Electronic Muster Drills

jhannah

On 4/29/2020 at 4:40 PM, rkacruiser said:

it's pretty obvious that many of my "possible future lifeboat friends" had arrived much earlier than I did

Unless you are in a cabin that is very close to your lifeboat of course some will arrive before you.

Thanks for your thoughts you've provided. Here's mine: If there were to be a true emergency, many passengers will be in a panic, running around trying to figure out what to do next ... even though they attended a muster drill on deck. That's why the announcement is made to proceed to your muster station as noted on your key card and cabin door, and why crew members are stationed in stair lobbies to provide instructions. Just as the room stewards do now, they will check each stateroom to be sure the guests have evacuated. I see no reason to believe we'll all be doomed if we don't go physically stand under our lifeboats ahead of time. This is just my opinion. As you've indicated above, your mileage may vary. 🙂

I wonder...if any passenger might have cruised previously on any given ship...could they be excused from a 'new' muster? We have lots of time on Veendam, nothing changes other than the location of our life boat. However, we have done the drill before. To help reduce the sheer number of passengers needing to be on the open deck, only those who have never cruised with HAL or possibly never cruised on that specific vessel would be required to attend that outdoor (elbow to elbow and butt to belly) indoctrination. Electronics would know who has been and who hasn't.

Jim

5 minutes ago, JimnKaren said:

I wonder...if any passenger might have cruised previously on any given ship...could they be excused from a 'new' muster?

That now happens.  If I am given such an option (which I have been given), I am not comfortable to be elsewhere on the ship during the Muster Drill.  Repetition of what appears to be minutia to one might turn out to be not.