Refunds

Globetrotter21

Just now, Rock_Dr said:

They are not letting people with diabetes on board.  Did you even read my post?

I did.  Do we know what they are doing in July?  No  If THEY cancel or deny you boarding, you have options.  YOU cancelled.  Back to the rest of my post, do you have insurance?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rock_Dr said:

They aren't letting ANYONE on-board right now.  All I'm saying is don't bash Carnival for a decision you made. I have not seen documentation anywhere that states people with diabetes cannot sail.  You jumped the gun.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Rock_Dr said:

I just cancelled my July cruise because I have diabetes and there is no clear guidance on whether that ban will be lifted by then.  I cancelled just before the final payment was due and was informed I will pay a cancellation penalty.  I will end up loosing my "non-refundable deposit."  Looks like they lost my future business.

Because those cruises are still slated to go, they are going to adhere to their usual rules, and that means you lose your non refundable deposit. Certainly not Carnival’s fault. It was YOU that wanted to cancel. They had every right to keep it. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TAIC1234 said:

Yes - I am biased Carnival.  We've never had anything less than a great experience with them and feel that they try to do right by their customer's.  If THEY cancel on you, they are willing to issue you a full refund, albeit up to 90 days to get it back, or a FCC with a generous OBC for a future cruise.  They have earned my loyalty over the years. 

Perhaps you could have contacted your PVP and asked them to extend your final payment date?  

I waited it out, and had enough FCC to pay for my next cruise entirely PLUS $1200 OBC. In my opinion, Carnival had every right to keep his deposit. It was a non refundable deposit. And his cruise is still slated to sail.

12 minutes ago, Rock_Dr said:

But by July they may be letting diabetics board again. This is only April. You should have either waited it out, or accept that you lost your deposit. Since I usually pay for my cruises in full when I book, I knew I’d lose money if I cancelled, and my hubby and I are senior citizens with high blood pressure. I waited it out, and got 100% FCC with $1200 OBC. If they did not cancel, I would have cancelled at last minute and accept what they gave me.

12 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Show me where it says they said you cannot go.

Precisely. All he needed was a note from Dr stating he was Fit To Cruise. My hubby had an appointment to get one (over 70 and with high BP) but then our cruise was cancelled. We changed our inside cabin to balcony before they cancelled, in case we got quarantined to our cabin. But in the end, we decided we’d cancel if they didn’t, just to remain safe. 

2 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I waited it out, and had enough FCC to pay for my next cruise entirely PLUS $1200 OBC. In my opinion, Carnival had every right to keep his deposit. It was a non refundable deposit. And his cruise is still slated to sail.

Yes mam, I agree.  The best bet would have been to ask PVP or a Carnival rep. to extend final payment date and wait it out versus a knee-jerk reaction.  He admitted that he would have rather lost his deposit versus having his money tied up, but yet it's still Carnival's fault...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I did.  Do we know what they are doing in July?  No  If THEY cancel or deny you boarding, you have options.  YOU cancelled.  Back to the rest of my post, do you have insurance?

Another good point for everyone. Always travel with trip insurance. Ever since I had to return home from a cruise mid way through to return home due to an emergency in 1995, and lost $$$$ (not just a deposit—THOUSANDS), I NEVER cruise without trip insurance now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rock_Dr said:

I CANCELLED BECAUSE THEY SAID I CAN"T GO.

I CANCELLED BECAUSE THEY SAID I CAN"T GO.

Chargeback or dispute with credit card anyway.   You do have a valid reason.  Who knows if the cruise line will even have the time to reply and if they don’t then you automatically win!  Even if you lose, you can get a little bit of revenge knowing they get charged by the CC for every dispute win or lose, plus all the time it took to stop what they were doing, research your case and write a cognizant response.  

I received an email on 3/30 from Carnival telling me my April 16th cruise was canceled - by Carnival.  Filled out the form provided and requested a full refund.  On 4/8, I received another email - standard form letter from Carnival, saying they were sorry " your reservation has cancelled. If your cancellation occurred during the penalty period the amount will be listed below."  At the bottom of the letter under "Penalty Assessed," the amount shown is $0.00.   They also noted that the "unprecedented situation" is delaying processing times so "calling/emailing us" will not expedite the process.  And of course they "appreciate my patience." In the meantime, I check my credit card account daily....one can only hope that one day that refund will suddenly appear....😁

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SemperFi_Cruiser said:

I received an email on 3/30 from Carnival telling me my April 16th cruise was canceled - by Carnival.  Filled out the form provided and requested a full refund.  On 4/8, I received another email - standard form letter from Carnival, saying they were sorry " your reservation has cancelled. If your cancellation occurred during the penalty period the amount will be listed below."  At the bottom of the letter under "Penalty Assessed," the amount shown is $0.00.   They also noted that the "unprecedented situation" is delaying processing times so "calling/emailing us" will not expedite the process.  And of course they "appreciate my patience." In the meantime, I check my credit card account daily....one can only hope that one day that refund will suddenly appear....😁

I don’t expect my refund to land to my credit card until sometime toward the end of June. They said to not expect it for 90 days.

Carnival cancelled my cruise (Radiance in August). I chose the 100% refund option.  Not only have I not received my refund, I received an email stating that since I cancelled my cruise, I won't be receiving my non refundable deposit back. Is this right? Anyone have a number other than the generic 1-800 that I could call?

Carnival cancelled my cruise (Radiance in August). They gave me the option for the FCC with OBC or to cancel with a 100% refund. I received a phone call from a PVP to help me, but I accidently deleted the message. No big deal, I went online and chose the 100% refund option with the realization that the refund would take awhile. I opened my email this morning to find a message from Carnival stating that they are sorry I cancelled my cruise, and because of that I will be penalized my non refundable deposit. Part of it will be FCC and the rest of it is a loss.  I would understand this if I backed out, but they are the ones who cancelled. Ugh. I'm not happy right now.  Anyone have a PVP phone number they are willing to share? Or some advice?

3 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

If Carnival canceled on you, You should receive 100% of your money back, if you don't get it resolved Call your CC company or your State Attorney General

I'd call carnival first.

Having worked credit card disputes, it doesnt resolve all problems, just gets it off your credit card at times. People wrongly assume the merchant cant bill you direct or block you from further cruises. It was a mistake. Call carnival. Try to get it fixed yourself. 

Just to let people know if you chose the FCC and the $600.00 OBC..You cannot use FCC to book your next cruise for your deposit...Carnival wanted another $400.00 Just tried and it didn't work.....Oh well guess I have to take the refund option...

sjmbruce, I got that same letter two days after my cruise was cancelled and i had already worked everything out. I emailed my PVP and she said to ignore it, computer generated, and should not have been sent out. 

Edited by cellfree

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'd call carnival first.

Having worked credit card disputes, it doesnt resolve all problems, just gets it off your credit card at times. People wrongly assume the merchant cant bill you direct or block you from further cruises. It was a mistake. Call carnival. Try to get it fixed yourself. 

Yeah that's what I meant to imply....Must be getting tired

31 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

Just to let people know if you chose the FCC and the $600.00 OBC..You cannot use FCC to book your next cruise for your deposit...Carnival wanted another $400.00 Just tried and it didn't work.....Oh well guess I have to take the refund option...

I talked to a PVP, and had her transfer all my FCC to my new booking while Iwas on the phone with her. My cruise was paid in full, so I guess I wasn’t told I need to pay anything additional. 

8 hours ago, Rock_Dr said:

I’m pretty sure that if you are being held off the ship due to your diabetes, you old get 100% refund.  Here is the letter they sent us about being over 70 years old.  I’m sure you would of gotten the same offer (or would get this letter before sailing) your July cruise. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f7cb85f0eb5716eb5e6b3e111318e4b9.jpeg

We cancelled a Back to Back in February.

This was the Legend trip to Europe and we saw the writing on the wall.

We always book Past Guest so we can cancel without a penalty before the final payment date.

We were told 10-14 days . ( because it was before all the chaos )

They refunded the cheaper ( 2nd Cruise ) but not the first one one ( over $6,000).

Both were cancelled the same day .

So weeks later ... my Travel Agent filed an inquiry when the first refund did not come.

Finally we got a letter from the Carnival Refund Dept. saying the $6,000+ had been credited on my Chase card on March 26th.

Well, we are still waiting .....