Health Insurance for Coronavirus

Our cruise is July 18 to Caribbean from Galveston with RCL.  The insurance booked with booking agency does not cover Coronavirus.  So not only do I have to worry about getting the virus, I am worried that the medical bill could be extremely outrageous.  This does not seem fair.  Am I missing something?       

• Like 1

You are not alone. Here in the UK all insurers are very busy changing the wordings to make sure that any policies taken out since the end of March 2020 specifically EXclude coronavirus, mutations of coronavirus, or anything related to coronavirus.

Policies taken out before may technically still include cover - but if we travel while the outbreak is still on, they probably won't cover it (travelling against FCO advice).

I would think that your cruise in July this year is probably not going to happen anyway. Can't see anyone operating a cruise ship as soon as July.

On 4/24/2020 at 2:40 AM, Thank God for cruises said:

Our cruise is July 18 to Caribbean from Galveston with RCL.  The insurance booked with booking agency does not cover Coronavirus.  So not only do I have to worry about getting the virus, I am worried that the medical bill could be extremely outrageous.  This does not seem fair.  Am I missing something?       

Hi Thank God for cruises,

Does your policy specifically say it does not cover Coronavirus?

Steve Dasseos

5 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Thank God for cruises,

Does your policy specifically say it does not cover Coronavirus?

Steve Dasseos

Simplified, most insurance (more specifically 3rd party travel insurers) issued prior to the current situation may cover trip interruption and travel issues related to Covid19.  Most insurance issued since the current situation will likely have specific clauses now excluding coverage related in any way due to Covid19, which would not be unusual with this type of large scale pandemic concern.

Covering medical expenses related to Covid19 would IMO be more of an issue with one's normal health insurance benefits and not so much by travel insurance carriers.  That coverage would typically be associated with, and limited to, issues that would be proven to be specifically related to the travel taken. 

I would think the OP would be best advised to contact RCI if the policy was issued through them, or the third party carrier if issued separately, and ask the question of them specific to what would or would not be covered.  I doubt anyone here could answer accurately or with certainty as it would depend on the specific policy and carrier involved and the timing with its issuance.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

16 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Simplified, most insurance (more specifically 3rd party travel insurers) issued prior to the current situation may cover trip interruption and travel issues related to Covid19.  Most insurance issued since the current situation will likely have specific clauses now excluding coverage related in any way due to Covid19, which would not be unusual with this type of large scale pandemic concern.

Covering medical expenses related to Covid19 would IMO be more of an issue with one's normal health insurance benefits and not so much by travel insurance carriers.  That coverage would typically be associated with, and limited to, issues that would be proven to be specifically related to the travel taken. 

I would think the OP would be best advised to contact RCI if the policy was issued through them, or the third party carrier if issued separately, and ask the question of them specific to what would or would not be covered.  I doubt anyone here could answer accurately or with certainty as it would depend on the specific policy and carrier involved and the timing with its issuance.

Hi leaveitallbehind,

> Most insurance issued since the current situation will likely have specific clauses now excluding coverage related in any way due to Covid19, which would not be unusual with this type of large scale pandemic concern.

I do not know of any trip cancellation travel insurance policies that have changed their policy wording. This would require them to have each State approve the new policy wording and no company I know has done this yet.

It's possible there will be changes in the future, but none of the companies I trust exclude pandemics or epidemics.

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Allianz also currently covers Covid-19 as an illness ... 

However, until further notice, although not covered under most plans, we are currently accommodating claims for:

• Under Emergency Medical Care Benefit: Emergency medical care for a customer who becomes ill with COVID-19 while on their trip.
  • Under Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption Benefits: Trip cancellation and trip interruption if a customer becomes ill with COVID-19 either before or during their trip.

These accommodations are strictly applicable to COVID-19 and are only available for customers whose plan includes the applicable benefit.  

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/coverage-alerts/2019-novel-coronavirus.htm