Australia Opens Homicide Investigation Against Carnival

Johnymac

Washington Post: "Australian police have assembled a 30-strong team under the leadership of a homicide detective to investigate the ship and its owner, Miami-based Carnival, the world’s largest vacation travel company.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/people-just-didnt-care-how-the-ruby-princess-cruise-ship-became-a-death-trap/2020/04/10/058ab45e-7a33-11ea-a311-adb1344719a9_story.html

11 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

From what I read this revolves around false reporting of cases and conditions on board.  

According to some of my Coastie contacts here in Miami, this is just the start of it. Apparently Carnival Corp is in hot water from several COVID related incidents. It’ll be interesting to see what comes out in the news in the coming weeks. 

1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

According to some of my Coastie contacts here in Miami, this is just the start of it. Apparently Carnival Corp is in hot water from several COVID related incidents. It’ll be interesting to see what comes out in the news in the coming weeks. 

I read the article and based on the March 8 sail date compared to the March 14 cut-off, I do not see any type of homicide or culpability charges sticking against Ruby Princess or her crew

i agree that civil and class action suits against Carnival Corp are coming - those will probably progress to some sort of settlement 

3 hours ago, Bowman1 said:

I read the article and based on the March 8 sail date compared to the March 14 cut-off, I do not see any type of homicide or culpability charges sticking against Ruby Princess or her crew

i agree that civil and class action suits against Carnival Corp are coming - those will probably progress to some sort of settlement 

Regardless, if countries around the world start investigating cruise lines for homicide, I don't see how they would ever be able to afford the liability to restart business until all those cases are closed.  

5 hours ago, Bowman1 said:

The primary question for the investigation is if they under reported the number of illnesses on board when they provided the information to get approval for disembarkation in Sydney.

There is a civil suit that is making the claim that the ship should never have sailed.

Another item that is being looked at is what exactly is Carnival Australia and the corporate structures they are operating under there.  A little smoke and mirrors.

Edited by npcl

1 hour ago, npcl said:

Another item that is being looked at is what exactly is Carnival Australia and the corporate structures they are operating under there.  A little smoke and mirrors.

Think they call that subsidiary, fairly common.  

7 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

What is a coastie?