What we did on our ‘non holidays’

pete14

Rather than approaching the North Sea on the good ship Iona, I was able to photograph Harry the heron, who some of you have heard about on other threads. 

4C626C8B-87F1-47CC-BD15-9E6572C9457E.thumb.jpeg.4622c341847635427d50b570d60e7016.jpeg

Please don’t destroy your screen Presto. 

• Like 5

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 10:11 AM, pete14 said:

Rather than approaching the North Sea on the good ship Iona, I was able to photograph Harry the heron, who some of you have heard about on other threads. 

4C626C8B-87F1-47CC-BD15-9E6572C9457E.thumb.jpeg.4622c341847635427d50b570d60e7016.jpeg

Please don’t destroy your screen Presto. 

Found the photo !!!! There he is and I have no sling shot :-) Well have discovered today that he has not eaten any of the little moorhen babies (they are all thriving) so will relax more now. Have to admit, very handsome too - where was this taken? To be honest it doesn't look like the one we saw ….. perhaps there are 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Found the photo !!!! There he is and I have no sling shot 🙂 Well have discovered today that he has not eaten any of the little moorhen babies (they are all thriving) so will relax more now. Have to admit, very handsome too - where was this taken? To be honest it doesn't look like the one we saw ….. perhaps there are 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should have thought Harry was more of a pescatarian sort of a guy who merely chases the birds.

Regards John

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Found the photo !!!! There he is and I have no sling shot 🙂 Well have discovered today that he has not eaten any of the little moorhen babies (they are all thriving) so will relax more now. Have to admit, very handsome too - where was this taken? To be honest it doesn't look like the one we saw ….. perhaps there are 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe there are 2. I took the picture by one of 3 small ponds near the top right hand corner of the soon to be a Tunstall Arrow phase 2 development. I walked right round the pond and he didn’t move. I am glad the moorhen babies are all fine. Wildlife seems to be thriving at the moment. 

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 8:42 PM, pete14 said:

Maybe there are 2. I took the picture by one of 3 small ponds near the top right hand corner of the soon to be a Tunstall Arrow phase 2 development. I walked right round the pond and he didn’t move. I am glad the moorhen babies are all fine. Wildlife seems to be thriving at the moment. 

Saw them again today and they are doing so well --- all mid size with white 'bibs' now. The Canadian Geese have little ones too --- all yellow and fluffy. It is nice to see nature take over and in some ways today it was not the same with so many people around .……. Having said that, since the people arrived we haven't seen the heron. Every cloud ….

And ….... shock horror --- we saw LOADS of caterpillars today on our walk. Kept picking them up off the paths to move them to the grass. Neither of us can remember seeing so many for decades??!!!

PS We can see the new developments from our back windows --- will wave to you ;-)

Edited by Presto2

Went for our daily local walk to ther River Trent saw a heron which are very common but didnt see the kingfisher today so was disappointed standing on the bridge in the glorious sunshine instead of being on QM2.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Saw them again today and they are doing so well --- all mid size with white 'bibs' now. The Canadian Geese have little ones too --- all yellow and fluffy. It is nice to see nature take over and in some ways today it was not the same with so many people around .……. Having said that, since the people arrived we haven't seen the heron. Every cloud ….

And ….... shock horror --- we saw LOADS of caterpillars today on our walk. Kept picking them up off the paths to move them to the grass. Neither of us can remember seeing so many for decades??!!!

PS We can see the new developments from our back windows --- will wave to you 😉

If I see you waving, I’ll be sure to wave back. Not come across many caterpillars 🐛, it sounds as though you have more than your fair share. 

1 minute ago, pete14 said:

If I see you waving, I’ll be sure to wave back. Not come across many caterpillars 🐛, it sounds as though you have more than your fair share. 

They are coming your way --- we hope. Love 'em. It was like being a child again as they were everywhere !!!!

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Went for our daily local walk to ther River Trent saw a heron which are very common but didnt see the kingfisher today so was disappointed standing on the bridge in the glorious sunshine instead of being on QM2.

I know exactly how you feel as we should be in Norwegian waters on the good ship Iona at the moment. Mind you, every cloud has a silver lining - it might have been Jason Donovan in the theatre tonight (he was supposed to be performing on the cruise).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

That's good.  Loads of caterpillars means loads to butterflies. They were rather scarce last year.

Avril 

Hope they are not the same as the Spanish Processional Caterpillars,  which are extremely toxic.  

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Hope they are not the same as the Spanish Processional Caterpillars,  which are extremely toxic.  

That's okay wowzz. Never been partial to Caterpillar Butties  anyway. Now bacon??? 😆

Avril 

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just watched a video of them. No social distancing at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1