Sailing from NJ in June?

Hi everyone. I know these are uncertain and dismal times for many, I hope everyone is staying well and dealing with this in their own way.

I was wondering if some of you could help out. We're looking to cruise out of NJ in June but we have some concerns with it. Major concern is weather. We always cruise from FL and our concern was that even in June, the weather for the first few days might not be amazing coming out of NJ. That concern carries to the sea days as we return to NJ as well. What can we expect for weather in June coming out of NJ, down to Bahamas and back? Second concern is motion. Is motion an issue off the east coast? Has anyone done one of these sailings that can offer some input? Would definitely help us make a decision. That is if June sailings even happen... Thanks for any help you guys can give. Stay safe and Healthy!

12 minutes ago, danp2482 said:

What can we expect for weather in June coming out of NJ, down to Bahamas and back?

Is motion an issue off the east coast?

Has anyone done one of these sailings that can offer some input?

Use any weather app to look up the average weather in Bayonne for the dates of your cruise.

Not if the weather is good.

Weather was fine in January (though not so good in Eastern Carib), pretty good 3 weeks ago as well, tho the barf bags came out the last 2 days.

10 minutes ago, danp2482 said:

Hi everyone. I know these are uncertain and dismal times for many, I hope everyone is staying well and dealing with this in their own way.

I was wondering if some of you could help out. We're looking to cruise out of NJ in June but we have some concerns with it. Major concern is weather. We always cruise from FL and our concern was that even in June, the weather for the first few days might not be amazing coming out of NJ. That concern carries to the sea days as we return to NJ as well. What can we expect for weather in June coming out of NJ, down to Bahamas and back? Second concern is motion. Is motion an issue off the east coast? Has anyone done one of these sailings that can offer some input? Would definitely help us make a decision. That is if June sailings even happen... Thanks for any help you guys can give. Stay safe and Healthy!

I just did a mock booking for the Oasis out of Bayonne for June 14-21.  I can get an oceanview balcony cabin as a SOLO for under $650 (that's with diamond discount).  That's insanely cheap.  My take on that is this:  Royal KNOWS that their suspended operations are going well beyond May 11.  They're tempting people to book the cheap May/June sailings, cancel them, force the people to select the FCC option, and then have them pay 2.5 times the original amount when cruises resume.

1 minute ago, jerseyjjs said:

cancel them, force the people to select the FCC option

I assume you meant to say, entice, not force - folks always have a full refund option.

Biker, who doesn't see RCI commanding pre-COVID like prices for a while.

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I assume you meant to say, entice, not force - folks always have a full refund option.

Biker, who doesn't see RCI commanding pre-COVID like prices for a while.

Entice is a better word, that's if Royal keeps the cancellation policy in May.

Don't see pre-Covid pricing?.......look at the price jump for the sailing after June 21st.   I realize that's the presumed start of summer vacation for most schools.   But, even that's up in the air right now.

5 minutes ago, jerseyjjs said:

Don't see pre-Covid pricing?.......look at the price jump for the sailing after June 21st. 

This is the first season for Oasis in Bayonne, we have no historical pattern for pricing to compare. All of those sailings starting  6/27 are outside final payment - they'll come down after they pass final.

38 minutes ago, danp2482 said:

It appears you live in mass? I live in connecticut. Weather all around this area including jersey if very similar. So just imagine what mass weather is. 80s....You are heading south right away so you are only getting warmer......atlantic wont be like carribean sea. Ive sailed out of bayonne. But its not too bad. I sailed out of there in feb. More storms in winter so rocking was pretty typical. Pools were closed on way back because of it.... but june should be different.

1 hour ago, danp2482 said:

Which ship?  If Oasis, that ship is so big you barely notice any movement even in rough seas.  I would pick mid ship cabins for less movement.  

Edited by island lady

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Some may disagree with that and Oasis has yet to experience weather off the Carolinas.

Good point.  Those seas off the Carolina coast are indeed a bit wicked some time.  Guess I don't get sea sick much, but there is always a first time.  😮 

56 minutes ago, P_and_L said:

Their extended suspension says New England cruises are cancelled until July 1. Does that include the Oasis departures in June?

If you go back and read what the OP posted, they are going from NJ "down to the Bahamas".  

16 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Which I'm pretty sure was cancelled - I don't see it available - not sure what they'll do those 6 days.

Website's Global Voluntary Suspension Of Cruising is ambiguous regarding the Canada New England sailings...... it is stated that "Canadian ports will remain closed until July 1st, 2020" BUT does not state that any of the Canada/New England cruises through that time period are actually cancelled.

Cruises to New England on Adventure, Empress, and Oasis for May and June are still being actively sold despite Canadian port closure. Oasis is still on the website as of a minute ago..... see below. 

I called Crown and Anchor for clarification on the status of my next scheduled voyage, which happens to be Canada/New England.   Twice I have been told that the sailing has not been cancelled BUT that itineraries are being altered. Who knows what to believe at this point??? 😉 

oasis canada.JPG

Edited by patrioticgirl

3 hours ago, danp2482 said:

We sailed that first week of June last year on Anthem. The weather couldn't have been better. It was warm even at sail away. It was a little rocky on the first full sea day but It it can get pretty bad if the weather should turn. I was on a Princess cruise where we were thrown out of bed in the middle of the night. We were midship. It was so windy on the return trip to New York that we slammed into the dock and took out the gangway. We didn't disembark until 1:00. It was terrible. People missed flights and the port was so backed up with traffic.

20 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

I can get an ocean view balcony cabin as a SOLO for under $650 (that's with diamond discount).  That's insanely cheap. 

To be fair, that's because it seems RCI is waiving the typical 200% solo supplement (they did that for a number of Oasis sailings last fall). That doesn't seem to be the case with other ships. BTW, those rates are even cheaper if you add police/fire/law enforcement discount.

June the weather is just fine in NJ. Hope you get to go

Sent from my iPhone using Forums