Refunds

Globetrotter21

6 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

Chargeback or dispute with credit card anyway.   You do have a valid reason.  Who knows if the cruise line will even have the time to reply and if they don’t then you automatically win!  Even if you lose, you can get a little bit of revenge knowing they get charged by the CC for every dispute win or lose, plus all the time it took to stop what they were doing, research your case and write a cognizant response.  

Revenge....lol.  Now that is the worst answer I have heard in a while....lol

42 minutes ago, LHP said:

We cancelled a Back to Back in February.

This was the Legend trip to Europe and we saw the writing on the wall.

We always book Past Guest so we can cancel without a penalty before the final payment date.

We were told 10-14 days . ( because it was before all the chaos )

They refunded the cheaper ( 2nd Cruise ) but not the first one one ( over $6,000).

Both were cancelled the same day .

So weeks later ... my Travel Agent filed an inquiry when the first refund did not come.

Finally we got a letter from the Carnival Refund Dept. saying the $6,000+ had been credited on my Chase card on March 26th.

Well, we are still waiting .....

Ok, I will ask, did you contact the cc company?

11 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

Just to let people know if you chose the FCC and the $600.00 OBC..You cannot use FCC to book your next cruise for your deposit...Carnival wanted another $400.00 Just tried and it didn't work.....Oh well guess I have to take the refund option...

Then explain to me why I was able to transfer 100% of my FCC from 2 cancelled cruises on my 14 day Journey cruise (it was a B2B), it left a balance of $914, but they used part of my $1600 refunds to pay the balance. Were my refunds used as the deposit? I did not incur any other out of pocket expense. I still have about $707 of refunds that will land to my credit card. And I also earned $1200 OBC from the 2 cruises cancelled. It already shows in my booking details.

Supposed to be on a sailing now.  Have received a refund of all EXCEPT fun shops purchase (@$130)

had initially moved some some funds to a November sailing but earlier this week decided to just go for a full refund and book something once the dust settles.

we are bummed because we love to cruise. But at this point I just want my money back so I can move on. 

3 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Then explain to me why I was able to transfer 100% of my FCC from 2 cancelled cruises on my 14 day Journey cruise (it was a B2B), it left a balance of $914, but they used part of my $1600 refunds to pay the balance. Were my refunds used as the deposit? I did not incur any other out of pocket expense. I still have about $707 of refunds that will land to my credit card. And I also earned $1200 OBC from the 2 cruises cancelled. It already shows in my booking details.

Thats it exactly.  If you had paid off more than your deposit, THOSE funds can be applied as the deposit for future cruises. The FCC is supposed to be so people dont lose their deposits from their CANCELLED cruises, whatever the DEPOSITis, is what the FCC will be.  

Many people are getting confused about OBC too.  If you got any OBC from a special from a CANCELLED cruise, that might not transfer to your newly booked cruise (depends if the new cruise has the same specials- it may be different/absent).  Any money left over (above the deposit) after it is applied to the newly booked cruise from the CANCELLED cruise can be also applied as additional OBC ( up to $500, anything over that $500 is refunded to the original form of payment).

Hope this helps!

baf

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

Just to let people know if you chose the FCC and the $600.00 OBC..You cannot use FCC to book your next cruise for your deposit...Carnival wanted another $400.00 Just tried and it didn't work.....Oh well guess I have to take the refund option...

That is not true, I did it for 5 separate rooms. No money out of pocket.  Only one has a balance due, and that is because the new cruise is double the price of the original.  All you need to do is put a booking on hold (no deposit paid yet), and then have your TA, PVP, or yourself call in and have them apply the fcc towards that new booking number.

11 minutes ago, rukkian said:

That is not true, I did it for 5 separate rooms. No money out of pocket.  Only one has a balance due, and that is because the new cruise is double the price of the original.  All you need to do is put a booking on hold (no deposit paid yet), and then have your TA, PVP, or yourself call in and have them apply the fcc towards that new booking number.

This ^^^

I did the same thing...I put the room I wanted on a 48 hour hold and then basically asked the Carnival rep to move our cancelled Hawaii cruise scheduled for September 2020 to the new "on hold" room...which is now scheduled a year later in September 2021. 

She did this by just transferring the FCC and $ already paid on the 2020 cruise.  Didn't cost me any additional $ to make the new booking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bafinegan said:

Thats it exactly.  If you had paid off more than your deposit, THOSE funds can be applied as the deposit for future cruises. The FCC is supposed to be so people dont lose their deposits from their CANCELLED cruises, whatever the DEPOSITis, is what the FCC will be.  

Many people are getting confused about OBC too.  If you got any OBC from a special from a CANCELLED cruise, that might not transfer to your newly booked cruise (depends if the new cruise has the same specials- it may be different/absent).  Any money left over (above the deposit) after it is applied to the newly booked cruise from the CANCELLED cruise can be also applied as additional OBC ( up to $500, anything over that $500 is refunded to the original form of payment).

Hope this helps!

baf

Yes, thank you! 

And to clarify about the FCC.  Those of you who were able to just transfer everything over to your new booking, I'm betting you had payments above and beyond the deposit of your canceled cruise to cover the deposit on your newly booked cruise.  The FCC can then be applied to the remainder of the balance of your new cruise.  Money shuffle I know, but this is how Carnival does it because they state in their basic rules that FCC cannot be used as a deposit ( don't understand why not, but there ya go🤨🙄)  

Remember, the FCC is in the amount of your deposit on the canceled cruise so you won't lose that money.  That is why the option for a 100% refund was also given.

baf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bafinegan said:

And to clarify about the FCC.  Those of you who were able to just transfer everything over to your new booking, I'm betting you had payments above and beyond the deposit of your canceled cruise to cover the deposit on your newly booked cruise.  The FCC can then be applied to the remainder of the balance of your new cruise.  Money shuffle I know, but this is how Carnival does it because they state in their basic rules that FCC cannot be used as a deposit ( don't understand why not, but there ya go🤨🙄)  

Remember, the FCC is in the amount of your deposit on the canceled cruise so you won't lose that money.  That is why the option for a 100% refund was also given.

baf

Thanks for the tips and info!

7 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I just talked to my PVP at Carnival yesterday, Tryed to book another European cruise leaving out of Dover on the legend in August 21, She told me I cannot use my $400.00 that Carnival owes me in FCC for a deposit and that I would have to put down a additional $400.00 deposit to secure that booking, which I was not going to do

3 hours ago, rukkian said:

Its true for me at least, per my PVP

baf

Thanks, I just had the $400.00 which was only a deposit

baf

If you are saying you can take the FCC for the non-deposit on the cancelled cruise, and use that for deposit, sure, but that doesn't matter to the user.  It is just behind the scenes things. 

I had 5 rooms from 2 sailings that got cancelled, and all were able to get their deposit paid from their cancelled cruise fcc, but to do it, you have to have a new booking.  I simply booked each of the 5 rooms, and then called in, and had them transfer one by one from the old to the new.  The FCC took care of the deposit, and the full payment.  Only one had any extra, the others were either more expensive, or about the same.  

2 minutes ago, rukkian said:

If you are saying you can take the FCC for the non-deposit on the cancelled cruise, and use that for deposit, sure, but that doesn't matter to the user.  It is just behind the scenes things. 

I had 5 rooms from 2 sailings that got cancelled, and all were able to get their deposit paid from their cancelled cruise fcc, but to do it, you have to have a new booking.  I simply booked each of the 5 rooms, and then called in, and had them transfer one by one from the old to the new.  The FCC took care of the deposit, and the full payment.  Only one had any extra, the others were either more expensive, or about the same.  

FCC is only for the deposit used on the cancelled cruise.  The rest of monies paid on those cancelled cruise is yours.  Technically NOT an FCC.  That is how it can be used as a deposit on the new cruise.  Semantics, I know, but that is how Carnival us doing it.

baf 

13 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

Thanks, I just had the $400.00 which was only a deposit

That is different.  It sounds like you cancelled versus the cruise line cancelling, which is why your FCC was only for the deposit, which makes more sense.  For those of us that the cruise line cancelled we had the option of 100% refund or 100%fcc +600 OBC.  We took the FCC, so we had the full amount of the cruise, and that simply transferred over to the new booking with no payment, and covered the deposit, and full fare.  Since we had also prepaid grats, that got paid as well.

Just now, bafinegan said:

FCC is only for the deposit used on the cancelled cruise.  The rest of monies paid on those cancelled cruise is yours.  Technically NOT an FCC.  That is how it can be used as a deposit on the new cruise.  Semantics, I know, but that is how Carnival us doing it.

baf 

We got an FCC for the full 100%.  We did not get money back.

1 minute ago, rukkian said:

That is different.  It sounds like you cancelled versus the cruise line cancelling, which is why your FCC was only for the deposit, which makes more sense.  For those of us that the cruise line cancelled we had the option of 100% refund or 100%fcc +600 OBC.  We took the FCC, so we had the full amount of the cruise, and that simply transferred over to the new booking with no payment, and covered the deposit, and full fare.  Since we had also prepaid grats, that got paid as well.

No they canceled on me, Legend European Cruise

2 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

But you COULD have gotten a refund, not an FCC.  If you rebook right away, the FCC is only for the amount of deposit. 

baf

I could have chosen a full 100% refund, deposit included, and then would have had $0 fcc.  I choose to get 100% fcc, it was not just for deposit.

This is from the email sent to me canceling my AUg Alaska cruise.  Note the fine print where it says "The Future Cruise Credit (FCC) is based on the cancellation fees retained by Carnival for this voyage, "  Not trying to start an argument, just trying to clarify.  This goes along with what my PVP was able to do and what he told me could be done.  Have a great day all!❤️

baf

carnival.PNG

carnival 2.PNG

Edited by bafinegan
spelling

35 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

I just talked to my PVP at Carnival yesterday, Tryed to book another European cruise leaving out of Dover on the legend in August 21, She told me I cannot use my $400.00 that Carnival owes me in FCC for a deposit and that I would have to put down a additional $400.00 deposit to secure that booking, which I was not going to do

It had to be because my FCC amounted to well over $2000, and that exceeded the cost of a deposit. Once they transferred my FCC, they used a portion of my refunds to pay the balance off on my cruise. 

23 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

Chargeback or dispute with credit card anyway.   You do have a valid reason.  Who knows if the cruise line will even have the time to reply and if they don’t then you automatically win!  Even if you lose, you can get a little bit of revenge knowing they get charged by the CC for every dispute win or lose, plus all the time it took to stop what they were doing, research your case and write a cognizant response.  

Not 100% true.  The only time a merchant has to pay is if they win the dispute and the card holder wants to take it to arbitration.  At that point the merchant has to pay the fees for the arbitration and do not get the fees back if they win.  

36 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

This is from the email sent to me canceling my AUg Alaska cruise.  Note the fine print where it says "The Future Cruise Credit (FCC) is based on the cancellation fees retained by Carnival for this voyage, "  Not trying to start an argument, just trying to clarify.  This goes along with what my PVP was able to do and what he told me could be done.  Have a great day all!❤️

baf

carnival.PNG

carnival 2.PNG

In my case, the cancellation fees would have been 100%, because they cancelled less than 12 hours before we were supposed to be onboard, so that would be the difference, I assume.  

In the end it does not matter.  You can use the fcc (or credit, or whatever you want to call it) for a deposit, as long as you have the new booking number first.  It does not matter if it is called fcc.  They gave me 100% credit, I applied to a new room (5 times) including the deposit.

Edited by rukkian

We also were told it would up to 90 days for our 100% refund.  Our March 13 cruise was cancelled by Carnival, as was the flight.  (we got a letter from Carnival telling us they were refunding our money).  We got the "taxes/fees" credited within 3 days from Carnival and got the refund from the airlines in 3 days.  But after 3 weeks, not days, still nothing so called Carnival to check and was told that the cruise portion of the refund would take up to 90 days.  That seems excessive given the fact the airlines refunded within a week.  Carnival cancelled so I would think they wouldn't be able to hold onto our money for that long.  What if they go bankrupt before issuing the refunds??  We purchased cruise insurance but because of the virus already being stated, if we file a claim we were told 1) it may be rejected or 2) if paid, likely only for 50%, but before we could even file a claim, we were told by the rep that we have to "reject" the refund offer from Carnival so we have a "loss" to claim.  But if we do, and the claim is denied, we are screwed.  Or if we don't, and Carnival goes bankrupt, we loose too because we'd have missed the deadline to even file a claim to see if it might get paid.  Ugggh.  Anybody else with this dilemma?? 

• Like 1