Word of Warning Seavey's Sleddog

janetmojo

Just FYI and I'm not purposely trying to destroy a company or anything but I booked a refundable excursion in Skagway with Seavey's for two people for over $300 and the trip is cancelled due to COVID and the owner says he doesn't currently have the money to refund me.  Just a word of warning, hoping to take it up with Chase Sapphire.  Be careful on these trips that want full payment in advance.

The company has had zero income this year and used your $300/person to pay his mortgage and feed his family. I would hope that the cruise season can reopen and he still has a company to give you that refund when he is able. Tourism is the main source of income for many up there and they stand to loose everything. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, janetmojo said:

Just FYI and I'm not purposely trying to destroy a company or anything but I booked a refundable excursion in Skagway with Seavey's for two people for over $300 and the trip is cancelled due to COVID and the owner says he doesn't currently have the money to refund me.  Just a word of warning, hoping to take it up with Chase Sapphire.  Be careful on these trips that want full payment in advance.

I am sorry to learn of your predicament.  That is a potential danger of booking a private shore excursion in advance at any port.

Working with Chase is an excellent idea, I think.  And, if the Bank is not able to help, work with the company as well.  I was part of a group that booked a tour with a local company on Guam.  The tour did not go as planned and we asked for a refund.  The owner was not immediately financially able to refund our money.  But, after continued contacts with the owner of the company and the passing of a few months, all of my group did get our refund.  

Good luck!

4 hours ago, Kevin's girl said:

The company has had zero income this year and used your $300/person to pay his mortgage and feed his family. I would hope that the cruise season can reopen and he still has a company to give you that refund when he is able. Tourism is the main source of income for many up there and they stand to loose everything. 

I am a small business owner myself, but as hard as things are now, I would never use money from a building I hadn't built yet to pay for a job I was building. 

• Like 1

I looked up Seavey on several review sites that they are a very highly rated tour company w a good reputation.  I suspect that he is trying to work his way through his problems and will issue you a refund as soon as he is able.  Give him a break and some time.

DON

• Like 3

They have a great reputation. I believe he is being truly honest.

I think like many people in the US - COVID-19 has caused a lot of financial hard ship. I actually appreciate his honesty. Have you asked for a credit that could be used over the next few years when you return to Alaska. I think they would work with you. No one could have expected this would ever happen.

So many individuals in Alaska who work with tourism lost their entire season which often supports them all year.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 3

I truly understand your frustration, janetmojo.

That said, Seavey's is a very reputable operator. We took a tour with them in Seward several years ago and the Seavey family is deeply entrenched in Alaska's sled dog culture, especially the Iditarod.

As AKStafford mentioned, the economy in Alaska right now is toast. A sled dog operator has MANY dogs to feed and take care of year round. Unless Seavey's flat out refused a refund, perhaps a bit of leeway and patience would go a long way.

We have routinely booked independent shore excursions in Alaska and travels worldwide requiring payment in advance without an issue. The current travel environment is unlike anything tour operators have experienced in the past, especially in Alaska.

Edited by DogLover
Typo
  • Like 1

The sad thing is that the Seavey's are a great family/provide a great excursion experience. They have been in Alaska for a long time. 

I feel sorry for all the great Alaskan vendors ran by locals I have used in the past as I know they are hurting.

I had a great experience with Seavey's in Seward- but I do not believe they are in Skagway. Going on the assumption that you meant Seward, it is a small scale business and their only income comes from when they are doing tours but their expenses are still high, as the dogs still need to be fed. In fact, their food costs will be higher, as they also received the leftover buffet food (prime rib and salmon) from the Kenai Fjords boat tours. Please have patience while they figure it out. No Alaska season is going to be hard on the AK economy.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, thegoaliegirl said:

I had a great experience with Seavey's in Seward- but I do not believe they are in Skagway. Going on the assumption that you meant Seward, it is a small scale business and their only income comes from when they are doing tours but their expenses are still high, as the dogs still need to be fed. In fact, their food costs will be higher, as they also received the leftover buffet food (prime rib and salmon) from the Kenai Fjords boat tours. Please have patience while they figure it out. No Alaska season is going to be hard on the AK economy.

They are in Seward. Good catch!

Edited by Coral