Cruises on your Wish-List

Britboys

Adawn47

can I make the suggestion of a trip whilst you are visiting Bergen. The local tourist information centre run a coach to the home of Edward Grieg. You have time to tour the house and gardens (which are in a beautiful setting overlooking a lake) before a short  concert of Griegs music in a small concert hall in the grounds. Then return to Bergen . It is much cheaper than the excursion run by P and O, and was the highlight of our cruise.

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Thank you for posting when you're not feeling too good. It's appreciated. Get well soon.

Avril 

Right full reply.

Stavanger, if you visit the gardens you will have time for a walk round the town later.

Olden, Briskal glacier with troll car. We also went to Loen sky lift with a valley drive and visit to another glacier, but if I had to choose it would be Briskal.

Tromso has the most northern botanic gardens which were featured on a BBC best gardens programme. There is also a chairlift and I believe ancient rock drawings.

Andalsnes, I honestly can't remember the town at all. We went on a train excursion. The scenery was fantastic and I think we visited the Troll wall.

Bergen, for a first visit I would go up the funicular. You can wander around at the top or have refreshments. Then have a look round the market or shops around the quay.

Have fun planning. You will have a great time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, happy v said:

Right full reply.

Stavanger, if you visit the gardens you will have time for a walk round the town later.

Olden, Briskal glacier with troll car. We also went to Loen sky lift with a valley drive and visit to another glacier, but if I had to choose it would be Briskal.

Tromso has the most northern botanic gardens which were featured on a BBC best gardens programme. There is also a chairlift and I believe ancient rock drawings.

Andalsnes, I honestly can't remember the town at all. We went on a train excursion. The scenery was fantastic and I think we visited the Troll wall.

Bergen, for a first visit I would go up the funicular. You can wander around at the top or have refreshments. Then have a look round the market or shops around the quay.

Thank you for your suggestions. Half the fun of a visiting a new country is in the planning. I'm glad you're feeling better

Avril 

• Like 3

Just off the top of my head...

Danube river cruise

Full transit of the Panama canal

Australia to Hawaii

Alaska

Baltic

Right now of course, I'd gladly take a trip around Southampton water! Fortunately there will be plenty of cruising time post-pandemic (whenever that is).

15 hours ago, happy v said:

Just to expand on the Bergen funicular suggestion a little buy a seafood salad in the fish market beforehand then eat it at the top of the mountain while taking in the views. The salad costs a small fortune but it was worth it for us.

Depending on how mobile and / or energetic you are you can stroll back down the mountain via various trails which are easy to follow.

Norway & The North Cape 2009 343.jpg

Norway & The North Cape 2009 344.jpg

Norway & The North Cape 2009 354.jpg

Edited by DamianG
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Just to expand on the Bergen funicular suggestion a little buy a seafood salad in the fish market beforehand then eat it at the top of the mountain while taking in the views. The salad costs a small fortune but it was worth it for us.

Depending on how mobile and / or energetic you are you can stroll back down the mountain via various trails which are easy to follow.

Norway & The North Cape 2009 343.jpg

Norway & The North Cape 2009 344.jpg

Norway & The North Cape 2009 354.jpg

The views are stunning but I think a return funicular ride is on the cards. Steep inclines are to be avoided now unfortunately. I love where the ship docks too.

Avril 

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

The views are stunning but I think a return funicular ride is on the cards. Steep inclines are to be avoided now unfortunately. I love where the ship docks too.

Avril 

I should have said that we used a winding path downwards but I understand what you are saying. That is Artemis docked in the photo, not sure where the monster sized ships dock these days though?

I really hope you get to cruise around Norway, I love the peace and tranquility of it all and thanks to you I am now looking back at the photos of our 2008 North Cape cruise (any excuse!).

52 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I should have said that we used a winding path downwards but I understand what you are saying. That is Artemis docked in the photo, not sure where the monster sized ships dock these days though?

I really hope you get to cruise around Norway, I love the peace and tranquility of it all and thanks to you I am now looking back at the photos of our 2008 North Cape cruise (any excuse!).

We will be on Arcadia, bigger than Artemis but smaller than the others. I have not read one negative review about Norway and the fjords so I'm pretty upbeat about the whole thing. Peace and tranquillity, two of my favourite words.

Avril 

• Like 1

I really like Norway, and have been fortunate to do a few cruises in that region

As the ship docks in the centre of town, Stavanger is quite walkable - The old town area is nice, but a bit hilly

In Tromso, we went up in the cable car. You can get a bus to the cable car or go on a ships excursion. There's some great views (we went in March, so it was snowy)

Andalsnes is pleasant, but there isn't an awful lot there, apart from a mountaineering museum There's a train ride that a lot of passengers did, and the stop is near the berth, so this might be an option. (again, we were here in March).

If you do the funicular in Bergen, its best to get there as early as possible, as the queues build up. The Bryggen is also a nice place to walk around with its colourful buildings 

IMG_1012.JPG

IMG_7258.JPG

IMG_7394.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wish list cruise involves Norway. 

I hope to get up to Svalbard, one day.

We were booked on an Arcadia cruise 2008, which included Ny Alesund.  However, my mum was taken ill, and it became cleear that she wasn't going to get any better, so we had to cancel the cruise. It was without a doubt the right thing to do, as she died on the day before we would have sailed. We did check the Ny Alesund webcam on the day Arcadia was there, and the weather looked beautiful and Arcadia was there in all her glory. 

Time passed, and we booked other cruises, and Svalbard had dropped off the P&O itineraries.

But we started talking about it again, and we were going to see if Fred Olsen had any cruises that included Svalbard in summer 2022 or 2023.

The way things are now, I'm not sure if it'll happen, or if Svalbard will continue to accept cruise ships.  I'll just have to wait and see 

53 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

My wish list cruise involves Norway. 

I hope to get up to Svalbard, one day.

We were booked on an Arcadia cruise 2008, which included Ny Alesund.  However, my mum was taken ill, and it became cleear that she wasn't going to get any better, so we had to cancel the cruise. It was without a doubt the right thing to do, as she died on the day before we would have sailed. We did check the Ny Alesund webcam on the day Arcadia was there, and the weather looked beautiful and Arcadia was there in all her glory. 

Time passed, and we booked other cruises, and Svalbard had dropped off the P&O itineraries.

But we started talking about it again, and we were going to see if Fred Olsen had any cruises that included Svalbard in summer 2022 or 2023.

The way things are now, I'm not sure if it'll happen, or if Svalbard will continue to accept cruise ships.  I'll just have to wait and see 

Thank you for your suggestions and the photos were lovely. Luckily, and hopefully  we go June 25th so weather should be nice. One of the places we're interested in which isn't often on the itineraries is the Lofoten islands. We've not heard of them so we're itching to explore. At our age we're trying to see much more of the world while we still can. New country, new places and no night-time. Lovely

Avril  

Edited by Adawn47

That’s lucky, to have the Lofoten Islands, as they don’t often appear on P&O schedules. If I every get to Svalbard,  I hope Lofotens are on my itinerary, as I’ve heard there’s some great scenery there. 

At that time of the year, hopefully you’ll get some midnight sun.

i agree, there’s so many places to visit. We’ve said we’ll travel while we can, but we didn’t expect a pause at this point. Hopefully, one day, better days will come back

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I really like Norway, and have been fortunate to do a few cruises in that region

As the ship docks in the centre of town, Stavanger is quite walkable - The old town area is nice, but a bit hilly

In Tromso, we went up in the cable car. You can get a bus to the cable car or go on a ships excursion. There's some great views (we went in March, so it was snowy)

Andalsnes is pleasant, but there isn't an awful lot there, apart from a mountaineering museum There's a train ride that a lot of passengers did, and the stop is near the berth, so this might be an option. (again, we were here in March).

If you do the funicular in Bergen, its best to get there as early as possible, as the queues build up. The Bryggen is also a nice place to walk around with its colourful buildings 

IMG_1012.JPG

IMG_7258.JPG

IMG_7394.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

Thanks for sharing your lovely photos. I especially like the snowy scene in Tromso.

11 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

That’s lucky, to have the Lofoten Islands, as they don’t often appear on P&O schedules. If I every get to Svalbard,  I hope Lofotens are on my itinerary, as I’ve heard there’s some great scenery there. 

i agree, there’s so many places to visit. We’ve said we’ll travel while we can, but we didn’t expect a pause at this point. Hopefully, one day, better days will come back

Always think for the positive but prepare for the negative. A silly little thing my Gran always said,  but I find myself  always doing it. We travelled the far east extensively with that thought in mind but made plans for "just in case we cant". When our flying days were over, (health issues,) we cruised. When/if cruising ends we intend to explore our own beautiful country. Gran was right, you try it.😉

Avril 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

Always think for the positive but prepare for the negative. A silly little thing my Gran always said,  but I find myself  always doing it. We travelled the far east extensively with that thought in mind but made plans for "just in case we cant". When our flying days were over, (health issues,) we cruised. When/if cruising ends we intend to explore our own beautiful country. Gran was right, you try it.😉

Avril 

So true, there’s so much to see in this country 

26 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Here is Artemis in the bay at Lofoten Islands. We didn't take an excursion that day so just wandered into the village, had a look in the only shop that was open then just walked on the beach and surrounding areas. As we didn't really have any plan it was just a day for taking it easy and appreciating the environment.

Norway & The North Cape 2009 267.jpg

Norway & The North Cape 2009 268.jpg

Norway & The North Cape 2009 261.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DamianG said:

Here is Artemis in the bay at Lofoten Islands. We didn't take an excursion that day so just wandered into the village, had a look in the only shop that was open then just walked on the beach and surrounding areas. As we didn't really have any plan it was just a day for taking it easy and appreciating the environment.

Norway & The North Cape 2009 267.jpg

Norway & The North Cape 2009 268.jpg

Norway & The North Cape 2009 261.jpg

It’s nice to wander in those sorts of destinations and just take in all the scenery. Plus the air is so clean 

• Like 3