Island Princess heading to Asia

busterfla

2 hours ago, Gimer said:

My crew friend is still onboard.  His contracted on Island Princess started July 17, 2019.  Today, he's been on Island for 355 days.   He was one of the Barista.

What nationality is he? I know that Princess is working to get other crew home via flights as Manila's airport is open and has connection with some countries. The problem is whether there are any scheduled flights to say, Japan or China, etc. It sounded like the remaining nationalities were less than 25 per nation. Mighty expensive charter

He's Filipino, and can't wait to get home.    His wife got off Island Princess in February and their Link is off by one month, so he got the worst of the deal.  This was their first rotation on Island and previously, the did 2 rotations on Grand Princess and they were my adopted family, for 10 of my cruises.  

• Like 1

Final scoop from Island Princess.  Crew member just wrote that there are still 78 crew of mixed nationalities onboard, still waiting for a chartered flight home.  The Zimbabwes and Mauritius crew member are flying out on July 2nd.  The Chinese crew members are flying home on their chartered plane on July 4th.  This makes the Thais, Malays and Kiwis still waiting for their schedule flights.  It seems that with those 29 Cruise Ships anchored in Manila Bay, some organization is putting together crew members from different Countries/Nationalities, from different cruise ships to fill chartered planes, providing they have their 14 days quarantine completed and get a Health clearance.  Once the last group gets a chartered plane scheduled, my friend will be release from Island Princess and go home.  He's hoping it's right after July 4th.   Today, it's his 360 days on board Island Princess.  When the ship is cleared of all nonessential crew members, it will sail to Klang, Malaysia, for it's Stand-Down and wait for when Princess re-starts cruising again.  It's been a long road home for them.  Time to recharge.

Thanks  Heart-Strong  3x5  copy.jpg

Edited by Gimer
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 1:28 PM, Gimer said:

Final scoop from Island Princess.  Crew member just wrote that there are still 78 crew of mixed nationalities onboard, still waiting for a chartered flight home.  The Zimbabwes and Mauritius crew member are flying out on July 2nd.  The Chinese crew members are flying home on their chartered plane on July 4th.  This makes the Thais, Malays and Kiwis still waiting for their schedule flights.  It seems that with those 29 Cruise Ships anchored in Manila Bay, some organization is putting together crew members from different Countries/Nationalities, from different cruise ships to fill chartered planes, providing they have their 14 days quarantine completed and get a Health clearance.  Once the last group gets a chartered plane scheduled, my friend will be release from Island Princess and go home.  He's hoping it's right after July 4th.   Today, it's his 360 days on board Island Princess.  When the ship is cleared of all nonessential crew members, it will sail to Klang, Malaysia, for it's Stand-Down and wait for when Princess re-starts cruising again.  It's been a long road home for them.  Time to recharge.

Thanks  Heart-Strong  3x5  copy.jpg

Do you know what the 2 large cruise ships are anchored in Oakland?

I saw the Regent Seven Cruise ship but there were 2 large cruise ships near the West Oakland BART station. 

Thanks!

Tom😀

Hi Tom.   Tired, waiting for another cruise.  Yes, three ships are Lay-up in the Port of Oakland.  The Norwegian Jewel and Oceania Regatta are tied up at the Outer Harbor-Ports of America.  Both facing the SF/Bay Bridge Toll Plaza.  The Seven Sea Mariner is berth at the Inner Harbor-Howard Terminal, across from Alameda. My understanding is that they have a 3 months contract to stay there and can extend it.  

Fran and I are booked on the Ruby's Oct. 24 to Hawaii, that's if things are going well.  My friend Brian Vasquez, the Hawaiian Ambassadors that got off Grand Princess and was quarantine at Marimar Air Base said all his Music Instruments, Hawaiian Crafts and his Ukuleles are still on Grand Princess.  Grand Princess is now down in Panama.  So if and when they start up cruising again, it's going to be a big chore to re-unite his stuff to do his Hawaiian Program on board Ruby.  It's going to take some time to get back to cruising.  Tom, stay Healthy and stay Safe.   Mahalo, Stan 

Is it OK if I bump this thread? I passively followed (and thank you for all of your updates from your crew members friends!) and noticed the beginning of the Princess ship exodus from Manila, following the beginning of exits by other company's ships. Majestic is heading to Hong Kong while Golden/Crown/Island/Ruby are all bound for Port Klang, Malaysia. It'll be interesting to see what those next steps are for these ships.

Princess ships left in Manila are Royal/Pacific/Diamond/Sea/Sun/Sapphire as of 11:20 GMT. Hopefully the remaining crew on the other ships still anchored in Manila Bay can get home soon!

Nothing new from my friend. He's home with his family and I'll leave him be for a while. They have some catching up to do. I looked last night early and only the Majestic had any movement. Gives me something to watch along with the Sky in the Med

On 6/29/2020 at 12:54 PM, Gimer said:

Hi Tom.   Tired, waiting for another cruise.  Yes, three ships are Lay-up in the Port of Oakland.  The Norwegian Jewel and Oceania Regatta are tied up at the Outer Harbor-Ports of America.  Both facing the SF/Bay Bridge Toll Plaza.  The Seven Sea Mariner is berth at the Inner Harbor-Howard Terminal, across from Alameda. My understanding is that they have a 3 months contract to stay there and can extend it.  

Fran and I are booked on the Ruby's Oct. 24 to Hawaii, that's if things are going well.  My friend Brian Vasquez, the Hawaiian Ambassadors that got off Grand Princess and was quarantine at Marimar Air Base said all his Music Instruments, Hawaiian Crafts and his Ukuleles are still on Grand Princess.  Grand Princess is now down in Panama.  So if and when they start up cruising again, it's going to be a big chore to re-unite his stuff to do his Hawaiian Program on board Ruby.  It's going to take some time to get back to cruising.  Tom, stay Healthy and stay Safe.   Mahalo, Stan 

Thanks for the info. I’ll add you & Fran to our Meet & Greet if you want. 

I’ve signed up for the April 24, 2020 Pacific Northwest on the Ruby. 

Tom😀

Another update:

Pacific Dawn, Ovation of the Seas, Noordam, and Nieuw Amsterdam are leaving for Singapore.

Pacific Explorer is leaving for Hong Kong.

Royal Princess and Diamond Princess are joining the ships mentioned yesterday leaving for Port Klang, Malaysia.

Port Klang doesn't have that much space, so I guess they'll probably anchor off shore out there, and there's no hurry for ships to rush back towards their homeports, so...I guess we'll see.