Check future booked flights on American closely

papa B me

Two weeks ago I made the difficult decision to cancel an Azamara cruise I had for September. I thought it might be a good idea to get in line for a refund as it seemed unlikely the cruise would go as planned and/or that my wife would be willing to cruise by then. Also cancelled a NCL cruise for January at the same time(got NCL refund in a week. Still waiting on Azamara) I digress. 

My concern was the 2 non cancelable business class tickets I had with American flying to Lisbon and back from Barcelona. I decided to wait awhile in the hopes American would cancel and give a refund. I also though if things were significantly better by then I would see if I could change to a Lisbon Roundtrip and just spend a week there(wife wasn’t thrilled with this plan). So I’ve just been in limbo on the 6k+ I have in tickets with no cruise. 

This morning I was looking at various cruise lines on CC and how they are doing with refunds. So came across a thread on Regent where someone was warning that American was cancelling parts of flights in the fall but not notifying you. My guess is they hope to reinstate or change them before you find out. 

Sure enough I went on line and saw the Philly to Lisbon leg of the trip was gone. In red letters it said check back at a later date for details on your changed flight. Instead I called American and found I was eligible for a full refund since part of my itinerary was showing cancelled. I could cancel over the phone then go to AA.com to request a refund. This is what I did. 

when you first request the refund it defaults to offering you a voucher with a 20% bump. It gives two buttons to choose from. The first is to accept the voucher. The other says other options. When you click on that it allows you to choose the refund. You have to have your ticket numbers. Once I completed the request I had a confirmation email immediately. Says 7-10 days but the American rep told me on the phone 3 weeks is more realistic. 

Bottom line is this type of thing is why I find CC so valuable. Without the post I would have had no idea I could get a refund now on my non cancelable tickets. Hope this post helps someone else 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, papa.  We were booked nonstop American business class to Heathrow in August, returning nonstop early September on a co-branded BA flight.  Checked my flights a few days ago and found our nonstop to Heathrow has now been changed to connecting flights via Philadelphia.  I will call American tomorrow to try for a refund.

Thanks.  I am confused.  WE have a Business class flight booked for June from Phoenix through Dallas to Rome.  I got a notice from American that it was changed.  When I look at the change all it shows is a new ticket number and price for a RT Phoenix to Dallas.  No mention of the Dallas to Rome.  If I hit cancel trip, it apparently only cancels that new trip.  

I am currently out of the Country and cannot call American.  Do I need to to have this corrected?

8 hours ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

Thanks.  I am confused.  WE have a Business class flight booked for June from Phoenix through Dallas to Rome.  I got a notice from American that it was changed.  When I look at the change all it shows is a new ticket number and price for a RT Phoenix to Dallas.  No mention of the Dallas to Rome.  If I hit cancel trip, it apparently only cancels that new trip.  

I am currently out of the Country and cannot call American.  Do I need to to have this corrected?

That sounds to me as if the Dallas to Rome segment has already been cancelled by American, or at the least that it is in doubt. I definitely think you need to contact them.

Also remember that a lot of airlines have robots that deal with schedule changes and cancellations. I have had people rebooked robotically to flights that cannot connect and they need to leave before they arrive! Just to add to the fun BA and AA use different reservation systems that sometimes don't talk to each other as one would expect.

It does in a social media site I read a report by American. I known for a week my flights were cancel or changed. It was not updated under My Trips by AA.com. So you do need to stay on top of it.