Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

6 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I hope so too, but the website says assessing situation.  I got about an hour sleep after the wind dies down.  Then I was out for my morning walk and to do recon in the neighborhood.  We have leaves and branches all over the lawn, as do the neighbors.  There were some moderate size limbs down from trees that are dead at the top.  A street over, though, a man had three old trees fall into the cut de sac.  Tree service was just finishing clearing them.  They said he started calling them at 0300.  Guess they arrived about 0600 and had it done in a bit over two hours.  Still breezy but sun is out so keeping the solar charged.  EM

Lucky that the tree service was "johnny on the spot" it took more than a week after Beryl took out a 65 foot elm and part of my neighbors fence. The backup generator is repaired and in service, and a new one has been ordered, and should be installed in November.

Helene was a cat four, while Beryl only a cat two when it hit. And having seen the damage it did, I can only imagine how The Big Bend of Florida and western Georgia look. I can actually say, I feel your pain. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

Lucky that the tree service was "johnny on the spot" it took more than a week after Beryl took out a 65 foot elm and part of my neighbors fence. The backup generator is repaired and in service, and a new one has been ordered, and should be installed in November.

Helene was a cat four, while Beryl only a cat two when it hit. And having seen the damage it did, I can only imagine how The Big Bend of Florida and western Georgia look. I can actually say, I feel your pain. 

22 hours and we still have no power.  We managed to get the garage door open manually and went out to check things out.  Traffic was terrible, don’t know why so bad for rush hour in a town that has no power so no one should have been at work.  Trees took out power lines on our side of the highway, one place a line draped across the highway.  Nothing was open.  We crawled along, then circled back and found a street with power.  Stopped at a Waffle House that was open.  Take out only, cash only, hash brown bowls on,y.  At least it was hot.  We returned a different way, and on the cross street saw a house with a tall pine tree in front yard fell directly on the house.  Bare root system facing the street.  In our sandy soil, the roots grow wide, but not deep.  When I do my early walk tomorrow I may go that way for a few pictures.  Back in 2016 when we had a direct hit with Hurricane Matthew  a house on the next street over had a tree in front yard fall sideways directly over the driveway and the bed of the practically new truck.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Noon and nearly 36 hours without power.  Lovely day for charging the solar, though.  I did my extra long walk down the street and got pictures of the tree house.  Also a squashed copperhead (venomous snake).  Lots of trees down along the street.

IMG_2371.jpeg

IMG_2372.jpeg

IMG_2373.jpeg

IMG_2374.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Noon and nearly 36 hours without power.  Lovely day for charging the solar, though.  I did my extra long walk down the street and got pictures of the tree house.  Also a squashed copperhead (venomous snake).  Lots of trees down along the street.

IMG_2371.jpeg

IMG_2372.jpeg

IMG_2373.jpeg

IMG_2374.jpeg

A deceased Copperhead is a good Copperhead, in my opinion. I hear you on traffic. When Beryl came through we did not have power for five days, and that included traffic signals. Most people understand the drill, round robin but not all. I had to drive the friend for whom I am a caregiver to an appointment with his dermatologist whose office in North Conroe had power. It was a 20 mile trip with most traffic signals out. so it took about 45 minutes going and an hour coming back. It makes you appreciate traffic signals. Our friends across the pond use traffic circles, which makes it much faster than traffic lights, smart folks. 

They are replacing intersections here with circles.  One went in about 15 years ago at an intersection without light or stop signs.  There are two more in the works, one replaces a signal.  They put in two on post at Ft. Stewart a number of years ago, and long before that three streets converged at a circle to enter post. That was rerouted and a gate installed after 911.  EM

• Like 1

Glory Hallelujah!  We finally got power back at 0938 this morning.  It tried several times yesterday and once earlier this AM. But now appears for good…or until the next storm.  There was power all around us last evening, just not our neighborhood.  EM

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Glory Hallelujah!  We finally got power back at 0938 this morning.  It tried several times yesterday and once earlier this AM. But now appears for good…or until the next storm.  There was power all around us last evening, just not our neighborhood.  EM

It is really frustrating seeing power on near by but not at your house. We had the same thing here. I was getting ready to jump into a cold shower (I have an on demand hot water heater that starts with electricity) when the power came back, then the house systems, A/C started coming back on line. And then a hot shower for the first time in four days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

This is how my day has gone

BBC News - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/cj6e863nxn8t

Tata Steel: Port Talbot's second blast furnace closes - BBC News

So sorry for this news.

I have been following it for some time. 

Very sad times indeed. 
We wish you and your colleagues well for the future.

• Thanks 1

On 9/30/2024 at 3:49 PM, Essiesmom said:

Glad you got power back and things were not as bad as they could have been.

14 hours ago, ronpes said:

My view today.

IMG_4329.jpeg

King Kamehameha in front of Iolani Palace. I visited on a cruise to Hawaii from Los Angeles on Queen Victoria. We did four islands Kauai, Oahu, Maui and the Big Island and returned to Los Angeles via Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico to make it an international trip as required by US law unless the crew is 100% US Citizens. Great memories. 

3 hours ago, techteach said:

@ronpes Did you board QE in San Fran? If so, we crossed paths!

No, sorry we boarded in Vancouver.

I know I’ll be sent to the naughty corner in this forum but for this sailing we are not on a Cunard ship ie we are on Solstice.
But, no fear, we have 3 big trips on QM2 booked for 25/26.

It’s always good to see what the “competition” are doing. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

King Kamehameha in front of Iolani Palace. I visited on a cruise to Hawaii from Los Angeles on Queen Victoria. We did four islands Kauai, Oahu, Maui and the Big Island and returned to Los Angeles via Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico to make it an international trip as required by US law unless the crew is 100% US Citizens. Great memories. 

We sailed from Vancouver and visited Kauai, Hilo and Honolulu. 
We are now on our way to French Polynesia, New Zealand and then Sydney. Although my wife and I are staying on for the next leg to Singapore and fly home from there. 

• Like 4