Chargeback FYI

FYI for anyone who paid for a cruise via AMEX and afraid of the future of the industry and not receiving their refund. I contacted AMEX 2 days ago to file a dispute pertaining to the cancellation of an upcoming cruise by NCL. I was completely up front with them and advised that I was not defrauded, but that I felt that waiting 90 days + was excessive and unreasonable. I advised them of the refund policy, everything was explained to them in great detail (that the refund request had to be made at a later date, and payment within 90 days). I personally was going to wait the 90 days until the news broke of the possibility of NCL filing for bankruptcy. That's when I called. 

Was just advised that the dispute was complete and my check was in the mail. Took two days.

I'm sure all results may vary, but I have been with AMEX for decades and never disputed a charge. Should also note the entire cruise was paid on the AMEX.

Good luck and be well.

• Like 3

I also filed a few days ago. But with my BOA NCL Credit Card.   Did the same thing. Explained that I should be on my Alaska cruise right now. And explained all the details.    The next day they credited my account back to 0.    
Now I may even close that CC as I just opened it for cruising with NCL when I went to Alaska last year.   

1 minute ago, Ptroxx said:

I also filed a few days ago. But with my BOA NCL Credit Card.   Did the same thing. Explained that I should be on my Alaska cruise right now. And explained all the details.    The next day they credited my account back to 0.    
Now I may even close that CC as I just opened it for cruising with NCL when I went to Alaska last year.   

Call them and make sure that it is truly closed before you consider cancelling the account. I showed a credit to my card online hours after filing the dispute. I think that is standard operating procedure during a dispute. I went online a few hours ago and observed that the dispute was closed. I called AMEX to confirm this as my window to file for the refund via NCL was approaching. They confirmed that it was closed and asked whether I wanted a check or electronically sent to my bank.

45 minutes ago, NoobCroozer said:

Call them and make sure that it is truly closed before you consider cancelling the account. I showed a credit to my card online hours after filing the dispute. I think that is standard operating procedure during a dispute. I went online a few hours ago and observed that the dispute was closed. I called AMEX to confirm this as my window to file for the refund via NCL was approaching. They confirmed that it was closed and asked whether I wanted a check or electronically sent to my bank.

Yeah I don’t plan on closing It right away. I forgot I have some financial things going on that I don’t want to close anything right now.   
BOA usually emails me about account updates.  So we’ll wait and see.   Either way I’m just glad I’m not getting charged the interest on a payment I shouldn’t have.   
Guess we’ll wait and see.   

My canceled cruise was also booked with AmEX.  Today my request for a refund was filed by my TA.  If I don't see it within 30 days, I'll file the chargeback.  I'll give them the opportunity to make it right.

Well I'm glad that all of the posts stating that if they did this they would be committing fraud, that the cruise line would blackball the cruiser and that the credit card company would rescind their card stopped.

It seems the credit card companies are getting results.  Good!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mafig said:

Well I'm glad that all of the posts stating that if they did this they would be committing fraud, that the cruise line would blackball the cruiser and that the credit card company would rescind their card stopped.

ummmm.... do you understand the term "fraud"?  Each poster in this thread stated they were completely upfront with their bank thus there was no fraud....the other threads you referenced had people stating "services paid for but not received" and neglected to be upfront with the credit card companies that they actually accepted the cancellation reimbursement offer. 

2 hours ago, mafig said:

People actually were stupid enough to post that a chargeback for a cancelled cruise is fraud?  Mother of god.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mafig said:

It seems you haven't read very far.  Visa has announced that they will not allow chargebacks if the cruise was not allowed to sail.  Quite a number of posts saying their bank said to wait it out.  NCL taking back penalty charges, leaving the person with no recourse to dispute except with NCL directly.

As to posts saying what COULD happen (not what WOULD - an entirely different statement), it all still could.  As to a person and/or credit card getting black balled, unless a person actually tries to book a cruise and/or use the credit card to book a cruise there probably won't be any way of knowing.  Doubt that they will send out a notice if that happens.  People who have been blackballed by vendors never seem to know about it until their order or whatever is denied.

There are different categories of people who are using chargebacks - some more legit than others.

The person who just doesn't want to wait, the person who cancelled and is PO'd because they only got FCC through POM, those who have changed their mind and no longer want FCC, and those who just have a grudge against NCL (although some seem to try to instigate trouble on all of the cruise line forums).  And perhaps a few who are trying to double-dip.

I don't recall seeing any closed cases on anything except AMEX (and as noted above, their process is different - and that is why you pay significant annual fees for that card).  And of course, the instance where NCL charged a 25% cancellation fee.  Temporary credit is not the same as a closed case.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, julig22 said:

It seems you haven't read very far.  Visa has announced that they will not allow chargebacks if the cruise was not allowed to sail.  

People who have been blackballed by vendors never seem to know about it until their order or whatever is denied.

I don't recall seeing any closed cases on anything except AMEX (and as noted above, their process is different - 

Maybe it's you who hasn't read very far.

I am in possession of a VISA and also received a resolution from BOA VISA for over a month.  Many others have had success with credit cards other than AMEX.

Still trying to frighten people into actually believing the cruise lines will blackball people for filing disputes with their credit cards?  I posted because I thought that had died down, guess not.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, mafig said:

Maybe it's you who hasn't read very far.

I am in possession of a VISA and also received a resolution from BOA VISA for over a month.  Many others have had success with credit cards other than AMEX.

Still trying to frighten people into actually believing the cruise lines will blackball people for filing disputes with their credit cards?  I posted because I thought that had died down, guess not.

Nobody is trying to frighten anyone.  Forewarned is forarmed.  Some merchants do blackball.  Whether cruise lines will or not remains to be seen. 

If you choose to ignore the posts from people who have not been successful,  that's your choice but don't deny that they do exist.

Good for you if you got a refund and full resolution without waiting.  Should you ever choose to book another cruise with NCL, you would then be in a position to comment on whether you and/or your Visa were blackballed.

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

Nobody is trying to frighten anyone.  Forewarned is forarmed.  Some merchants do blackball.  Whether cruise lines will or not remains to be seen. 

If you choose to ignore the posts from people who have not been successful,  that's your choice but don't deny that they do exist.

Good for you if you got a refund and full resolution without waiting.  Should you ever choose to book another cruise with NCL, you would then be in a position to comment on whether you and/or your Visa were blackballed.

Lol at thinking that a cruiseline is going to blacklist somebody for disputing a charge for a cruise... that the cruiseline cancelled and then refused to refund in a timely fashion.  Also, lol at thinking that NCL, which is almost certainly not going to exist in about a year or so, is in a position to blacklist anybody or turn down a booking.

Edited by Fido Chuckwagon
  • Like 6

I think AMEX is the best cc in the market today.  I switched out of my Citi Executive Card to Amex Platinum for this very reason.  Citi has mishandled my NCL refund, only granting a conditional credit for the past 2 months while they are "investigating."  

The only way to get the refund NCL owes us is to dispute the cruise charge for goods not delivered and services not rendered.  NCL will never get my business again. 

• Like 4

On 5/7/2020 at 2:45 PM, NoobCroozer said:

i filed a non fraudulent dispute , as it seems they have "lost" most of my fcc's from the last canceled cruise. phoned them 4 times with no resolution . filed on tuesday , and my bank phoned up today that it was almost complete and will be adding the funds to my bank account in  a few days.  i didnt want to do this, but they didnt leave me a choice as i was told there is no dept to contact in NCL to help me. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, julig22 said:

It seems you haven't read very far.  Visa has announced that they will not allow chargebacks if the cruise was not allowed to sail.  Quite a number of posts saying their bank said to wait it out. 

Not my experience with Visa. Credit back to my account was quick and swift and the matter is now resolved. I send Visa hundreds of transactions every year which I pay for without dispute. They basically just did in two days what was reported to take NCL up to 90.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 3:47 PM, Jobeth66 said:

And that's why I use my AmEx for purchases like this.  🙂

Same here. That's why I've carried Amex for so many years. When things go wrong, they cover you. 

Amex took care of this chargeback in 1 call and posted the credit in the same billing cycle.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BillDz said:

Same here. That's why I've carried Amex for so many years. When things go wrong, they cover you. 

Amex took care of this chargeback in 1 call and posted the credit in the same billing cycle.

I agree and that's why I've carried my card for 41 years.  BTW, for anyone who has an AmEx Platinum Card (or has been thinking of getting one), AmEx just added a couple of new benefits for the remainder of the year.  They are providing up to a $20 statement credit per month for most streaming services as well as a $20 statement credit per month for wireless telephone services billed directly from U.S. carriers.  I guess they're doing this since we don't have any opportunity to use most of the travel-related benefits at the present time.  That alone comes close to paying the pro-rated monthly cost of the annual fee.

9 hours ago, blcruising said:

Not my experience with Visa. Credit back to my account was quick and swift and the matter is now resolved. I send Visa hundreds of transactions every year which I pay for without dispute. They basically just did in two days what was reported to take NCL up to 90.

Just to clarify, the Visa policy to not accept "services not provided" as a valid reason for a chargeback on a cancelled cruise took affect April 1, 2020.