"From Now On" Volendam Crew

Crazy For Cats

21 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Uit Den Haag..

Den Haag refers to The Hague.  Unsure about the meaning of "uit".

21 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Met zo'n deftige naam, kan niet anders! / with such a fancy name, wouldn't surprise me 😀

Trying to interpret what these posts mean:  the Captain may have a family connection with the Dutch Royal Family?

41 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Trying to interpret what these posts mean:  the Captain may have a family connection with the Dutch Royal Family?

From Google Translate:  Uit Den Haag:  From The Hague.

Met zo'n deftige naam, kan niet anders!:  With such a decent name, there is no other way!  (Copper 10-8's translation is probably a closer translation though ... "with such a fancy name, wouldn't surprise me" but in a pinch Google Translate does a pretty good job.) 

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

The Hague or in Dutch "Den Haag" or more formal "'s-Gravenhage" is the third city in the Netherlands after Amsterdam and Rotterdam but, because The Hague is the seat of the Dutch government, the fact that the city is the official residency of the Dutch Royal Family, and some other justifications, people who hail from the City, like our friend "Sir PMP," often think that they are numero uno over folks from the two larger cities 😉 

Whereas Amsterdam and Rotterdam are typical "labor" cities who have a huge rivalry with each other, The Hague has always had a reputation of "genteel" ("deftig" in Dutch), some would say that its inhabitants walk around with their "noses held high in the air" something akin to thinking that they are "much better" than those "laborers from Amsterdam and Rotterdam." Pretty funny, actually since "Amsterdammers" and "Rotterdammers" have lots of nicknames for folks from "Den Haag," most not too flattering 😉 A saying that can be mentioned here is "You make money in Rotterdam, spend it in Amsterdam and sleep in The Hague.”

The surname of the current captain of the Volendam has no connection to the Dutch Royal Family of Orange however, multiple surnames like that could indicate nobility and/or an "upper class"  background in the past

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

The Hague or in Dutch "Den Haag" or more formal "'s-Gravenhage" is the third city in the Netherlands after Amsterdam and Rotterdam but, because The Hague is the seat of the Dutch government, the fact that the city is the official residency of the Dutch Royal Family, and some other justifications, people who hail from the City, like our friend "Sir PMP," often think that they are numero uno over folks from the two larger cities 😉 

Whereas Amsterdam and Rotterdam are typical "labor" cities who have a huge rivalry with each other, The Hague has always had a reputation of "genteel" ("deftig" in Dutch), some would say that its inhabitants walk around with their "noses held high in the air" something akin to thinking that they are "much better" than those "laborers from Amsterdam and Rotterdam." Pretty funny, actually since "Amsterdammers" and "Rotterdammers" have lots of nicknames for folks from "Den Haag," most not too flattering 😉 A saying that can be mentioned here is "You make money in Rotterdam, spend it in Amsterdam and sleep in The Hague.”

The surname of the current captain of the Volendam has no connection to the Dutch Royal Family of Orange however, multiple surnames like that could indicate nobility and/or an "upper class"  background in the past

And we have Bertus de Harder and Aad Mansveld..

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Dank U wel meneer Copper . Thank you Mister Copper for this ! 

Not bad for an " Amsterdammer  " ,  it must be said that a lot of Amsterdammers and Rotterdammers are unbelievably  jealous of all the things The Hague has , all the government buildings , the embassies the International Court of Justice , headquaters of Royal Dutch Shell , etc etc  and on top of that  almost  all of the big important decisions are made in The Hague . 

Meneer Copper also forgot to tell the people that the people from The Hague speak the proper " Nederlands "  Dutch .

I will be waiting  "Jan " John ............

Ton :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Dank U wel meneer Copper . Thank you Mister Copper for this ! 

Not bad for an " Amsterdammer  " ,  it must be said that a lot of Amsterdammers and Rotterdammers are unbelievably  jealous of all the things The Hague has , all the government buildings , the embassies the International Court of Justice , headquaters of Royal Dutch Shell , etc etc  and on top of that  almost  all of the big important decisions are made in The Hague . 

Meneer Copper also forgot to tell the people that the people from The Hague speak the proper " Nederlands "  Dutch .

I will be waiting  "Jan " John ............

Ton :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

I haven't been able to compose myself and get up from the floor in order to compose a proper response, Meneer Anthony.................🤣

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

I haven't been able to compose myself and get up from the floor in order to compose a proper response, Meneer Anthony.................🤣

And we have beautiful beaches, non in A'dam or R'dam..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We were on the Volendam's last cruise - 77 day cruise around South America and Antarctica.  Oops.  Make that 75 days as we came back two days early as our last ports of call had the virus and, thankfully, wouldn't let us dock.  No one on the ship had the coronavirus.

It was so good to hear and see the singers and dancers again.  We felt that they were the best we have ever seen on 50+ cruises.

Sorry that they haven't gotten home yet.  So many were excited to see their children or spouses again, plan their wedding, etc. 

14 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

The Volendam was the first ‘dam ship I ever cruised on, and holds a special place in my heart. ❤️

Rotterdam V was my first 'dam ship.  For many reasons, Volendam is my 21st Century favorite HAL ship.  It holds a special place in my heart right next to Rotterdam V.

• Like 1