No more doctor's note?

Pcardad

To me, the doctor's note requirement was a desperate attempt by CLIA just to try and keep things going - and perhaps satisfy the US government, just before the total shutdown.  Was it ever applied anywhere?  I don't think so.

On another thread, I'd posted links to the Genting and Princess updated health guidelines, and there was no mention of a doctor's note.

Well, would be nice to see what the final requirements will be.  Been kind of quiet on that - both from CLIA and the CDC.  I'm sure there's someone who knows how the negotiations are going, but there may not be a huge rush to conclude them as we seem to accumulate more data every day on COVID-19.  

I read some people have thought that the Genting requirements for their Asian lines seem pretty draconian.  

24 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Regent was waivered out of the requirement in March and never implemented it. Now they don't have to. That's good news for everyone, isn't it?

Absolutely.  The doctor's note prospect did nothing but create consternation for many.

• Like 1

I had ask my Dr in early Mar if he would write or sign a statement that I was fit to cruise. We were planning a family cruise in July. He said yes, today he would and if my health was still as stable as it was today he would then too. So I made the an appointment for a week before the cruise sailed. I am glad that has been settled as it would have been a pain going forward. It really doesn't matter now as we canceled the cruise...though the line still has not canceled it.

However, if a mask is required going forward we won't be sailing as my husband refuses to wear one. I don't mind and can see some good in some places. But I draw the line at paying $1000+ a day to be on a cruise ship and having to wear a mask outside the cabin or on tours. We will stay home and vacation in our RV. But that is just us.

Edited by cwn

4 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

My day has been brightened!
I sincerely hope that this is really the end of any discussion.....excluding us older folks with chronic ailments, which we have cruised and lived with, for many years. 
sheila

Sheila - I knew that this policy was not implemented so I was not worried.  The "mask" thing, IMHO, is simply weird.  People say that don't want to wear them so some governors pretty much say "okay".  Today I did something that I was not suppose to do (not a surprise) and had my nails done.  For reasons that I won't go into on this site, my nails are paper thin so when the "powder" grows out, I am in pain from nail breakage.  Anyway, everything was sterilized and both my nail person and I wore masks.  According to the CDC (that I don't necessarily believe), a mask protects the people around you if you are sick.  So, by both of us wearing masks, we both have protection even though neither of us were sick  (this was in addition to her sanitizing everything in site - including the walls).

So, if I have to wear a mask in certain places on Regent, I will do so.  I don't like them - they are uncomfortable - they make my noise stuffy - they are too warm ........ but, if that is the way that I can cruise on Regent, that is what I will do.  As I mentioned on either thread or another one, it was announced today that one airline will be handing out masks to all passengers but they are not (yet) required to be worn.  You know that I have strong opinions (kinda like you:classic_biggrin:) so I wish that governors, airlines, markets and anywhere else where we are in somewhat close proximity develop some courage and demand that the rules be followed and stop acting like a wuss!  I would rather wear a mask that die.

Rant done.  What are your thoughts?

Jackie:classic_ninja:

• Like 3

The way I understand 'masks for laypeople', it's indeed as Travelcat described.  My mask helps protect you, your mask helps protect me.  I also loathe masks LOL.

But, yes, I'll wear a mask as long as requested.  And, I admit, it would make me feel very uneasy if crew/employees anywhere wore masks, and I did not return the same courtesy to them.

What I'm looking forward to is when production so ramps up that we can start buying useful masks that are fashionable as well.  You know, matching my outfit, etc.    

Edited by greykitty
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Sheila - I knew that this policy was not implemented so I was not worried.  The "mask" thing, IMHO, is simply weird.  People say that don't want to wear them so some governors pretty much say "okay".  Today I did something that I was not suppose to do (not a surprise) and had my nails done.  For reasons that I won't go into on this site, my nails are paper thin so when the "powder" grows out, I am in pain from nail breakage.  Anyway, everything was sterilized and both my nail person and I wore masks.  According to the CDC (that I don't necessarily believe), a mask protects the people around you if you are sick.  So, by both of us wearing masks, we both have protection even though neither of us were sick  (this was in addition to her sanitizing everything in site - including the walls).

So, if I have to wear a mask in certain places on Regent, I will do so.  I don't like them - they are uncomfortable - they make my noise stuffy - they are too warm ........ but, if that is the way that I can cruise on Regent, that is what I will do.  As I mentioned on either thread or another one, it was announced today that one airline will be handing out masks to all passengers but they are not (yet) required to be worn.  You know that I have strong opinions (kinda like you:classic_biggrin:) so I wish that governors, airlines, markets and anywhere else where we are in somewhat close proximity develop some courage and demand that the rules be followed and stop acting like a wuss!  I would rather wear a mask that die.

I am in absolute agreement with you. 
I understand nail problems, and as soon as my nail salon opens, I will be there. Last manicure I had was the day before we were flying to California for “our cruise”.I use powder also and Herb helped me wrap them and remove the stuff. My nails are like mush, even after three coats of clear. 
Same goes from my hairdresser. I am sporting a new look I will not describe...
If I had to wear a mask onboard, no problem. I would do anything they asked, if only I could dine in Pacific Rim, once more. 
So there’s my Rant. 
Love you and miss you and Dennis.

Sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

Love and miss you guys too.  It is so nice that we agree.  I want to reiterate that your positivity before our cancelled cruise and now makes life easier.  It is difficult to read so much doom and gloom.  So, thank you again.

greykitty — love the idea of masks to match our outfits.  That would definitely be very cool!  For me right now, I’d like a kitty mask.  That fits my personality.  When. we eventually go out (and on a cruise), I would like to have an assortment of masks - some for daytime and some for at night.  I’m not very creative so I can’t make them but can imagine adding some sequins to them.  It might become my new hobby.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

The mask is a sham. No rag over your face is really going to protect you from catching a virus. I'm not talking about an N95, I'm talking about cloth masks. So happy for you that you can get your nails done where you are. Why do you say you weren't supposed to do it? Unfortunately , in my state of PA we're still under totalitarian rule and I can't get my grey covered. That's ok, I'll survive. Be safe

3 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I am in absolute agreement with you. 
I understand nail problems, and as soon as my nail salon opens, I will be there. Last manicure I had was the day before we were flying to California for “our cruise”.I use powder also and Herb helped me wrap them and remove the stuff. My nails are like mush, even after three coats of clear. 
Same goes from my hairdresser. I am sporting a new look I will not describe...
If I had to wear a mask onboard, no problem. I would do anything they asked, if only I could dine in Pacific Rim, once more. 
So there’s my Rant. 
Love you and miss you and Dennis.

Sheila

So sorry Sheila that I will not be joining you on the masquerade parade. I respect yours (and others) opinion that we should do whatever is required, but that doesnt go with me. Specially not when the wear a rag over your face has not been proven to stop anything. Everybody is different as to what they'll accept 

4 hours ago, greykitty said:

What I'm looking forward to is when production so ramps up that we can start buying useful masks that are fashionable as well.  You know, matching my outfit, etc.    

You just have to make your own!  If you make the outfit also, it can really match.  😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseluv said:

The mask is a sham. No rag over your face is really going to protect you from catching a virus. I'm not talking about an N95, I'm talking about cloth masks. So happy for you that you can get your nails done where you are. Why do you say you weren't supposed to do it? Unfortunately , in my state of PA we're still under totalitarian rule and I can't get my grey covered. That's ok, I'll survive. Be safe

Agree about many of the homemade masks - they are useless.  I’ve mentioned that I’ve had N95 masks that I take on cruises all the time but have not worn.  I donated some and sent some to our family in Los Angeles.  I also have ‘charcoal” masks that I purchased last year and ordered masks from China with removable filters that have yet to arrive.  The charcoal are the ones that I wear when going to the store.  If I had to go someplace that I considered risky, I would wear a N95 mask (this has yet to happen).   I was just being playful when discussing masks to match my clothing.  I do believe, however, that good masks will be available in the future that may be easier to wear and may come in assorted colors (and I could add bling on them - again, just to be playful).

In terms of getting my nails done, it is not permitted in our state but due to broken nails and painful fingertips, I asked if my nail person could correct the issue.  As described above, we took every precaution.  My nails were not done to look good - they were cut quite short, had a clear powder applied to strengthen the nails and that is all.  I typically follow rules to a “t” but was uncomfortable.  In terms of my hair, I gave myself a trim and have everything that I need to touch up roots without going anywhere. I wish that we lived in a state that enforced their rules but this is not the case.  Still, since March 13th, we have only been out of the house for necessary reasons like shopping and only one of us goes (tomorrow is Dennis’ turn and Monday is mine).

You stay safe as well!

Edited by Travelcat2

5 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

The rag masks will probably go well with the current high fashion style of ripped jeans.We are also still on lock down  in N.Y. state and following the rules.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

So sorry Sheila that I will not be joining you on the masquerade parade. I respect yours (and others) opinion that we should do whatever is required, but that doesnt go with me. Specially not when the wear a rag over your face has not been proven to stop anything. Everybody is different as to what they'll accept 

Hi Maria

I said that a mask would not stop me from cruising. I prefer this was not the case, however, I will do whatever is required. 
you are right... everyone is different as to what they will accept. 
Love you and miss you. 
sheila

21 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

This may be a stupid question but is there a belief that Regent will require masks as some point?

My belief is that anyone that prepares or serves food should be wearing a mask and gloves which obviously includes onboard Regent.  There has been discussions (not on the Regent board) of cruise lines having to do away with buffets altogether.

In terms of Regent (and I'd love your input on this), three of the ships lend themselves well to having the crew members being served.  Explorer (and I assume Splendor is the same) is not set up for passengers to be served but it is doable.  If you think about the food that is laid out in La Veranda and the Coffee Connection, some items like breads and pastries are pretty open - not protected as much as other foods.  So, this is a long way of saying that, in my opinion only, if someone goes to the buffet and wears a mask, it would protect the crew - not only from coronavirus but colds, flu and other communicable diseases.  

As things existed before the "new normal", most crew members were not in close proximity to the guests and the only things that come to mind that are served was toast, and the sliced meat/fish/chicken of the day that was being sliced in front of the passengers and then a plate was handed to you.

I did start a thread about how to move forward in a safe way.  As usual, it went totally off topic - people were rude and the thread needed to be taken down.  

• Haha 1