will be when things are changing by the minute probably won't accomplish anything. Wait and see -

If they ban type 2 diabetes they will be banning a large part of their cruising population.  

I have Type 2 diabetes. Which is managed by a pill once a day. My fiancé and I are supposed to sail May 4-9. I don’t even know what to do at this point. Cancel or hope the restrictions are lifted by then. 

53 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

COVID-19 Fatality Rate by COMORBIDITY:

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on pre-existing condition. The percentage shown below does NOT represent in any way the share of deaths by pre-existing condition. Rather, it represents, for a patient with a given pre-existing condition, the risk of dying if infected by COVID-19.

PRE-EXISTING CONDITION
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
Cardiovascular disease
13.2%
10.5%
Diabetes
9.2%
7.3%
Chronic respiratory disease
8.0%
6.3%
Hypertension
8.4%
6.0%
Cancer
7.6%
5.6%
no pre-existing conditions

0.9%

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). The percentages do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by condition.

Found this chart on https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

I had no idea that Diabetes was considered an Immunosuppressed disease.

5 minutes ago, Oppalopa said:

I am not being snarky does this mean if I have 3 of those illness's my chances of dying are over 22 percent?   

Statistics don't work that way, so No. Not 22%. But higher than those without those diseases

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mtn_dew said:

I have Type 2 diabetes. Which is managed by a pill once a day. My fiancé and I are supposed to sail May 4-9. I don’t even know what to do at this point. Cancel or hope the restrictions are lifted by then. 

If you really wanted to sail, and don't require a sharps container, you could just lie but you are putting yourself at risk. Unless of course you filled out that precruise stuff and already told them you were a diabetic, then you may have a problem if you showed up at the port with the intention of lieing but they already knew you selected as being a diabetic.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Have to agree. Type 2 diabetes is so common, then add the stupid Dr's note (that no doc would ever sign) for over 70's and you've eliminated a large part of your cruising passengers. The one that really got me was the person that reported CPAP users would be denied. I have been on one for 15 years and sleep apnea has nothing to do with your lungs (other than the fact you stop breathing, but again, that is not in the lungs such as respiratory disease such as COPD, it's an obstructed airway) so why would that be an issue.

If all these bans remain in place we won't be cruising again, but not by choice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coopdog08 said:

How does Carnival even know if someone is a diabetic, has cancer or any of the other pre existing conditions? Not sure this can be enforced, just relying on people to be honest? 

They don't unless you filled that precruise stuff out already and even if you havent, if you take injections and they find or notice that, you would get turned away. Pills may not be as obvious if that is all you take but there is no way I would risk it if I was a diabetic, even if I did not use injections.

• Like 1

The 70+ health requirement came out of the meeting between VP Pence and cruise line executives 7 days ago.  CLIA, the Cruise Lines International Association, was challenged by Pence to submit a proposal within 48 hours for allowing cruises to continue, while limiting risk to passengers.  The 70+ requirement came from CLIA, not Carnival, although Carnival and other major lines such as RCCL, and NCL are members of CLIA.  These CLIA requirements were rolled out simultaneously by CLIA members including RCCL and NCL just two days ago. 

Under the pressure of the deadline, and trying to respond to ongoing situations, this was not well thought out.  It should have been obvious that few, if any, medical professionals would assume the liability to sign such a letter.  Carnival cannot unilaterally change this CLIA requirement, but as the largest CLIA member should take the leadership role in getting this straightened out.  I expect we will hear something about this soon.

• Like 1