Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

They could pick the green tomatoes and you could have fried green tomatoes.  EM

Never been a fan of green tomatoes. But thanks for the idea. This has not been a good year for tomatoes in our neighborhood.

I have never made them, but I try them every time I see them on a menu.  Everyone is different.  I had one person tell me they should on,y be breaded with cornmeal.  There should be a sauce or dip.  Mundane ranch, marinara, remoulade sauce, the hot sauce they have on Virgin Voyages that reminds me of the hot fish sauce in Thailand.  I think Virgin ran out of green tomatoes and used ripe.  You can use either but the green ones hold together better.  EM

This summer we chose to vacation stateside on a road trip with lots of history and nature. It was great- we had a wonderful time hiking and seeing the sights.

But now…

We are very excited about next summer.

We just booked two Transatlantic voyages on QM2!

We will plan to travel in Europe in-between the two sailings.

We have sailed on QE twice before- with ports, but this will be our first foray into a Transatlantic!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

This summer we chose to vacation stateside on a road trip with lots of history and nature. It was great- we had a wonderful time hiking and seeing the sights.

But now…

We are very excited about next summer.

We just booked two Transatlantic voyages on QM2!

We will plan to travel in Europe in-between the two sailings.

We have sailed on QE twice before- with ports, but this will be our first foray into a Transatlantic!

It sounds like your 2025 vacation will be terrific. And two transatlantic voyages will be icing on the cake.

• Like 1

Having avoided it for four years and seven months since the first official Covid19 case in France, we've finally taken it. Initial symptoms felt slightly different from a cold so I tested Friday Morning. I think I passed the peak this morning, my wife is probably a day behind me. It's been like a bad cold with a painful burning throat and a stronger fever. Gargling and sinus rinsing (Neilmed Bottles) with salt and bicarb of soda, and plain steam, and paracetamol seem to be coping as I would have expected.

The throats haven't stopped us eating anything yet, and wine goes down normally.

That meant we didn't get to a seafront restaurant last night to watch the end of season fireworks, and just had a nice meal here as usual. We did hear three firework displays though.

Apart from the discomfort it's probably a good thing as we have lots of things going on over the next few months. It certainly wouldn't be welcome one weekend when we're hosting a dinner for sixty.

3 hours ago, D&N said:

Having avoided it for four years and seven months since the first official Covid19 case in France, we've finally taken it. Initial symptoms felt slightly different from a cold so I tested Friday Morning. I think I passed the peak this morning, my wife is probably a day behind me. It's been like a bad cold with a painful burning throat and a stronger fever. Gargling and sinus rinsing (Neilmed Bottles) with salt and bicarb of soda, and plain steam, and paracetamol seem to be coping as I would have expected.

The throats haven't stopped us eating anything yet, and wine goes down normally.

That meant we didn't get to a seafront restaurant last night to watch the end of season fireworks, and just had a nice meal here as usual. We did hear three firework displays though.

Apart from the discomfort it's probably a good thing as we have lots of things going on over the next few months. It certainly wouldn't be welcome one weekend when we're hosting a dinner for sixty.

Get well soon. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, D&N said:

Hope you continue to feel better.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, D&N said:

Ugh and yuck. Sorry to hear that. I caught it right at the beginning. I honestly thought that I would die. Caught it, again, a few months later. It wasn’t as bad that time. I am thankful that they came up with an injection shortly after that. I am also thankful that I didn’t bow down to pressure but not going to get into that. Feel better soon and your dinner for 60 sounds amazing!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, D&N said:

Having avoided it for four years and seven months since the first official Covid19 case in France, we've finally taken it. Initial symptoms felt slightly different from a cold so I tested Friday Morning. I think I passed the peak this morning, my wife is probably a day behind me. It's been like a bad cold with a painful burning throat and a stronger fever.

Sorry to read that.

We hope you both get better soon.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

How are you feeling today, @D&N?   I hope you are both doing well.

Thanks for asking. Going through the phases I think!

I thought my throat had eased yesterday afternoon but when I tried to sleep it was a constant pain. Had to get back up and take ibuprofen, then sit with the girls for a bit while it took effect. No complaints from them 🐈. Nora hasn't had the throat inflammation and hopefully won't.

I still have Tyrozets (well by their date) as a back up for throats. Not for their antibiotic properties but they're effective as a short term local anaesthetic, just to let you get to sleep.

I think we'll probably be another two or three days. Ursel was due her first annual check up and booster tomorrow but I've phoned vet and rescheduled for next week. He's a one man band and can do without humans preventing him from tending to his patients.

Interestingly we had a Brouilly (Gamay) with our lamb fillets last night and every gulp seemed to sting my inflamed throat. I've not had the same with Merlot or Cinsault/Grenache rosé that we've drunk on other days. Alcohol content was about the same for all of them. It tasted very nice with the lamb and cheese that followed though so probably worth the pain!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, D&N said:

I thought my throat had eased yesterday afternoon but when I tried to sleep it was a constant pain. Had to get back up and take ibuprofen, then sit with the girls for a bit while it took effect. No complaints from them 🐈. Nora hasn't had the throat inflammation and hopefully won't.

I still have Tyrozets (well by their date) as a back up for throats. Not for their antibiotic properties but they're effective as a short term local anaesthetic, just to let you get to sleep.

I think we'll probably be another two or three days. Ursel was due her first annual check up and booster tomorrow but I've phoned vet and rescheduled for next week. He's a one man band and can do without humans preventing him from tending to his patients.

Interestingly we had a Brouilly (Gamay) with our lamb fillets last night and every gulp seemed to sting my inflamed throat. I've not had the same with Merlot or Cinsault/Grenache rosé that we've drunk on other days. Alcohol content was about the same for all of them. It tasted very nice with the lamb and cheese that followed though so probably worth the pain!

The best thing is that your sense of taste hasn’t been affected. A friend of mine couldn’t bear the taste of wine for a while.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

The best thing is that your sense of taste hasn’t been affected. A friend of mine couldn’t bear the taste of wine for a while.

It had crossed my mind. That would be a disaster!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, D&N said:

I’ve always found, when I think I am getting better from something, I am always wrong! 😂

• Like 1

Continuing improvement today. Throat feels much better. I should sleep without ibuprofen tonight.

No sign of Nora taking "the throat" yet. Hopefully she won't.

I did what seemed like work today and typed twenty-five guest's menu choices into a website. That takes us to twenty-seven of sixty including us. It averaged one minute per entry. There won't be that much work to do the rest. Difficulty will probably be chasing stragglers to make their minds up.

The venue we chose offered four choices for each course, plus they'll modify dishes to suit allergies. The catch is the choices need to be made a few weeks in advance.

The invite process had to be staged as sixty seated is the venue limit. Invited an initial sixty, some who "had to be invited", knowing several would refuse. Then progressively contacting friends (who we'd probably have preferred to ask in first place) to fill the gaps.

Currently only have fifty-eight, as there are a few with hospital visits coming up that can't be certain yet, but we have a bit of time to formalise it all.

• Like 2

Happy meteorological autumn! 🍂  🍁 I presume if you are in the southern hemisphere it’s the start of meteorological spring? In which case, happy spring! 

Despite an initial forecast of cloud and possibly thundery showers it turned out to be very warm (27degrees) and sunny. It was quite muggy as well, so not a very seasonal start to the season… 

Cunard has been running an extra OBC promotion here in the UK so I took advantage to book QM2’s Mediterranean voyage next April. It means I will also fulfil an ambition to spend my birthday on a Cunard ship! This voyage does coincide with Easter, which I think will have some impact at the ports of call but I'm sure we will still enjoy our time ashore. I have my eye on an excursion to Tarragona from Barcelona - we missed our tour there last time we were due in Barcelona as we were diverted to Valencia because of pro-independence referendum protests. 

• Like 1

Today is Labor Day in the U.S. I give thanks to the people in restaurants who wash my dishes, to the person who climbs the pole to keep the electricity flowing, to the escalator repairers, the snow plow operators, and the floor washers. Thanks to those who labor in cold and wet, in humidity and heat. Thanks to those who do the smelly jobs no one really wants to do. May you have a day of rest today.

• Like 9

A week of rain and cooler high temperatures followed Labor Day, and Sunday we get our first 'cold' front of the Fall. Lows in the upper 60s (f) instead of 80s. Not fall yet as the A/C is still running, but not all the time. Halloween Candy in the shops, and can Christmas decor be far behind, likely not. 

Another seasonal change is in the air. This year has flown by, but that seems to be the way it works, the older you get. Not complaining just enjoying life. 

Hattie, enjoy your voyage of Queen Anne. And give us a full report. 

• Like 1

Just had my COVID and flu shots!  Not sure if I’ve done the right thing because my doctor told me to get them separately. Will know soon enough!  I am now ready to head to Canada on Monday.  👍