Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

14 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

They should have closed with The Stars and Stripes Forever.  EM

"Stars and Stripes Forever" would have been the conventional choice for a Sousa selection and one I was expecting. I suspect "Liberty Bell March" was chosen to better fit in with the comedic bits involving Captain Hashmi playing the bell and briefly swapping places with Maestro Inglis as conductor. It's also an appropriate choice for the British contingent in the audience since it was adopted as the theme song for "Monty Python's Flying Circus".

1 hour ago, MrsPeel55 said:

Will come back with a proper review.

And I'm certainly looking forward to that review.. I am sorry to hear you ended up getting whacked by the virus that never seems to go away, but as you say it did at least come in at the end rather than the start. Next time will be even better since you'll breeze through all the uncertainties.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 2:17 AM, techteach said:

@bluemarble Listening to Elgar Enigma Variations by BBC. Hoping they play it for you. Or perhaps, A Lark Ascending. But then they’d have to have Kleenex at the ready.

That ruddy lark was No. 1 in the Classic FM Hall of Fame for years, Thank goodness it descended to No. 2 this year!

The BBC Proms '23 Finale was last Saturday. Fabulous concert with Marin Alsop conducting and Lise Davidsen singing. If you get chance to hear the whole concert, it was wonderful.

• Like 2

On 9/12/2023 at 10:17 PM, techteach said:

@bluemarble I would love to be in your pocket listening with you! If possible, could you post what they play? Silly me, assuming they will have a paper with that information!

Tonight's playlist from "Last Night of the Cunard Proms", Anthony Inglis and the National Symphony Orchestra on board Queen Mary 2.

1. "God Save the King"

2. "Patience: Overture" - Gilbert and Sullivan

3. "Aircrew on Parade" - Haywood

4. "Romance for Violin and Orchestra" - Inglis

5. "Pop Looks Bach" from "Ski Sunday" - Fonteyn

6. "We'll Meet Again" - Lynn/Parker/Charles

7. "Hornpipe" from "Fantasia on British Sea Songs" - Wood (guest conductor Captain Hashmi)

8. "Rule Britannia" - Thomson/Arne

9. "Jerusalem" - Parry/Blake

10. "Land of Hope and Glory" - Elgar/Benson

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, techteach said:

@bluemarble Was “Jerusalem” a sing along? Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. I have read it to DH in hopes he says, “gee maybe we should book this cruise.”

Yes, the chorus to "Rule Britannia", "Jerusalem" and "Land of Hope and Glory" were all sing alongs. They did a reprise of "Land of Hope and Glory" as an encore.

"Hornpipe" was a clap along.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Tonight's playlist from "Last Night of the Cunard Proms", Anthony Inglis and the National Symphony Orchestra on board Queen Mary 2.

1. "God Save the King"

2. "Patience: Overture" - Gilbert and Sullivan

3. "Aircrew on Parade" - Haywood

4. "Romance for Violin and Orchestra" - Inglis

5. "Pop Looks Bach" from "Ski Sunday" - Fonteyn

6. "We'll Meet Again" - Lynn/Parker/Charles

7. "Hornpipe" from "Fantasia on British Sea Songs" - Wood (guest conductor Captain Hashmi)

8. "Rule Britannia" - Thomson/Arne

9. "Jerusalem" - Parry/Blake

10. "Land of Hope and Glory" - Elgar/Benson

A great programme, the last four being  de rigueur for the Albert Hall second half Last Night and of course, finishing up with God Save the King. The Pop Looks Bach [very clever play on words] piece should be well known to those [in the UK] not so familiar with classical pieces as a stalwart of BBC winter sports programmes.  I own I only really caught the connection with the Toccata and Fugue a few years ago.

I would LOVE this specific  crossing. Maybe one day. 🙂

• Like 1

Playlist from today's matinee performance "An Afternoon of Strings" with the Strings of the National Symphony Orchestra and the Harmony String Trio under the direction of Anthony Inglis on board Queen Mary 2.

1. "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" - Mozart

2. "Serenade for Strings" - Dvorak

3. "Adagio for Strings" - Barber (a tribute to September 11th, the departure date from New York for this NSO crossing)

• Like 4

We’re off on QM2’s 4 night Hamburg break tomorrow - first time back on her since 2017. Trying out Britannia Club again, due to the favourable pricing for shorter trips. At almost the very last minute, I took advantage of Cunard’s UK sale a week or so back and booked QM2 for next year as well - the 7 night early June sailing with an overnight stop in Oslo was appealing. I got round to telling Mr K yesterday - as it’s a bit of a fait accompli, I have promised him a visit to Rome some time next year as well. If only the Romans had made it to Scandinavia, we would probably have the perfect itinerary for us! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Playlist from today's matinee performance "An Afternoon of Strings" with the Strings of the National Symphony Orchestra and the Harmony String Trio under the direction of Anthony Inglis on board Queen Mary 2.

1. "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" - Mozart

2. "Serenade for Strings" - Dvorak

3. "Adagio for Strings" - Barber (a tribute to September 11th, the departure date from New York for this NSO crossing)

I lived in the UK for two years in 2000 and 2001. I was at the Last Night of the Proms on 15 September 2001, and remember that "Adagio" was added as a result of the 9/11 event. When I hear it I am taken back to that night. The last nights are always full of energy, but that evening was electric. You could actually feel it in the air. I won't forget it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

Blue Marble, how was your day in Hamburg? I see that you are headed back to Southampton, any plans for your port day there?

Our day in Hamburg went well. Because of our late arrival (about 3:00pm), I didn't plan anything specific. I took the Cunard shuttle to the Rathaus to explore on my own. I decided to walk to the Elbphilharmonie which I had only seen from a distance before. I managed to get this photo.

1695283549074.thumb.jpg.153276fa2d5f3e72390a5429cb60e24a.jpg

I suspect our day in Southampton tomorrow will be similar. We'll probably take the Cunard shuttle to Westquay and visit the nearby parks.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Our day in Hamburg went well. Because of our late arrival (about 3:00pm), I didn't plan anything specific. I took the Cunard shuttle to the Rathaus to explore on my own. I decided to walk to the Elbphilharmonie which I had only seen from a distance before. I managed to get this photo.

1695283549074.thumb.jpg.153276fa2d5f3e72390a5429cb60e24a.jpg

I suspect our day in Southampton tomorrow will be similar. We'll probably take the Cunard shuttle to Westquay and visit the nearby parks.

If you have not already been the Solent Sky Museum is interesting, especially if you are interested in aircraft and boats. If you are at the Ocean terminal, you can walk, if you are at the Mayflower you would need a short taxi. (Solent Sky Ltd Albert Rd S, Southampton SO14 3FR, UK). I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

16 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

If you have not already been the Solent Sky Museum is interesting, especially if you are interested in aircraft and boats. If you are at the Ocean terminal, you can walk, if you are at the Mayflower you would need a short taxi. (Solent Sky Ltd Albert Rd S, Southampton SO14 3FR, UK). I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Thanks for the recommendation. We took your suggestion and visited the Solent Sky Museum during our day in Southampton today. Some very interesting aviation exhibits indeed. I also enjoyed seeing the Calshot Spit Light Vessel on display there. Here is a photo I took of that vessel.

1695389629879.thumb.jpg.d3609ebc6d5b98244034c3686aaf2ee4.jpg

• Like 8