for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

We’re booking a family (14) trip to Hawaii for next June. I lobbied for a cruise instead but everyone has their hearts set on a week in Hawaii. We were able to book the HaleKoa (military hotel) for everyone which was a relief. It’s a many celebration trip; our 55th wedding anniversary, Les’s 75th bday, our middle daughter’s 50th bday, oldest daughter’s 33rd wedding anniversary, next to youngest granddaughter’s 18th bday & high school graduation (that’s what started the ball rolling) & youngest granddaughter’s 16th bday. It’ll be like herding cats!!!  Pearl Harbor, Punchbowl  & Diamond Head must trips. Luau at HaleKoa a definite must. Looking forward to having everyone together & just sitting on the beach. Will start looking for airfare in next couple of weeks. Melody

• Like 3

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

We’re booking a family (14) trip to Hawaii for next June. I lobbied for a cruise instead but everyone has their hearts set on a week in Hawaii. We were able to book the HaleKoa (military hotel) for everyone which was a relief. It’s a many celebration trip; our 55th wedding anniversary, Les’s 75th bday, our middle daughter’s 50th bday, oldest daughter’s 33rd wedding anniversary, next to youngest granddaughter’s 18th bday & high school graduation (that’s what started the ball rolling) & youngest granddaughter’s 16th bday. It’ll be like herding cats!!!  Pearl Harbor, Punchbowl  & Diamond Head must trips. Luau at HaleKoa a definite must. Looking forward to having everyone together & just sitting on the beach. Will start looking for airfare in next couple of weeks. Melody

HI Melody, sounds like it will be a fun trip. It is pretty cool that the family all get along so well and being together for a week......but I am with you on doing the cruise. So once ya'll get to the hotel, do you eat all your meals together? Have to agree (all 14) on when and where to do dinner? Just curious on how that works. 

There will sure be a lot of celebrations though!

• Like 1

@awhfy  Wow, sounds like quite the vacation!  I stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort, just next door to the HaleKoa -- that's a beautiful property and you're lucky to be able to stay there. I had a room facing Diamond Head, so overlooked the HaleKoa. I like this location very much. 🙌

I'm sure you'll all have a great time. Seems like Hawaii has something for everyone (kind of like a cruise.... 😉).

• Like 1

I stayed next door at HHV, also.  Back when I was working at the Waldorf Astoria here, the husband of the new HHV General Manager stayed here with their sweet dog, Buddy.  Buddy was doing his quarantine with us.  The GM gave me a very sweet discount when I went there a few weeks after they all left.  First thing I saw - Buddy!  I called his name and he came running.  A great welcome!

Make sure you go up to the Diamond Head Market and get their totally yummy cream cheese scones!!!  Walk it off going back down to HaleKoa!   If it is still there, head to Marukame Udon, just a little walk away on King St.  Hand made noodles.  You wait in line.  It’s kind of like cafeteria-style.  Get a tray, pick out your udon, go down the line while it’s being made, pick out your additions, grab some tempura, get your drink, pay, find a table.  Always got out of there under $10.  

Cynthia - keep checking your reservation.  If something opens up, Delta will give a little “upgrade” message on their website.

Lois - is the Haagen Daz frozen yogurt or “regular” yogurt?

If anyone is looking for lightweight maxi skirts for summer, go check out Natural Life.  They just posted a bunch of new fun looks.  If I was going somewhere (I’m just camping this summer),  I’d probably pick up one.  

Hot again today.  Going to sit out on the patio a little bit later this afternoon after it cools a little.  Going to make a watermelon, blueberry and feta salad for dinner.  Just sounds good.

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi girls,🙂 need some assistance. Next month (wow, I can now say next month LOL)......I sail from South Hampton to Copenhagen for 12 nights and I am staying in Copenhagen for 1 night post cruise. Has anyone visited there before? Can I possibly get some information on what would be the best type of tour to take? I know I can post this over on the Ports board for Copenhagen but thought I would see if anyone on here has visited there before🙂 I am staying at hotel through the cruise line so that is already booked. And this will be my first time in Denmark.

Thanks so much🙂

5 hours ago, awhfy said:

Be prepared for sticker shock at the Hale Koa restaurants....particularly Biba's....limited menu, small portions & huge prices at least that's what we found a couple of years ago & the brunch is way overpriced for the offerings.

57 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Be prepared for sticker shock at the Hale Koa restaurants....particularly Biba's....limited menu, small portions & huge prices at least that's what we found a couple of years ago & the brunch is way overpriced for the offerings.

The brunch is no more. It was cancelled last year. They now do prime rib & seafood buffets ($52pp) twice a week

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

I stayed next door at HHV, also.  Back when I was working at the Waldorf Astoria here, the husband of the new HHV General Manager stayed here with their sweet dog, Buddy.  Buddy was doing his quarantine with us.  The GM gave me a very sweet discount when I went there a few weeks after they all left.  First thing I saw - Buddy!  I called his name and he came running.  A great welcome!

Make sure you go up to the Diamond Head Market and get their totally yummy cream cheese scones!!!  Walk it off going back down to HaleKoa!   If it is still there, head to Marukame Udon, just a little walk away on King St.  Hand made noodles.  You wait in line.  It’s kind of like cafeteria-style.  Get a tray, pick out your udon, go down the line while it’s being made, pick out your additions, grab some tempura, get your drink, pay, find a table.  Always got out of there under $10.  

Cynthia - keep checking your reservation.  If something opens up, Delta will give a little “upgrade” message on their website.

Lois - is the Haagen Daz frozen yogurt or “regular” yogurt?

If anyone is looking for lightweight maxi skirts for summer, go check out Natural Life.  They just posted a bunch of new fun looks.  If I was going somewhere (I’m just camping this summer),  I’d probably pick up one.  

Hot again today.  Going to sit out on the patio a little bit later this afternoon after it cools a little.  Going to make a watermelon, blueberry and feta salad for dinner.  Just sounds good.

I’ve stayed at HHV several times when I was there on business & this’ll be stay #5 for us at HaleKoa. I know the udon place you referenced

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

HI Melody, sounds like it will be a fun trip. It is pretty cool that the family all get along so well and being together for a week......but I am with you on doing the cruise. So once ya'll get to the hotel, do you eat all your meals together? Have to agree (all 14) on when and where to do dinner? Just curious on how that works. 

There will sure be a lot of celebrations though!

We plan on just doing dinners together with each family picking a night & location. I already picked the luau lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, awhfy said:

We plan on just doing dinners together with each family picking a night & location. I already picked the luau lol

Sounds great😃

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lois R said:

I am staying in Copenhagen for 1 night post cruise. Has anyone visited there before? Can I possibly get some information on what would be the best type of tour to take?

Hi Lois, I haven't been to Copenhagen for a long time (about 15 years when I did a Baltics cruise with DS).

Depending on where your hotel is located and what interests you, some things you could perhaps walk to and do on your own.

Tivoli Gardens is nice -- yes, it is an amusement park but not in the "Disney World" sense. There are rides but there are also gardens, ponds, pretty architecture, etc. (In other words it's not just for kids). They have some nice restaurants inside. It might be fun to go around early evening, walk around the park a little and then have dinner there.

Nyhavn is probably the most "must see" place for tourists -- it has pretty, narrow, colorful houses and shops. They offer a canal tour from there that I think you would like. If I remember correctly, there are at least two vendors, not sure if there is any difference between the two. We did the tour in the morning (I seem to remember it lasting somewhere between an hour and two hours), then found a cute place for lunch outside next to one of the canals -- it was a restaurant that offered the traditional open-faced sandwiches (smorrebrot) with various toppings.

The main shopping street (but also with pretty architecture) is called Stroget (pronounced "Stroy-yet").  If your hotel is near them (many of them are), it's a pleasant pedestrian-only walk of a few blocks with things to see and nice stores.

DS and I enjoyed the National Museum of Denmark, especially the Viking displays there. 

I'm not a big fan of castles and "Changing of the Guard" ceremonies, but Copenhagen does have a couple of nice castles and one has the ceremony daily at noon.

This link covers a lot of the above and maybe gives a bit more info on some. 

https://www.visitdenmark.com/denmark/things-do/attractions/copenhagen?

• Like 1

Hi Cynthia, thanks so much for the detailed response🙂  I knew about Tivoli Gardens but not really all about it.........and all the other stuff sounds pretty interesting too! 

This is the hotel I am staying at https://www.sktpetri.com/?utm_source=google-gbp&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gbp

It is located near the Latin Quarter and looks really nice.(It says it is centrally located)  If I can walk around on my own within a reasonable distance to and from the hotel, I would be ok with that for sure. I will look much more closely at the visitdenmark link you posted.🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lois R said:

WOW Melody! Those are giant! Glad you were inside. Looks like that could really hurt.

Thirdcbigvstormbthiscweekb& we’ve had 2 more storms this afternoon with a couple more due tonight. Pretty tired of this, we’ll spend tomorrow cleaning branches, again 

Hi Melody your weather sounds like ours,we’re away at the lake for the weekend and it’s raining again,by the way lovely garden photos and a great idea to protect your pots with the umbrellas.

My mother and l leave on our trip two weeks today,it’s been a long wait .

Cynthia exciting news about your Rome booking,I’m pretty sure it was you that recommended the Albergo del Senato where we ending up booking and are staying at.

Kat you sound like my husband with the dentist,he’s had a filling replaced three times and got a crown last week,so pricey.I just remembered last time we were in Rome he broke his tooth on a sandwich at the train station! 
I forgot to say when I was in San Francisco I found a gold sequin top at Bloomingdale’s on sale for $50 for the formal wedding and have got some wide leg black pants to wear with it,Bloomingdale’s is closing there soon so a few bargains,I’ll take the outfit on the cruise as well

Enjoy your weekend everyone

• Like 3

Melody - we’ve had that hail for awhile, too.  Fortunately, it’s been just pea-sized stones.  Still makes a racket when it hits the metal flashing on the chimney.  
Melissa - sounds like some successful shopping was had.  Are you all set for the cruise now?

Allow me a moment to rant.  Freakin long Covid.  I had the total fatigue the past couple of days.  I had to nap for a couple of hours every afternoon.  I couldn’t get enough energy to do anything.  This is the one residual thing that burns me.  Hopefully I can get it together today because I need to get breakfast food and some dinner stuff.  If I do that, I’ll consider that a success.

OOTD:  denim shorts, a Woolx T-shirt, my trail runners.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrToblerone said:

Hi Kat my husband is the same , so tired . He hasnt ever tested positive for covid though , just had a nasty virus.

All set for my cruise , just thinking about buying an apple airtag , anyone tried one ?

Not Apple but we have Samsung ones....work great.

• Like 1

I use Apple AirTags. Haven’t had to use to find anything yet.

Update today:  SUCCESS.  I got into town.  Drove up Main St because I hadn’t been up the since April.  New stores, new restaurants, the summer patios built on the street by restaurants.  At least no chain restaurants have shown up.  It was crowded.   I made it to the grocery store and got my stuff.  And I went to the Mexican tienda y taqueria and got some street tacos.  They had a low carb Modelo beer so I had to buy it.  Not bad.  
Hope this keeps up.  I never know when I’m going to crash.  Makes activity and vacation planning interesting.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrToblerone said:

Hi Kat my husband is the same , so tired . He hasnt ever tested positive for covid though , just had a nasty virus.

All set for my cruise , just thinking about buying an apple airtag , anyone tried one ?

I love my apple AirTags. I was able to tell the gate agent that my luggage was not on the plane & showed them it hadn’t left the luggage checkin area, she made a call & we both watched the luggage moving very quickly to the plane. My luggage was the first off at our destination. Gate agent was very impressed. We now have one in our car too. Melody 

• Like 3