Has anyone had a 3rd Party Travel Ins Co Payup for Covid-19

susantx3

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

Sorry it does not apply to any but US airlines as we have come across this before. Aer Lingus would not pay us  because the European airlines have a loop hole. If the cancellation/delay is caused by something beyond their control they are not liable.

I'm not going to say you're wrong on this but I do believe you are mistaken and Jerry is correct on this.

The new Covid-19 situation has changed things.

53 minutes ago, jerryd1 said:

I suggest that you look at https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/us-department-transportation-issues-enforcement-notice-clarifying-air-carrier-refund and file a complaint with the DOT if your air carrier does not comply.

In part, it says " The U.S. Department of Transportation today issued an Enforcement Notice clarifying, in the context of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) public health emergency, that U.S. and foreign airlines remain obligated to provide a prompt refund to passengers for flights to, within, or from the United States when the carrier cancels the passenger’s scheduled flight or makes a significant schedule change and the passenger chooses not to accept the alternative offered by the carrier.  The obligation of airlines to provide refunds, including the ticket price and any optional fee charged for services a passenger is unable to use, does not cease when the flight disruptions are outside of the carrier’s control (e.g., a result of government restrictions)".

US can say all they want but the foreign airlines to not have to listen. What are they going to do- refuse to let them fly into US airports? That would be cutting off the nose to spite the face as our tourist industry would be decimated. That is if we have one by next fall???

Even some US airlines are refusing cash refunds and offering only future flight credits!

40 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

What are they going to do- refuse to let them fly into US airports?

Yes, exactly.   Or fine them.   There are many country specific regulations that the airlines have to operate under if they want to have permission to operate to or from  a foreign country.

42 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

Even some US airlines are refusing cash refunds and offering only future flight credits!

They may not wave a flag offering the refund but if you ask they will have to give you a refund.   Southwest didn't advertise that we were eligible for a refund but when I asked last week after they cancelled our flight scheduled in June they granted it without any question.   I received the refund in full 3 days later.

• Thanks 1

Wish Southwest had cancelled my flight. We had to cancel as NC had shut down the motels and the business we were going to so we could not take the trip. SW had no sympathy and kept our money as a Future flight credit. Problem is we have no need to take a flight with them in the time frame they gave us. It would be nice if they would allow us to transfer it to our daughter but alas they will not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

Wish Southwest had cancelled my flight. We had to cancel as NC had shut down the motels and the business we were going to so we could not take the trip. SW had no sympathy and kept our money as a Future flight credit. Problem is we have no need to take a flight with them in the time frame they gave us. It would be nice if they would allow us to transfer it to our daughter but alas they will not.

I have no idea when you cancelled you flight with Southwest but they have extended the expiration date to June 30, 2021 for some of their "Future Flight Credits". 

Their website says ....

Canceling your Southwest flight

If you decide not to travel, as long as you cancel your flight at least 10 minutes before its scheduled departure, the funds used to pay for a nonrefundable ticket (Wanna Get Away® fares) are normally valid for one year from the date of purchase.

However, in recognition of the current travel environment, we are extending the expiration date of some travel funds:

• Customers’ funds that have expired or will expire between March 1 – June 30, 2020, will now expire June 30, 2021.
  • Any travel funds created because you cancel a flight between March 1 – June 30, 2020, will expire June 30, 2021.

It's possible we could need it by 2021 but we seldom fly. We travel mostly overseas on cruises and fly only when we have no choice. The trip we were supposed to go on was a one time deal and now not possible as it was time sensitive.

I should not complain as many are losing their jobs and us only $200.00 for tickets! Actually $475 if you count the European airline!

Edited by gmjc2

On 4/12/2020 at 8:06 AM, franktown said:

When looking for cruise insurance 2 weeks ago was told by 3 different companies that pandemics were not covered.  

Hi Franktown,

Did they show you in their policy wording exactly where it says that?

None of the Trip Cancellation Travel Insurance plans I know exclude pandemics or epidemics.

The policy wording is precise and complicated at the same time. Even before the Coronavirus, there was an abundance of vague / misleading information about what a Trip Cancellation Travel Insurance plan covers. i.e. – not being excluded is different from being covered.

The Cancel For Any Reason covers you no matter when you buy it.

If pandemics or epidemics aren’t always excluded why are people getting surprised by their policy’s coverage?

For the most part, people are not cancelling their trips because there are illnesses in the world. There have always been serious illnesses in different places and most people have opted not to go to those places.

Instead, you’re likely being forced to change your travel plans due to any one or a combination of these common Travel Insurance Exclusions:

- A government regulation, mandate or prohibition
- Failure of any tour operator, common carrier, person or agency to provide the bargained-for travel arrangements. If a travel supplier changes the itinerary, but still gives you a similar trip or a future travel credit or waives the change fees, there’s no payable claim.
- Changes in plans by the Insured, a Family Member, or Traveling Companion, for any not-covered reason; unless the optional Cancel for Any Reason coverage was purchased.
- Fear, worry, concern about something that might happen on the trip.

I hope all this made sense. If not, let me know.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo

On 4/12/2020 at 10:01 AM, susantx3 said:

The  iTravel Insured Travel LX policy  posted by ARandomTraveler seems to be the best bet;  Paying like a slot machine, no excuses.  If you check their website they are going all in by claiming that they will cover any and all Cornavirus Claims  in the past, present  and future. 

Hi Susantx3,

iTravel Insured stopped selling the LX policy a few weeks ago. And, many other companies stopped selling Cancel For Any Reason plans in the last moth.

Steve Dasseos

33 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Susantx3,

iTravel Insured stopped selling the LX policy a few weeks ago. And, many other companies stopped selling Cancel For Any Reason plans in the last moth.

Steve Dasseos

Thanks for the information

iTravelInsured LX is temporarily unavailable for purchase from InsureMyTrip.

Edited by susantx3

My insurance and I believe all others, have it in the fine print that epidemics are not covered. Cancel for any reason coverage is the only policy with ANY coverage. Unfortunately it was expensive and who thought that we would have a world wide Pandemic when we booked our cruises?

The cancel for any reason coverage is no longer available because the insurance companies are greedy but not stupid!!

My company told me I would get a full refund of my premium 5 weeks ago but I have yet to see it!!!!

gmjc2;  hope you get your money;  your travel insurance company is probably talking with their lawyers to see if they can get out of paying for the pandemic outbreak.  That may be why you have yet to receive your payment.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

My insurance and I believe all others, have it in the fine print that epidemics are not covered. Cancel for any reason coverage is the only policy with ANY coverage. Unfortunately it was expensive and who thought that we would have a world wide Pandemic when we booked our cruises?

The cancel for any reason coverage is no longer available because the insurance companies are greedy but not stupid!!

My company told me I would get a full refund of my premium 5 weeks ago but I have yet to see it!!!!

Hi gmjc2,

Which plan do you have?

And, will you post the exact wording that states the epidemic or pandemic exclusion here?

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2020 at 6:58 AM, gmjc2 said:

Southwest has extended their dates again to Sept 7, 2022 for using credits from flights canceled between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020 and have added the option shown below. Have never done anything with points so not sure how it works but says that the points can be redeemed for anyone you choose. Maybe this helps? 

“We have also added a new benefit for our valued Rapid Rewards Members. Those Members who have travel funds that are set to expire or funds that are created between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020 will have the option to convert those travel funds into Rapid Rewards points at the same rate you would be able to purchase a ticket with points today. We hope this provides our Members ultimate flexibility as Rapid Rewards points never expire, never have cancel or change fees (fare difference may apply), and you can redeem your points for anyone you choose.

Our Technology Team is working to build this conversion capability, and we will be in touch when it is ready for you to use. In the meantime, you don’t need to take any action—your travel funds will be automatically extended for the two years mentioned above, and you will be able to make this conversion once we bring this new functionality to fruition.”

20 hours ago, SeasideMemories said:

Southwest has extended their dates again to Sept 7, 2022 for using credits from flights canceled between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020 and have added the option shown below. Have never done anything with points so not sure how it works but says that the points can be redeemed for anyone you choose. Maybe this helps? 

“We have also added a new benefit for our valued Rapid Rewards Members. Those Members who have travel funds that are set to expire or funds that are created between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020 will have the option to convert those travel funds into Rapid Rewards points at the same rate you would be able to purchase a ticket with points today. We hope this provides our Members ultimate flexibility as Rapid Rewards points never expire, never have cancel or change fees (fare difference may apply), and you can redeem your points for anyone you choose.

Our Technology Team is working to build this conversion capability, and we will be in touch when it is ready for you to use. In the meantime, you don’t need to take any action—your travel funds will be automatically extended for the two years mentioned above, and you will be able to make this conversion once we bring this new functionality to fruition.”

WoW!  Thanks for the heads up!!  That will be great if they get it changed before August. We are hoping she can join us in NC for a week then. We bought a summer home ( big destination trailer RV ) in a RV park there. We will drive up in June to get it all set up.

Thanks  again!

On 4/19/2020 at 12:13 PM, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi gmjc2,

Which plan do you have?

And, will you post the exact wording that states the epidemic or pandemic exclusion here?

Steve Dasseos

I do not have a copy of the fine print but it is Allianz International Travel  Insurance. If you go on their website and check the policy plans there will be a place to view the documents.  

50 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

I do not have a copy of the fine print but it is Allianz International Travel  Insurance. If you go on their website and check the policy plans there will be a place to view the documents.  

Allianz has too many policies to check. When you find the wording, please post it here.

16 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Allianz has too many policies to check. When you find the wording, please post it here.

Any policy will do. They all have the same Exclusions in the fine print.

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

Any policy will do. They all have the same Exclusions in the fine print.

On 4/19/2020 at 9:13 AM, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi gmjc2,

Which plan do you have?

Steve Dasseos

Here is an example that I fond that may be adding to gmjc2's confusion regarding exclusions

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/travel/planning/unforeseen-event-coverage.htm

Unforeseen events that travel insurance does not cover

While travel insurance specifically excludes losses caused by reasonably foreseeable events, that doesn't mean every unforeseen event is covered, either. When you purchase travel insurance from Allianz Global Assistance, your plan names specific covered reasons for trip cancellation or trip interruption. Reasons that aren't named aren't covered. Also, like other travel insurance plans, your Allianz Global Assistance plan excludes losses caused by things like:

• War (declared or undeclared), acts of war, military duty
  • Civil disorder or unrest
  • Participation in or training for any professional or amateur sporting competition
  • Participating in extreme, high-risk sports
  • Flying or learning to fly an aircraft as pilot or crew
  • Nuclear reaction, radiation or radioactive contamination
  • Natural disasters
  • Epidemic or pandemic
  • Air, water or other pollution or threat of pollutant release
  • Terrorist events
  • Travel bulletins or alerts
  • Government prohibition or regulations

18 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hey Steve:

Here are links to three Allianz policies.  "One Trip Prime", "One Trip Premier" and "All Trips Executive"

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/api/certificates/download/all?ProductID=17497&State=FL

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/api/certificates/download/all?ProductID=17523&State=FL

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/api/certificates/download/all?ProductID=18563&State=FL

All have similar Exclusions sections:

GENERAL EXCLUSIONS

This section describes the general exclusions applicable to all coverages under your policy. An “exclusion” is something that is not covered by this insurance policy, and therefore no reimbursement would be available. This policy does not provide coverage for any loss that results directly or indirectly from any of the following general exclusions if they affect you, a traveling companion, or a family member:

. . . 

14. An epidemic;

. . .

There was no confusion involved. I did say that there was exclusion of Epidemics/Pandemics. Allianz is no different than any other insurance company in that respect.  

Also not all the companies will refund your premium months after it was purchased so not sure what you have against them? We have made several claims over the years and the only time we were turned down was for an expensive car key fob that was stolen in Denmark.

42 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

There was no confusion involved. I did say that there was exclusion of Epidemics/Pandemics. Allianz is no different than any other insurance company in that respect.  

Also not all the companies will refund your premium months after it was purchased so not sure what you have against them? We have made several claims over the years and the only time we were turned down was for an expensive car key fob that was stolen in Denmark.

Who sells you these policies that you don't review and don't decline to purchase in the free 10 - 14 day period. If you know they're that bad, why do you buy and then complain?

My TravelSafe for Washington residents doesn't have an unnamed pandemic  exclusion. So not ALLLLLL insurance policies. Maybe only ALLLLLL in your state of residence

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Who sells you these policies that you don't review and don't decline to purchase in the free 10 - 14 day period. If you know they're that bad, why do you buy and then complain?

My TravelSafe for Washington residents doesn't have an unnamed pandemic  exclusion. So not ALLLLLL insurance policies. Maybe only ALLLLLL in your state of residence

It is true that Insurance policies vary greatly with different companies and different states of residence and it IS up to each person to understand the policy they have. BUT, no where that I can see did this poster insinuate that he/she was upset with their insurance. It sounds like, in fact, the insurance is offering a refund of their premium (still yet to be received though). Their situation involved the policies of the airlines they were booked on re: refund vs air fare credit. Then questions were asked about their policy exclusions which they answered. So not sure why this post?

So this all got me wondering as to the wording on my policy for my, now canceled, cruise. There is no exclusion regarding epidemic/pandemic in my policy that I can see. They are offering a voucher where we can transfer the policy to a future trip within 3 years and they are willing to insure travel credits due to the current situation. We don’t plan to file a claim since all expenses will be refunded/credited so will probably take the voucher. Would not have ever thought to check pandemic coverage if not for the current situation.