The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

2 hours ago, Lilyskittymom said:

Do any of you recall how many photos you needed for visas?  We're booked for 2022 LA to Bergen and would like to stock up on photos before the photo counters at Costco close in February!

It will be interesting  to hear the answer as I don’t think it will be many . These  days so many visas are  e-visas and those require you to upload a picture  ; they have specific  criteria for that especially India, but having done several for clients , I can tell you that it is not difficult . I think that the last time I looked only 1 or two countries required a non e-visa . 

5 hours ago, Lilyskittymom said:

Do any of you recall how many photos you needed for visas?  We're booked for 2022 LA to Bergen and would like to stock up on photos before the photo counters at Costco close in February!

For 2020 we required at least 6 photos. However, they had to be dated within a certain time frame, which I can't recall. Might want to check with GenVisa how recent the photos must be.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lilyskittymom said:

It depends on what countries you are going to and how many photos each visa requires. Folks from prior World Cruises might be able to tell you how many photos they needed but if you aren't going to the same countries, then it won't be the right answer.

Viking and the World Cruise help line is probably the best place to ask. I don't know the direct number but it would not surprise me if it were among the information included on your Viking invoice or on MyVikingJourney.com.

This is a link to the GenVisa Ultimate World Cruise Visa requirements for 2019/2020.  https://www.genvisa.com/vikingworldcruise/Ultimate_World-Cruise_Visa.pdf. They do show that 6 pictures were needed.  May be the same for us, but I think that I would wait until the official  requirements come out from Viking/ GenVisa later this year. 

This link will give you a general idea of how it works . Fortunately for those of us on the 2022 WC, we are not doing China so no need to fill out that long form 😉.  We are doing Myanmar and Turkey which have much shorter forms .  The nice thing about doing it with GenVisa is that they have several fields , such as dates cities to be visited etc , on the applications already filled out on the application forms . 

• Like 2

Genvisa was very easy to work with....it was just frustrating haveing passport gone for so long...and we did NOT want to pay for a temporary duplicate.  Pay attention to instructions,  if it says NO smiles or glasses make sure to follow ...our friends had some rejected for a small smile .  May have been China.

I think you will love Yangon and the people of Myanmar!  That river cruise is so interesting.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 10:55 PM, JeriGail said:

My daughter is a programmer for Epic.  The company provides the software for health records to hospitals and large practices, but doesn't actually hold the medical records.  Microsoft, Oracle, and other companies are working on mobile apps that could access state's vaccine records.

Good for making the distinction that software developers like Epic (my son interviewed there when he graduated from college btw) simply develop software that they sell to others to use.  How the data is maintained (stored, protected, accessed, etc.) with this software is is decided by whoever buys their software. As you say, Epic designs their software (partners with??) to make it easier for their customers to choose how they want to store and aggregate their data whether locally or using cloud/data service providers like Microsoft, Oracle, and Amazon Web Services.

On 1/20/2021 at 11:29 PM, Peregrina651 said:

It depends on what countries you are going to and how many photos each visa requires. Folks from prior World Cruises might be able to tell you how many photos they needed but if you aren't going to the same countries, then it won't be the right answer.

Viking and the World Cruise help line is probably the best place to ask. I don't know the direct number but it would not surprise me if it were among the information included on your Viking invoice or on MyVikingJourney.com.

I used Ivisa.com to take a photo I took with my iPhone cleaned up to make a passport photo which they mail to you.  It worked very well.  Even turned my wall into a proper background for passports.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 5:04 PM, deec said:

Genvisa was very easy to work with....it was just frustrating haveing passport gone for so long...and we did NOT want to pay for a temporary duplicate.  Pay attention to instructions,  if it says NO smiles or glasses make sure to follow ...our friends had some rejected for a small smile .  May have been China.

I think you will love Yangon and the people of Myanmar!  That river cruise is so interesting.

We've used GenVisa for the cruises to China and Russia.  We survived the Russia visa experience (they make China look like amateurs); we can survive anything!  My husband has to get a new passport, so he has to get photos.  I might as well get a couple, too.  You really can't beat Costco's price - 4 photos for $6.  We'll have to plan around having our passports gone for a while, but we're looking forward to all the new and exciting places to see!  Thanks everyone!

On 1/21/2021 at 10:48 AM, vslparis said:

This is a link to the GenVisa Ultimate World Cruise Visa requirements for 2019/2020.  https://www.genvisa.com/vikingworldcruise/Ultimate_World-Cruise_Visa.pdf. They do show that 6 pictures were needed.  May be the same for us, but I think that I would wait until the official  requirements come out from Viking/ GenVisa later this year. 

This link will give you a general idea of how it works . Fortunately for those of us on the 2022 WC, we are not doing China so no need to fill out that long form 😉.  We are doing Myanmar and Turkey which have much shorter forms .  The nice thing about doing it with GenVisa is that they have several fields , such as dates cities to be visited etc , on the applications already filled out on the application forms . 

Thank you.  This is very helpful.  We've used GenVisa in the past and they've been very helpful. China's process pales in comparison to Russia!

1 hour ago, Lilyskittymom said:

We've used GenVisa for the cruises to China and Russia.  We survived the Russia visa experience (they make China look like amateurs); we can survive anything!  My husband has to get a new passport, so he has to get photos.  I might as well get a couple, too.  You really can't beat Costco's price - 4 photos for $6.  We'll have to plan around having our passports gone for a while, but we're looking forward to all the new and exciting places to see!  Thanks everyone!

I hear you about Russia and China.  Find me on board our WC and I can tell you some of my experiences for clients in filling out those Russia and China forms 😉. Probably shouldn't put it in writing on a public forum !  I like GenVisa, but they do take much longer than other companies ( like CIBT ) to complete the process so  I plan on having my passport available to send off by no later than mid/ late September. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 4:04 PM, deec said:

We enjoyed Yangon the last time we were there and did a "live like a local " tour over 2 days.  Not sure what we will do this time. 

48 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I could surely use a pop.  Ivan, can I have a Harvey Wallbanger please.  I will be over by the big windows counting flying fish.  Always makes me feel better.  Happy Saturday....🍹

Just finished watching my footie team - great result 5-0 win. I'll be right up to join you for a celebratory Bloody Mary, although a Harvey Wallbanger does sound good. Haven't had one since my deep sea days.😀🍺

• Like 1

not me...I am on a cruise that is warm and sunny....just saw a great performance with an amazing electric VIOLIN!!!    May I please have an expresso martini?   Honny Bunny ( from WC2018) promised to leave recipe for all new bartenders!

I can dream!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Serious question - has anybody received a Viking Ocean catalog in the mail recently? I've got plenty of Viking River catalogs - but....Unless I've lost it somehow - I haven't seen a new one in maybe 2 years.  TIA. 

I know that I have received several over the last few years . Sometimes it is a river and ocean brochure , sometimes separate one for ocean and separate one for river cruises.