New protocols for river boat operator

taxare

14 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

Yes. The Regent forum should be about Regent cruises so your post is inappropriate, and should be deleted. And Regent doesn't have river cruises, so that's the second reason that your post is inappropriate.

However, I find it annoying that Cruise Critic doesn't really have a river cruise board that compares to the ocean cruise boards.  Does anyone know why? Maybe you should ask them for a new forum for your post rather than randomly choosing Regent's forum to post it since

We should be on our first river cruise today in the middle of a Viking Cruise. They contacted us a few months ago and offered us a one year delay on our cruise with our upgraded airfare, our pre and post stays, and the same cabin we had originally booked, with the same dates with no additional charge. They have already had our money for a long time now since there was a discount for paying in full. We still have their insurance if we cancel for any reason. We are still hoping to cruise next May, and we think it's likely that a vaccine will be available by then, and we'll get it as soon as it's available.

Please, the OP made clear his reasoning  for posting it here. Just ignore it if it offends you so much. I for one find these conditions preposterous, but maybe they'll bring some reality to the fact that this "new normal" that people keep touting is totally untenable. Live with risk or cloister yourself! Oh, and about the upcoming vaccine...hope for the best, but expect the worst!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Pcardad said:

If Regent starts this crap up they will give you the option of a refund as this is a material change from what you bought.

Really? What if they can say its a condition established by the CDC or some government body?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

You couldnt pay me money to subject myself to that. I did keep reading but frankly, they lost me at "This way we start our journey towards the new normal" (I think that was in the 2nd paragraph). Good luck to Scylla, whomever they are!

Maria, I was thinking of you when I read this.  As I said, this is way over top and I would not step foot on one of their boats.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SkystheLimit said:

I think your post is interesting and gives a glimpse as to the short term future of ANY type cruise including Regent. As for elevators, you might see attendants again that would limit the capacity and clean in between.  This is all beginning to feel like the inmates are running the ---------!

Yeah! Which is an excellent reason why I wouldn't  pay a per diem of about $1,000 on Regent under circumstances remotely resembling what was described on the OP 

5 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

A contract is a contract. This is why REGENT has insurance.

I agree with you but wonder if you are familiar with the contract for this particular company.  They likely do not need to follow CDC guidelines and I also wonder what happens if they cancel a cruise during this time.

To those that choose not to sail when some restrictions are imposed upon passengers, It is certainly the right of any person to not cruise.  It seems that flying will require wearing a mask as well so this will be even more limiting to people.

Unfortunately, after just listening to the news, today was a horrible day worldwide for new cases of Covid-19.  What is happening in the U.S. seems like a new version of the Civil War.  Those that will follow guidelines vs. those that will not seems to be escalating.  This is very concerning.  In our state, they are going to our Governor's "Phase Two" for counties that do not have a new case in a certain length of time (I believe 10-14 days).  While the cases in our county is very low, there are people getting sick..... I do not want to debate whether it is being too close to others, not wearing masks, etc.  

My biggest concern regarding this divide is that companies cannot reopen, restaurants cannot reopen, cruise ships will likely not be able to cruise as long as these numbers continue to rise.  There has to be something that the country (and the world) can buy into that will keep us all safe and return us to a better economy.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

This post is perfectly appropriate and provides insight into what may be coming. If you don’t like the topic, don’t read it. Way too many self-appointed posting police here.

You are correct! I just received an email from CC stating that Royal Caribbean had just announced the elimination of buffets, which is part of the original post on this thread. Regent certainly has no river cruises, but much  of what Tauk is doing is along the lines with CDC recommendations, and “trends” in cruising tend to spread. So the original post is relevant here.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

You are correct! I just received an email from CC stating that Royal Caribbean had just announced the elimination of buffets, which is part of the original post on this thread. Regent certainly has no river cruises, but much  of what Tauk is doing is along the lines with CDC recommendations, and “trends” in cruising tend to spread. So the original post is relevant here.

I have cruised with Tauck on  a Danube river cruise. Scylla is a Swiss company and that may help others understand the stringent guidelines. 

I tore my MCL in Austria skiing and was flying Swiss Air out of Zurich back to USA. I hid my knee brace because the Dr.told me they most likely would not allow me to board without having all kinds of medical documentation. Very strict rules there. I made it home 😉

• Like 1

Having been the object of incoming, Not Friendly, hostile fire 50+years ago in a country far, far away:  can put criticism as to my (and the TS) comments on this Thread into proper perspective.  Not going down the rabbit hole on this one. 

Do appreciate responses from several contributors as to relevancy of advising of continued, enhanced, and restrictive protocols regarding a venue, albeit a European river boat, which may well evolve into direct application to the Regent experience aboard a relatively small vessel--particularly when that Regent vessel visits European venues sometime in 2021. 

Time will tell.  In the meantime:  still hoping to be aboard Explorer next April at Tokyo. 

GOARMY!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I guess I would just love to just be on a Regent ship sailing through the sea, new rules or not. After 3 months of living 12-14 hours a day wearing a n95 at work I guess I’m used to seeing everyone in masks. At least paper and cloth masks for the most part comfortable. I am booked on AMA River Cruise May 2021. First responders get a free cruise. Until a vaccine is available this cruise might be only thing I am comfortable going on. But I am an optimist and WC 2022 booked with Regent.

• Like 2

I am sure that everyone on this board can agree we are all so thankful for the healthcare workers and first responders for their brave and tireless work. I am privileged to serve on the board of a hospital system and everyday I am awed by the selflessness of these individuals. Bravo to AMA for offering that!

GOARMY, we are scheduled for the April Tokyo RT, and we are so looking forward to going! Thank you for your service to our country!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Our only river cruise experience has been a couple of times on Scenic river boats. The closing of elevators would be no problem on them, because they don’t have any. They have only two interior levels open to guests, plus stair access to the upper outdoor level. The closing of public restrooms also wouldn’t be a problem, as guests are never far from their rooms. But these things would be problems for many on much larger, ocean going ships.

Actually most Scenic river boats have three passenger decks, one “aquarium class” and two balcony decks, and an elevator that serves the three passenger decks but not the sun deck. 

I worry about all the health checks Scylla plans on doing, and how they will react to a fever. We did a 15 day cruise on the Rhine and Moselle last October. On our last excursion of the cruise half the bus was coughing and sniffling. Probably some had fevers. Are they going to start quarantining anyone who gets cruise cough?  

Edited by jeb_bud
Fixed a spelling error.

This seems to be a rather contentious thread.  I found this on Regent's Facebook page and believe it to be something worth reading and remembering - especially before we post.

• Some people have trips booked that they are excited about and they are focused on the trip going as planned and being safe. Be Kind

• Some people are concerned about safety and don’t feel comfortable travelling yet (or in the near future). Be Kind

• Some people are mourning the loss of a trip that may have been scheduled to mark an important milestone. Be Kind

• Some people’s financial situation has changed significantly (job loss, investment’s devalued) and desperately need their refund back. Be Kind

• Some people have been directly affected by Covid-19 and are worried about safety. Be Kind

• Some people haven’t been directly impacted by Covid-19 and are taking a “business as usual” approach. Be Kind

• Some people are struggling with anxiety. Be Kind

• Some people have cruised with Regent for a long time and consider their team members to be like “family”. Be Kind

• Some people have had very unhelpful or unfriendly interactions with Regent recently and are frustrated or feel let down. Be Kind

• Some people are excited about getting extra value in the FCC and being able to sail for longer or in a higher-grade cabin. Be Kind.

• Some people want to get your opinion before making a decision on their travel plans. Be Kind

Let’s hold each other up and recognize that we are all in different situations, but united by our love of cruising and our desire to share our experiences and the joys of travel.

Happy Travels.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

This seems to be a rather contentious thread.  I found this on Regent's Facebook page and believe it to be something worth reading and remembering - especially before we post.

• Some people have trips booked that they are excited about and they are focused on the trip going as planned and being safe. Be Kind

• Some people are concerned about safety and don’t feel comfortable travelling yet (or in the near future). Be Kind

• Some people are mourning the loss of a trip that may have been scheduled to mark an important milestone. Be Kind

• Some people’s financial situation has changed significantly (job loss, investment’s devalued) and desperately need their refund back. Be Kind

• Some people have been directly affected by Covid-19 and are worried about safety. Be Kind

• Some people haven’t been directly impacted by Covid-19 and are taking a “business as usual” approach. Be Kind

• Some people are struggling with anxiety. Be Kind

• Some people have cruised with Regent for a long time and consider their team members to be like “family”. Be Kind

• Some people have had very unhelpful or unfriendly interactions with Regent recently and are frustrated or feel let down. Be Kind

• Some people are excited about getting extra value in the FCC and being able to sail for longer or in a higher-grade cabin. Be Kind.

• Some people want to get your opinion before making a decision on their travel plans. Be Kind

Let’s hold each other up and recognize that we are all in different situations, but united by our love of cruising and our desire to share our experiences and the joys of travel.

Happy Travels.

What a good reminder TC. It is Mental Health Awareness week in the UK with the theme being on the benefits of both giving and receiving kindness on well being

Thank you for posting this

13 minutes ago, cerise638 said:

some positive news on a fast test being on widespread trial. If successful could be a gamechanger for airtravel and cruising. However quite rightly it will used for key workers initially.  A bit of light at the end of the tunnel

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52762153

Thank you for a very interesting and helpful article.  My husband was born and raised (through university) in England and therefore can get health benefits there while I am born and raised in the U.S.  If the coronavirus vaccine currently being developed by Oxford is released sooner than in the U.S., we hope to fly to England to get it (once there is enough availability and everyone in the U.K. has been able to be vaccinated.)  Money is not an issue but our health is.  I personally believe that what is being developed by Oxford is likely safer than what is being developed in the U.S. (just a personal opinion).  

Thank you for your kind words!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, cerise638 said:

some positive news on a fast test being on widespread trial. If successful could be a gamechanger for airtravel and cruising. However quite rightly it will used for key workers initially.  A bit of light at the end of the tunnel

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52762153

This is an interesting article, but it does not answer a very important question.  It claims they will perform ONE test in 20 minutes.  Does it need to wait until that test is done before it can do the next test?  If so, it can do a maximum of 3 tests per hour per machine.  That would be similar to the Abbott quick test which claims to give a positive result in 4 or 5 minutes and a negative test in 13 minutes, ONE AT A TIME.

The Roche test is being rolled out in the US as well as the UK, and is similar to the Abbott test.  The Roche test claims a result in 20 minutes, and is presumably the source of the headline in UK article quoted by cerise638.  The same article quotes an official, "We've signed contracts to supply in the coming months over 10 million tests from Roche and Abbott."  It does not sound like an additional UK miracle, just the same progress that we are making here.  I do not understand the need to continually bash the US and say that the UK is better:

https://www.reuters.com/article/brief-roche-antibody-test-for-covid-19-g-idUSFWN2D10RB

I am still waiting for news of a quick test that can be done many at the same time, which is what we need to be a "gamechanger" for screening travelers.  Both the Abbot and Roche tests must be run through a small "point of service" machine.  Both have the machines already widely in use in health care provider offices for other purposes, so it is just a matter of distributing the appropriate swabs to collect the specimens and reagents to run the tests.  We need something more like an over the counter pregnancy test, which does not require a machine to run it.  If each test is fully self contained and does not require a machine to process it, then many can be done at the same time, which is what we need for travel screening.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

There should be no need for medical tourism as, if trials are successful (a big if), the Oxford vaccine will be made available worldwide through AstraZeneca.

Development & production has now been further supported by a US Government Agency to the tune of $1bn

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52751661

300M doses have been ordered for USA.

• Like 2

Yes, a vaccine would put an end to the problems we are now having, on land, sea, and air! My oldest adult daughter works for Johnson and Johnson. She confirmed a news report I heard that J&J is now making $1B worth of a vaccine they are very confident will pass the trials. To prevent production time from causing additional delays in availability. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

This is an interesting article, but it does not answer a very important question.  It claims they will perform ONE test in 20 minutes.  Does it need to wait until that test is done before it can do the next test?  If so, it can do a maximum of 3 tests per hour per machine.  That would be similar to the Abbott quick test which claims to give a positive result in 4 or 5 minutes and a negative test in 13 minutes, ONE AT A TIME.

The Roche test is being rolled out in the US as well as the UK, and is similar to the Abbott test.  The Roche test claims a result in 20 minutes, and is presumably the source of the headline in UK article quoted by cerise638.  The same article quotes an official, "We've signed contracts to supply in the coming months over 10 million tests from Roche and Abbott."  It does not sound like an additional UK miracle, just the same progress that we are making here.  I do not understand the need to continually bash the US and say that the UK is better:

https://www.reuters.com/article/brief-roche-antibody-test-for-covid-19-g-idUSFWN2D10RB

I am still waiting for news of a quick test that can be done many at the same time, which is what we need to be a "gamechanger" for screening travelers.  Both the Abbot and Roche tests must be run through a small "point of service" machine.  Both have the machines already widely in use in health care provider offices for other purposes, so it is just a matter of distributing the appropriate swabs to collect the specimens and reagents to run the tests.  We need something more like an over the counter pregnancy test, which does not require a machine to run it.  If each test is fully self contained and does not require a machine to process it, then many can be done at the same time, which is what we need for travel screening.

Susie. I was no way implying anything about country versus country progress.  I just thought it was a positive glimmer. I did highlight that it was early days and of more benefit for front line testing

Please understand that not all of us have the scientific background you appear to have and we look for positive where we can but a test that can deliver a correct result in 20 mins is progress.  The quantity of how many tests can be done at anyone time is logistics and that can only be solved by investment in the appropriate technology.  I agree that is another hurdle to be overcome

Apologies if I have posted old news in terms of speed of getting test results returned. Currently in the UK covid results can take quite a long time 

1 minute ago, cerise638 said:

Susie. I was no way implying anything about country versus country progress.

Cerise, that comment was not directed against you.  I apologize if you took it that way.

As Flossie said, it is a worldwide problem and many countries are working on solutions.  I agree, and my comment was not directed against Flossie either.  I was also not trying to say that the US is doing better than anyone else.  I do try to be positive and "non-confrontational," but I had passed my tolerance level for some of the US bashing here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Cerise, that comment was not directed against you.  I apologize if you took it that way.

As Flossie said, it is a worldwide problem and many countries are working on solutions.  I agree, and my comment was not directed against Flossie either.  I was also not trying to say that the US is doing better than anyone else.  I do try to be positive and "non-confrontational," but I had passed my tolerance level for some of the US bashing here.

Sorry for overreaction then.  Quite frankly Susie I am clutching at straws that I can sail on my planned November cruise.  My criteria and I acknowledge this probably quite different to other people's criteria

Get on a flight with limited risk of catching the virus

Not needing to wear a mask

Limited risk of carriers of disease on board

And finally but the most important my hairdresser opens before sailing. Salt and pepper roots and 1980's dynasty style hair is not a good look

Keep safe and well

• Like 1