Deposit refund inflexibility

aapoet

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

If someone books under a reduced non-refundable deposit and cancels after having made more payments toward the cruise RCI gets everything up to the standard deposit.

I think when you cancel such a booking you get an FCC-$100pp.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

I have a Celebrity Apex January cruise that was booked during a “$50” Deposit promo.  I never make payments before final, but I did look at the invoice and it does say the minimum deposit is $250pp. 

I guess the question is if you make no more payments, will they charge you more to get up to the “minimum deposit”?

mac_tlc

And if they charge you more for cancelling your cruise and you don't pay it what are they going to do, cancel your cruise as second time? I suppose they could put you on their Banned List.😒

Not RCL--but I had an interesting situation arise with IHG rewards.  I've never used my IHG rewards and stay at pet-friendly  IHG properties when showing my dogs.  There is a nice facility in LA I stay at.  Made reservations and saw how many points I had so used points for one night just to see what it would be like.  It was a 2-nite stay.  Room rate was $150 per night.  I used points plus $79 cash for one night and paid for the other night.  I had to cancel about 2 days before (within the cancellation policy window).  Got my credit card statement and there was a charge for one night at this Holiday Inn Express.  I called and the lady said when using points refunds are only credited in points and they gave me points as a refund.  But I still had to pay the $150 regular room rate for that one night.   I asked her how was that a perk of IHG when I had to pay for a room I did not use (even though the "gave" me a refund in points).  

But, IHG did refund the charge on my credit card and in turn removed the points they had given me as a "refund."  To this day I do not understand their logic.  

I like BOA myself.  It's a free card and I get what I pay for.

20 hours ago, derfp said:

I experienced a similar situation this morning with a call to C&A.  Originally booked next cruise in April 2019 for an Indy cruise in nov 2020.  Paid the $200 deposit and signed the agreement acknowledging the non refundable  deposit and subject to $100 pp penalty if cruise cancelled/changed.  In October I paid an additional $900 toward my final COD.  On March 23, last month, I cancelled the cruise and asked for full refund of $900, knowing my deposit would be forfeited.  During the call I was told I would only receive $600 as deposit in normally $500.00 and therefore I would forfeit the full deposit.  I pointed out that the agreement I signed did not reference “normal $500 deposit”.. after much discussion and asking to speak with supervisor they agreed to reimburse me the $900.  After 30 days, no refund, hence my call today.  First they told me refund was processed on April 10.  I stated I had not received refund, I checked with bank (cap 1) this morning.  Then they told me funds were released on April 19... for 2 different amounts, totaling $600.  Similar delay tactic I’ve here on boards.  I pointed out that once bank receives funds it does not take more than a day to show up as “ pending” credit.  They again referenced the $500.00 original amount for deposit.  Needless to say we had another discussion that escalated with supervisor intervention...again I felt the delay, deflect approach.  I immediately contacted CAP 1 and initiated a dispute claim.  The bank rep noted that that have been processing a lot of similar claims.  The whole process may take up to 90 days but I will not accept RCCL ignoring the realities of their own policies and their attempt to keep my money.    After 18 cruises with RCCL there will be no more.

thanks for letting me vent.

I'm sorry that you've experienced treatment from RCL and that you won't be cruising with them in the future.  I'm sorry that we never had the chance to meet but let me take this opportunity to say goodbye.

Bye