Please help us decide. Switch or Stay? Odyssey related

My wife and I and our 2 children are booked for April 9th 2021 on Odyssey.  I know we're about 11 months out but with the news that new ships (Odyssey and Wonder) will be delayed, I'm worried.

So I'm looking for advice and opinions.  Keep the Odyssey booking and keep our fingers crossed that the delay doesn't affect our cruise?

Or, book a different cruise?

We really want to go back to Southern Caribbean and that's why we picked Odyssey, new ship with an 8 day Southern Itinerary sailing from Florida.  I also saw that Brilliance has an 8 day Southern sailing from Florida in that same time frame.

As a side note.  Our sailing booked on Odyssey is the last sailing in the Caribbean before it heads to its home port in Rome in May.  Not sure if this will play a factor in Royal Caribbeans plans for this ship.  

Thank you.

I'm booked a one of a kind and then b2b in the same time frame as your cruise, april 2021.

I could lift and switch the b2b to 2022. My reasons are different than yours, I'm over 65 and part of me thinks put off one, dont take too many risks until there is a vaccine. You only have until august 1st to decide. So we wouldnt know by then. Hopefully the 2 other cruises will give me my cruise fix, but I will have to self quarantine after each because of the age of my parents which will be a pill.

Idk either 

I get it sounds like you just are thinking a different ship, same time frame. Have you considered waiting a year?

Edited by firefly333

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I doubt that Odyssey will be delayed by 6 months.  The shipyard where she is being worked on is one of the few that never shut down completely and she was getting close to the final stages of construction. 

Delay may be in dredging and widening  the Tiber River.  They cancelled a contract with Nasa/ Marion Power Shovel Company for a updated Crawler Transport when loaded transport speed could not achieve 1.5 mph.  

On 5/10/2020 at 1:38 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

I doubt that Odyssey will be delayed by 6 months.  The shipyard where she is being worked on is one of the few that never shut down completely and she was getting close to the final stages of construction. 

I have been monitoring the Meyer Werft web cams and website.  They are definitely making great progress on the ship.  I know we have a 5 month cushion to play with but we only get to cruise once every couple years and that's why I was asking.  I know Brilliance is a much older ship but it also has a great 8 day Southern Itinerary which we were looking forward to.  We have sailed on Liberty, Allure and Harmony when they were brand new but also have been on Enchantment a couple times and still had a great time despite being an older, smaller ship without all the bells and whistles that the new mega ships have.

On 5/10/2020 at 4:31 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Delay may be in dredging and widening  the Tiber River.  They cancelled a contract with Nasa/ Marion Power Shovel Company for a updated Crawler Transport when loaded transport speed could not achieve 1.5 mph.  

Tiber River?  That's in Rome.  

13 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Some things may have changed. And as usual I was joking, but this was from Royal. UK

Royal Caribbean’s Odyssey of the Seas will homeport in Rome and sail through the eastern Mediterranean for the summer season.

Debuting in November 2020, the cruise line’s Quantum Ultra-Class ship will be the first in the fleet to combine longer stays in every destination along with overnights in popular Mediterranean cities and beach destinations.

Summer sailings will commence in May 2021 and will include seven-, nine- and 12-night itineraries to Santorini, Mykonos and Athens (Greece); Ephesus and Rhodes (Turkey); Naples (Italy); Heraklion, Crete; and Haifa and Jerusalem (Israel).

Edited by taglovestocruise

On 5/10/2020 at 4:31 PM, taglovestocruise said:

16 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

2 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Some things may have changed.

Royal Caribbean’s Odyssey of the Seas will homeport in Rome and sail through the eastern Mediterranean for the summer season.

Debuting in November 2020, the cruise line’s Quantum Ultra-Class ship will be the first in the fleet to combine longer stays in every destination along with overnights in popular Mediterranean cities and beach destinations.

Summer sailings will commence in May 2021 and will include seven-, nine- and 12-night itineraries to Santorini, Mykonos and Athens (Greece); Ephesus and Rhodes (Turkey); Naples (Italy); Heraklion, Crete; and Haifa and Jerusalem (Israel).

No, you said that they have to dredge and widen the Tiber River.  It must be a different river.  Ems?

3 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

No, you said that they have to dredge and widen the Tiber River.  It must be a different river.  Ems?

I believe the Tiber is the only waterway flowing from Rome to the Mediterranean. It would be easier to homeport in Civitavecchia.  

Emergency medical service is not needed on my side of the conversation. I think I need a cruise, and a trip to the DL.