The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

On 10/7/2020 at 3:28 PM, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I just had this horrific vision of what all these ships could be recycled into.  Imagine if you will, a gigantic, many-level barge.  So big that it dwarfs the current mega-liners.  It could be used in a similar way as the private islands some lines own, but open to any ship.  This thing would be so big that a dozen or more mega-liners could dock with it.  It would contain sanitized versions of cultural and natural experiences from around the world.  Imagine the top deck hosting an entire safari park, complete with “the big five”, etc.  The deck below that could be a rain forest, the deck below that the Forbidden City, the deck below that a recreation of the Vegas Strip, and on and on....  Oh the humanity!  I need a drink.... or three.

Egads!!! - The vision is coming true 😐

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-luxury-manmade-island-concept-where-homes-cost-up-to-1-billion/ar-BB1dCM0u

In 2015 we started our Venice - Instanbul cruise from the San Basilio pier, rather than the large Venetian Cruise Terminal. 

I don't know whether Viking always use this terminal but it certainly worked well for us. We did an excellent three night Viking pre cruise tour of Italy and then we were dropped off right by the Viking Star on its maiden season. We were able to walk easily into the centre of Venice from there after unpacking and then enjoyed the sail away later that evening.

30 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

In 2015 we started our Venice - Instanbul cruise from the San Basilio pier, rather than the large Venetian Cruise Terminal. 

I don't know whether Viking always use this terminal but it certainly worked well for us. We did an excellent three night Viking pre cruise tour of Italy and then we were dropped off right by the Viking Star on its maiden season. We were able to walk easily into the centre of Venice from there after unpacking and then enjoyed the sail away later that evening.

San Basilio also has a water taxi stop.  We have done it both ways to the hotels in the town and the water taxi really beats crossing the 400 bridges with baggage.  But then the walk got us nicely lost and we got to see the gondola "shipyard" up close.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

I’m wondering if anyone has taken a Viking cruise out of Venice and knows which port they use? Thank you.

Main cruise terminal was used in 2018 when we embarked on Orion.  There’s a nice shuttle train within walking distance of the ship that will take you to Piazzale Roma where you can pick up the various water transports.

1 hour ago, MarkTapley said:

Main cruise terminal was used in 2018 when we embarked on Orion.  There’s a nice shuttle train within walking distance of the ship that will take you to Piazzale Roma where you can pick up the various water transports.

Thank you.

Gondola shipyard sounds interesting!  I guess I’ll just have to wait to get my documents to see which port we use, we have just under a year to figure it out.  I have done the Venice bridges with luggage, I think those days are gone.  It is a wonderful city to get lost in, but best without the luggage.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

If you have time in Venice, I highly recommend learning to gondolier.  It was half the price for just a gondola ride, lasted twice as long and was way more memorable. That’s Mike steering below. 

7A9A1E3C-C46A-4280-A708-C7ADA1648F6D.jpeg

Hi, Clay, how did you discover this option?  I've never come across it when we've been in Venice!  It looks terrific.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aungrl said:

Hi, Clay, how did you discover this option?  I've never come across it when we've been in Venice!  It looks terrific.

Frankly I don’t remember how I came across it but we really enjoyed it.  I’m not allowed by CC rules to tell you the name unless someone asks, but I suspect if you put in the american term for the activity one is doing in the gondola and the town in Italy where it is done it would likely show up😉

12 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Frankly I don’t remember how I came across it but we really enjoyed it.  I’m not allowed by CC rules to tell you the name unless someone asks, but I suspect if you put in the american term for the activity one is doing in the gondola and the town in Italy where it is done it would likely show up😉

I believe you are free to post information and links for events, tours, etc.  Just not Travel Agents.  I know I have posted quite a few and have not yet been stood in the corner.  Well, not for that transgression at least..🍸

Edited by Jim Avery
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I believe you are free to post information and links for events, tours, etc.  Just not Travel Agents.  I know I have posted quite a few and have not yet been stood in the corner.  Well, not for that transgression at least..🍸

Totally agree with you Jim, as Alla and the other tour providers in St Petersburg are frequently mentioned, without issue. Since Clay probably used a tour provider, I suspect he is safe quoting the vendor.

20 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks Clay, as i didn't find them either the last time we were in Venice.

I certainly don't get the prize for guessing from your clues in the previous post. My guess was sculling Venice.🙁

Glad I linked it then! LoL

Really is a great hour and a half or two.  They also have larger gondolas if you have a family or group. Our friends Peggy (VaGirl) and her boytoy Lowell took their grandchildren one time.  Seems like she said Lowell learned to “navigate” while she did all the rowing.  LOL

Edited by Clay Clayton

On 2/27/2021 at 2:00 PM, Clay Clayton said:

Ok, if I suddenly disappear, y’all will know why!

http://www.RowVenice.org

If you start a thread called Row Venice,  you are in trouble. If you start going around to all of the Venice related posts, posting the name out of the blue, you are in trouble. Other than that, you should be okay.

• Thanks 1

First time in the Explorers Lounge.  Glad to see the warm and friendly atmosphere. We just booked our first Viking cruise in 2022 largely because of this lounge (and the itinerary). We have been cruising almost exclusively on R-ships (Azamara and Princess) because we like smaller ships and we LOVE the forward looking lounges.  I just don’t understand all these larger ships putting their lounges in the bowels of the ships!  We look forward to someday meeting you in the lounge in person.

Rita

24 minutes ago, SoBaycruiser said:

First time in the Explorers Lounge.  Glad to see the warm and friendly atmosphere. We just booked our first Viking cruise in 2022 largely because of this lounge (and the itinerary). We have been cruising almost exclusively on R-ships (Azamara and Princess) because we like smaller ships and we LOVE the forward looking lounges.  I just don’t understand all these larger ships putting their lounges in the bowels of the ships!  We look forward to someday meeting you in the lounge in person.

Rita

Welcome to the Explorers Lounge, Rita. Having cruised the R-ships, I suspect you will be amazed at the Viking washrooms. Even in DV and V they are palatial compared to the R-ships.😀

Which cruise did you book?

Well, breakfast is over, so time for an IPA. Jim, are you heading up to Explorers, or are you settled in the Living Room?😁🍺 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Welcome to the Explorers Lounge, Rita. Having cruised the R-ships, I suspect you will be amazed at the Viking washrooms. Even in DV and V they are palatial compared to the R-ships.😀

Well, breakfast is over, so time for an IPA. Jim, are you heading up to Explorers, or are you settled in the Living Room?😁🍺 

Haha, isn't it Bloody Mary time?  And welcome Rita.  We liked the old R-Ships too but the Viking ships make them look like the antiques they are becoming.  The gang at Explorer's are a friendly bunch...🍸

6 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

We booked the March 1 Northern Lights trip... a year from today!  We think the Explorers lounge will be a fantastic place to be in a cold weather itinerary.

re The washrooms: it would be hard not to be bigger than the Rships! 😉

Rita

• Like 1