Refund to original form of payment- but that credit card has been paid off

Dreams42Day

So I have requested a refund for my cancelled cruise. I understand that they will credit the original form of payment. For me, that would be a credit card. I have already paid off the cruise charge but have a couple other charges on this credit card. I do not want my refund to go towards this balance...I want to put the refund into a different account (a savings account)...what can I do?

Thanks in advance!

1 minute ago, Dreams42Day said:

So I have requested a refund for my cancelled cruise. I understand that they will credit the original form of payment. For me, that would be a credit card. I have already paid off the cruise charge but have a couple other charges on this credit card. I do not want my refund to go towards this balance...I want to put the refund into a different account (a savings account)...what can I do?

Thanks in advance!

Give me the cc# expiration and code on the back I'll take care,if it for you.

Or call the number on the card

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Read the terms of your credit card agreement, or call the number on the back of your card.  My guess is If they refund it to the card, the card agreement will allow them to apply any credit to any outstanding balance, and then if there is any money owed back to you they will cut you a check.

If you don't want your refund to go towards any current charges on that card, I'd recommend either paying off those charges in the next 90 days, or transferring those charges to another card so that when your refund is processed there is no balance.

Edited by Jobeth66
  • Like 3

My bank says if you paid with a credit card your refund goes back on your credit card and if you do not have a balance, then you will have a credit on that card. Basically, she said, if you didn’t pay in cash you cannot get it back as cash.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Dreams42Day said:

Thanks in advance!

if your credit card is paid off and the refund goes to the credit card just call them and request a check they will send it to you. I have had this happened before and they are very good at sending you a check, you will have to wait at least 3 weeks for it. I hope it helps.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

if your credit card is paid off and the refund goes to the credit card just call them and request a check they will send it to you. I have had this happened before and they are very good at sending you a check, you will have to wait at least 3 weeks for it. I hope it helps.

^^  This... Your CC can't keep your "Refund" as CC credit if you're CC is paid off.. You may have an issue if you have a balance tho..  We are going to most likely run into this with our refund..  Just do you best to keep your balance to zero as possible and you'll get your money from the CC company - it just will probably take some time..

• Like 1

If your current account is with the same provider as the credit card, a simple phone call to explain should result in an instant (will take 2 or 3 business days to show) transfer of the credit into your current account. This happened to me a couple of months ago, and was straightforward.

4 hours ago, Dreams42Day said:

Thanks in advance!

What difference does it make???     Write yourself a check and put it in savings.   (if your current credit card charges are more than your cruise credit)    You must have a checking account that you pay the credit card with???     

• Like 1

As Budget Queen says, at the end of the day it doesn't matter.  You'll have a credit on your cc account and charges to that account.  Your cc company will subtract your charges from your credit.  I'd be surprised if there is a way to stop that from happening, but you can use the money you normally would use to pay off the credit card and put it in a savings account.  Either way you get the value of the refund.

1 hour ago, Budget Queen said:

What difference does it make???     Write yourself a check and put it in savings.   (if your current credit card charges are more than your cruise credit)    You must have a checking account that you pay the credit card with???     

I want to know my options before spending an hour on hold with my credit card company. What difference does it make to you why I am curious??? If you can’t have post a helpful response to my question then just move on. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NJGeorge said:

Give me the cc# expiration and code on the back I'll take care,if it for you.

Or call the number on the card

Thanks so much. A rude, sarcastic response was just what I was looking for. 

9 minutes ago, Dreams42Day said:

I want to know my options before spending an hour on hold with my credit card company. What difference does it make to you why I am curious??? If you can’t have post a helpful response to my question then just move on. 

You don't seem to know, the dynamics.     If you have new charges on your credit card that are more than your cruise ship return- credit-    then  instead of paying the credit card like you normally would,   pay the cruise credit to yourself.      Otherwise,   if you continue to have a credit on your credit card they will issue you a check.    I'll speculate your "hour on hold" is an exaggeration?     I''ve had a few recent issues with 2 different credit card companies,   and it wasn't even a 10 minute wait.   

9 minutes ago, Dreams42Day said:

Thanks so much. A rude, sarcastic response was just what I was looking for. 

Why your welcome.  I can't wait until I need credit card guidance so I can post up here with my question for valuable accurate advice instead of calling my cc provider. 👌

If you have to wait an hour on hold get a different card.

8 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

You don't seem to know, the dynamics.     If you have new charges on your credit card that are more than your cruise ship return- credit-    then  instead of paying the credit card like you normally would,   pay the cruise credit to yourself.      Otherwise,   if you continue to have a credit on your credit card they will issue you a check.    I'll speculate your "hour on hold" is an exaggeration?     I''ve had a few recent issues with 2 different credit card companies,   and it wasn't even a 10 minute wait.   

You don’t seem to know the dynamics.   Apparently you don’t read.    
Her CC is paid off.   so either her CC co will just send her a hard check for the amount. Or she will have to call for it.     Over and done with.    

2 minutes ago, NJGeorge said:

Why your welcome.  I can't wait until I need credit card guidance so I can post up here with my question for valuable accurate advice instead of calling my cc provider. 👌

If you have to wait an hour on hold get a different card.

At least you are able to admit that your response is not exactly “valuable accurate advice”. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

You don’t seem to know the dynamics.   Apparently you don’t read.    
Her CC is paid off.   so either her CC co will just send her a hard check for the amount. Or she will have to call for it.     Over and done with.    

you're the one with the reading problem.     The HAVE additional charges they have since made.   

"I have already paid off the cruise charge but have a couple other charges on this credit card. I do not want my refund to go towards this balance...I"

19 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Actually I am aware of the dynamics of credit. You didn’t read my original post thoroughly. And, just FYI...I did call my credit card company and was on hold for over and hour...NOT an exaggeration. Move on please. 

4 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

you're the one with the reading problem.     The HAVE additional charges they have since made.   

"I have already paid off the cruise charge but have a couple other charges on this credit card. I do not want my refund to go towards this balance...I"

Lololol. Your right.  Lolol.  Got me. I read right through that lol 

Edited by Ptroxx

4 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

5 minutes ago, Dreams42Day said:

Actually I am aware of the dynamics of credit. You didn’t read my original post thoroughly. And, just FYI...I did call my credit card company and was on hold for over and hour...NOT an exaggeration. Move on please. 

And what did your credit card co say 

An important reason NCL refunds to your credit card is that when you used your cc to pay for the trip NCL didn't get all the money.  The cc bank kept part of that money as their fee.  Amount of fee varies with cc, but let's say your cruise is $2000 and the fee is 3.5% (the average fee for keyed transactions...swiped fees are lower).  Credit card keeps $70, gives NCL only $1930.  By crediting your refund back to the cc, NCL can, in effect, reverse the charge: NCL pays cc $1930 and cc returns $2000 to you.  If NCL instead sent you a check for $2000 they would be out the $70 fee, since cc gave them only $1930 but NCL gave you $2000.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DwayneG said:

An important reason NCL refunds to your credit card is that when you used your cc to pay for the trip NCL didn't get all the money.  The cc bank kept part of that money as their fee.  Amount of fee varies with cc, but let's say your cruise is $2000 and the fee is 3.5% (the average fee for keyed transactions...swiped fees are lower).  Credit card keeps $70, gives NCL only $1930.  By crediting your refund back to the cc, NCL can, in effect, reverse the charge: NCL pays cc $1930 and cc returns $2000 to you.  If NCL instead sent you a check for $2000 they would be out the $70 fee, since cc gave them only $1930 but NCL gave you $2000.

That makes sense. I just used a specific card (MasterCard) since that is what Costco accepts and I have no desire to have a credit on this particular card, lol. 

45 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

And what did your credit card co say 

They gave me three options...1) let it post to my card and I get a check for the remaining balance after my credit card balance is paid. 2) pay off my balance and then once the refund is credited, get a check for the full amount 3) they could reverse my last payments, to m m she my balance the same as the cruise credit. Then when the credit hits, it would just pay my balance in full.