Spring Break over In FLL - Beaches Closed Down in FLL and MIA

Jim_Iain

As we spend our last day in Fort Lauderdale after cancellation of Celebrity Equinox.

Last night it was announced all beaches in Fort Lauderdale and Miami will be closed.   In addition all restaurants will be required to cut capacity by 50%.    Bars and Restaurants need to be cleared out by 11:00 so have imposed.     Most are closing at 10:00 PM   Including our Embassy Suites, our hotel.

Spring Break is over

11 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Jim did they give a time line?  Like, for the next 2 week, months?  In our area 2 weeks seems to be the magic number.

Currently the beaches have been closed to address Spring Break crowding...  Restaurants and bars are closing early for similar reason...

At present Fort Lauderdale has closed its beaches through April 12, Miami has closed its beaches through March 19...  Both will revisit those dates as necessary...  In my community--about nine miles of south of Port Everglades--the beach has been closed until further notice... 

38 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

Wonder if this includes private beaches by hotels? We are currently in FLL since our cruise was cancelled. I guess we shall see when we go down today 

I’ve been to Fort Lauderdale a number of times and had no idea there were private beaches. Where are they?

Edited by lienf

6 minutes ago, Swampbabe said:

There are no private beaches in Florida. Everything is public to the mean high tide mark.

I guess I didn’t mean private beaches. I just meant the ones in front of the hotels, as at this time the beach at our hotel is open 

3 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

I guess I didn’t mean private beaches. I just meant the ones in front of the hotels, as at this time the beach at our hotel is open 

The ones in front of your hotel are public also to the mean high water mark.

Just now, Purplsmurf said:

Hmmm....ok. The beach is open at our hotel so that’s weird

They don’t have the manpower to enforce the ban on the entire beach. Concentrating on crowded Spring Break type areas. They will continue to close things up early and limit numbers. Bottom line, they’re trying to get you to go home.

7 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

Wonder if this includes private beaches by hotels? We are currently in FLL since our cruise was cancelled. I guess we shall see when we go down today 

When we took off didn’t see a person on beach.   Haven’t heard about private beaches.   I think intent was to get Spring Breakers to go home. 

Was down in South Beach, looked up the coast towards Ft Lauderdale and the beaches were packed.  Police did shut down all the large parking lots but it appear people found there way to the beach anyway.... 

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

As we spend our last day in Fort Lauderdale after cancellation of Celebrity Equinox.

Last night it was announced all beaches in Fort Lauderdale and Miami will be closed.   In addition all restaurants will be required to cut capacity by 50%.    Bars and Restaurants need to be cleared out by 11:00 so have imposed.     Most are closing at 10:00 PM   Including our Embassy Suites, our hotel.

Spring Break is over

It will be the same when you come back to CA here.... all bars and restaurants closed.  The freezing beaches are still open!

Staying at the Hilton Resort on the beach in Fort Lauderdale.  The beach here is deserted as far as we can see ( from the 22nd floor)  in both directions.  Police were here by sunrise patrolling the beach with lights flashing.  

On 3/16/2020 at 9:03 AM, Purplsmurf said:

I believe only the public beaches are closed. The beach at our hotel is open

No such thing as a private beach.

All beaches in the US are public up to the mean high tide line.

There is restricted and private access but no private beaches.

On 3/16/2020 at 10:09 AM, Swampbabe said:

They don’t have the manpower to enforce the ban on the entire beach. Concentrating on crowded Spring Break type areas. They will continue to close things up early and limit numbers. Bottom line, they’re trying to get you to go home.

Actually, we do have the manpower.

All beaches closed from Miami Beach and up through Palm Beach.

Just now, BlueHerons said:

Actually, we do have the manpower.

All beaches closed from Miami Beach and up through Palm Beach.

They weren’t deploying that manpower at the time of this post. As you know, things are changing daily. Brevard  county didn’t close the beaches but closed the county parking lots and they are running boats up and down telling parties of more than ten to disperse.

1 minute ago, Swampbabe said:

They weren’t deploying that manpower at the time of this post. As you know, things are changing daily. Brevard  county didn’t close the beaches but closed the county parking lots and they are running boats up and down telling parties of more than ten to disperse.

Here in Broward, the police have a very heavy presence and between the horse patrol and the SWAT toys, no one anywhere is on the beach.  I do my daily cardio between 17th Street and almost LBTS.  

We have four times the population Brevard has.  We have a many, many more police.

19 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

Here in Broward, the police have a very heavy presence and between the horse patrol and the SWAT toys, no one anywhere is on the beach.  I do my daily cardio between 17th Street and almost LBTS.  

We have four times the population Brevard has.  We have a many, many more police.

I’m well aware of the size disparity of the two counties. I grew up in South Florida, native Floridian. You’re replying to a post that is a few days old and at THAT time Broward was not deploying all of those resources at the beach. We were deploying none. Pinellas is closing their beaches tomorrow.

20 minutes ago, Swampbabe said:

I’m well aware of the size disparity of the two counties. I grew up in South Florida, native Floridian. You’re replying to a post that is a few days old and at THAT time Broward was not deploying all of those resources at the beach. We were deploying none. Pinellas is closing their beaches tomorrow.

Congrats on being a native Floridian!