Is there too much risk in booking now for December 2020?

Meg.Shae

I must reluctantly give a lot of credit to my DW who had this right from the very early days (late January).  When we first heard about the virus in China she remarked that it was certainly the "Zombie Apocalypse."   At that time we had 4 cruises (totally over 100 days) in 2020 and we speculated that our next cruise (30 days from Yokohama to Vancouver) in April 2020...might be cancelled.  By mid February I was certain that cruise would be cancelled (2 weeks before HAL actually pulled the plug) when Japan cancelled the Emperor's Birthday celebration.  But I never thought the virus would cancel the following 3 cruises plus a 4th that we booked (in February) to replace that original Asian cruise.

So what now?  We only have 3 future bookings (Oct 2021, Nov 2021, and April 2022) and wonder if any of those cruises will happen.  My hunch is those cruises will likely happen with a mandatory vaccine requirement (not an issue with us).

Hank

Agree but with the proviso for some itineraries in fall 2021 , some countries may not permit entry. 

I suspect that all international carriers, including cruise lines, and many countries will make proof covid vaccination a condition of passage or entry.

I cannot see some SE Asian countries, Australia, or New Zealand opening their arms to boatloads of North American cruisers without proof of covid vaccination.

Cannot blame them one bit.

Edited by iancal

4 hours ago, iancal said:

I suspect that all international carriers, including cruise lines, and many countries will make proof covid vaccination a condition of passage or entry.

Sure hope so. Wouldn't want to be traveling with a bunch of anti-vaxxers.

• Like 1

IF we get the vaccine by June or July we hope to travel in Sept/Oct.   If later we will in Nov/Dec.  Then again in Feb March.    

Plan to hold off booking air until a week or so prior to departure.  Our tentative plans do not include any cruises.

1 hour ago, goldengirl123 said:

Who would have ever thought in March 2020, that in December 2020, we would still not be cruising  😞

I don't think anybody really knew then ... what was going to happen.....

By late April.... after the Ruby in Sydney.....I was pretty sure our booked cruises late 2020   were off...

I think the big shock... is how poorly the people in America are doing....   so many lives lost...

as well as parts of Europe and the UK........   I can see our bubble staying here for some time...

Don

On 12/12/2020 at 10:25 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Do people realize that this thread is about the risks involved in booking a cruise sailing in December 2020?   It seems to me that that ship has sailed (to use a cruise-related cliche).

yes. It was restarted as a throwback post. Discussion about how people were looking at December cruises back in March compared to today.