I have type 2 diabetes and I’m supposed to sail May 4-9

mtn_dew

1 hour ago, mtn_dew said:

Not sure what to do here. Should I wait it out and hope Carnival removes the requirement or just go ahead and cancel? 

We are in the same dilemma.  Not sure if those restrictions will be extended past the original dates.  No diabetes here, but over 70 & mild health issues.

What would I do?

I'd wait a couple of weeks longer before I made a final decision.

It's too early in the timeline to know definitively if the lifecycle of this is in the early stages or the later stages of the cycle..

I'd be watching and listening to multiple sources of news and websites to get a larger picture to make my final determination.

I really don't believe the restrictions will stay. They will lose too many customers. I'm sorry, but if any cruise line or business restricts my patronage because I have type 1 diabetes, my dollars will go elsewhere.None of the other cruise lines implemented the stupid guidelines. 

18 minutes ago, wannagonow123 said:

.None of the other cruise lines implemented the stupid guidelines. 

That's a false statement. All the cruiselines that went with the CLEA recommendations have the same guidelines.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wannagonow123 said:

None of the other cruise lines implemented the stupid guidelines. 

Posted on another thread about Type 2.  Am quite aware of this since we have  upcoming cruises on both CCL and RCCL and received the 70+ fit to sail requirement from both CCL and RCCL.

The 70+ health requirement came out of the meeting between VP Pence and cruise line executives 7 days ago.  CLIA, the Cruise Lines International Association, was challenged by Pence to submit a proposal within 48 hours for allowing cruises to continue, while limiting risk to passengers.  The 70+ requirement came from CLIA, not Carnival, although Carnival and other major lines such as RCCL, and NCL are members of CLIA.  These CLIA requirements were rolled out simultaneously by CLIA members including RCCL and NCL just two days ago. 

Under the pressure of the deadline, and trying to respond to ongoing situations, this was not well thought out.  It should have been obvious that few, if any, medical professionals would assume the liability to sign such a letter.  Carnival cannot unilaterally change this CLIA requirement, but as the largest CLIA member should take the leadership role in getting this straightened out.  I expect we will hear something about this soon.

1 hour ago, TomCruise48 said:

Under the pressure of the deadline, and trying to respond to ongoing situations, this was not well thought out.  It should have been obvious that few, if any, medical professionals would assume the liability to sign such a letter.  Carnival cannot unilaterally change this CLIA requirement, but as the largest CLIA member should take the leadership role in getting this straightened out.  I expect we will hear something about this soon.

I think it was obvious to them, and that was exactly the point.  It would have been really ugly to prohibit everyone over 70 to cruise, so by placing a requirement that is almost impossible to meet, they got the same result with less outrage from a huge number of cruisers.

I believe these restrictions will be with us until a vaccine is developed . Perhaps they will be well defined  and narrowed as we gain data.  I do hope not just for cruising but for all everyday life ,they better define underlying health... like what about people who have high blood pressure that well controlled with meds .. is that like type 2?  .. in the US a crazy amount of folks are on blood pressure meds and type is on the rise.     Data will tell Us over time ..

The facts are now it affects  the elderly  especially with underlying health issues differently -it has a higher morbidly rate for that group. It has overwhelmed heath delivery in many countries that are the height of the curve. 
Some of those countries are now thinking anyone over 65 self quarantine .. 

governments of all kinds will be taking control to mitigate the risks with a majority of the population getting sick at the same time.. praying for the science that get this vaccine or treatment quicker .. 

The cruiselines would have to change all of their cruises to being 7 or fewer days if that policy doesn't change.  We did a 14 day HAL cruise to Alaska about 12 years ago.  The average age on that cruise was probably 68.  We had their version of Your time dining and were seated with different groups every night.  Every night we were seated with retired folks who were well over 65.  Not too many working folks can afford a 14 day cruise.  Very few children were on the ship.  Who else can go on a 32 day cruise?