December 2020 - I have taken the plunge

AspirationalFlyer

Hello all

I hope everyone (and their families) is safe and well. 

I’ve taken the plunge and booked a 3 day short break on QV in December 2020. I’m not sure if it was a sensible decision or not, but we had substantial discounts and carried over onboard credit to use. What I’ve booked wasn’t free, but it was (very) good value. 

I was originally planning a Med 2021 cruise, but these seem limited and I’d prefer something shorter than 14 nights. It was also cheaper to book on the new Celebrity Apex, even after the Cunard discount. 

My questions for this group are: 

• Is it too optimistic to think I can cruise in December 2020? Views seem to be mixed on the threads I’ve read so far. I wondered if this trip was lower risk given it is short and only to Belgium (and I appreciate Belgium has been materially impacted by COVID-19). Cunard’s fairly generous rebooking policy has given me some comfort. 
  • Will social distancing measures dampen the festive fun? Maybe it is too soon to know. 
  • Does anyone has any recent experience of room 4051 on QV. I’ve seen separate threads on this, but wanted to draw on the continued expertise and insight of this group. Is it worth the premium over the other Britannia class cabins? 

Thanks very much all and stay safe! 

AF

46 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Wouldn't go until there is a vaccine. You take a three day cruise and risk your life..

Hello

Thank you. Presumably assuming I have not already have COVID (and I may well have done). Perhaps I should push to get antibody tested as soon as those tests become more widely available. 

I've long been booked - but for a winter EB crossing - and might also be too optimistic to think that it will happen.  If operations don't resume before January then my sailing will be canceled.  Originally the ship would have been in New York on Jan. 3rd.  But right now she's in Southampton and will remain there for a while.  Cunard isn't going to sail the ship empty WB over the Christmas and New Year holidays.  If there is a World Voyage then sailing would start Jan. 10th out of Southampton and the US passengers flown over to board there. 

My main concern is what the Cunard experience will be like once operations resume.  There's been a lot of speculation on what procedures might be in place but right now nobody really knows.  There are several that would be deal breakers for me if they were actually implemented. 

20 minutes ago, mandranuc said:

I'm not sure UK statistics support that theory

I'm not saying they are equally dangerous, merely that every activity has risks attached. Certainly it appears that the vast majority of people who get this horrid disease do not die from it. But then there is the risk of being quarantined as well.

12 hours ago, AspirationalFlyer said:

Hello all

I hope everyone (and their families) is safe and well. 

I’ve taken the plunge and booked a 3 day short break on QV in December 2020. I’m not sure if it was a sensible decision or not, but we had substantial discounts and carried over onboard credit to use. What I’ve booked wasn’t free, but it was (very) good value. 

I was originally planning a Med 2021 cruise, but these seem limited and I’d prefer something shorter than 14 nights. It was also cheaper to book on the new Celebrity Apex, even after the Cunard discount. 

• Is it too optimistic to think I can cruise in December 2020? Views seem to be mixed on the threads I’ve read so far. I wondered if this trip was lower risk given it is short and only to Belgium (and I appreciate Belgium has been materially impacted by COVID-19). Cunard’s fairly generous rebooking policy has given me some comfort. 
  • Will social distancing measures dampen the festive fun? Maybe it is too soon to know. 
  • Does anyone has any recent experience of room 4051 on QV. I’ve seen separate threads on this, but wanted to draw on the continued expertise and insight of this group. Is it worth the premium over the other Britannia class cabins? 

AF

Let's back to the original request.

It is a much larger Stateroom with a bigger balcony (are you going to place a couple of Sun loungers with the weather at that time of year?).

A good choice if you need the extra space.

However, as prices are low, how about considering a Club Stateroom for the Dining experience?

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Just like crossing the road...

Far less risk of crossing the road I am sure over 36,000 have not been killed crossing roads in UK in the last few months like those that have died due to COVID-19.

We had a similar stateroom on the QE to Alaska last summer.  As you can see from the deck plan it is unusual in that it is longer on one side than the other and therefore the door/window for the balcony is on a sharp angle. The extra space both inside and on the balcony was appreciated. The balcony was noticeably larger than the one we had in  Princess Grill on an earlier QE cruise.

The stateroom we had was an upgrade from a standard balcony room. If asked if I would pay for the larger room I would answer yes -   but only  if the difference wasn't too much.

There are identical staterooms (Deck 5 or above) where the balcony provides a view forward or aft in addition to straight out.

Edited by david,Mississauga

17 hours ago, AspirationalFlyer said:

AF

I had this stateroom last June on the QV. In the extra space was a chair and lamp. The balcony is longer too. We thoroughly enjoyed the location and space of this room.

10 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Let's back to the original request.

It is a much larger Stateroom with a bigger balcony (are you going to place a couple of Sun loungers with the weather at that time of year?).

A good choice if you need the extra space.

However, as prices are low, how about considering a Club Stateroom for the Dining experience?

Hello and thank you for your reply. 

Perhaps not a sun lounger (!) but it’s great to have outdoor space, in particular, because our last cruise was in a relatively small inside cabin. I’m hoping that at least one of the three days might have weather which is cold, but is also bright and sunny. It’s also nice to make new friends and invite them over. 

I’m inspired to get a photo of myself on a sunlounger in December now, amaretto hot chocolate in one hand and a package of Belgian treats in the other. Watch out for a post in December, along with the nutcrackers and gingerbread village......! 

We had the club stateroom on a very similar trip in December 2018 (A2 - does that sound right?) and it was a great experience. We just decided against it on this trip because we could have the larger room and eat in the Verandah every night for less money. I love room service for breakfast and generally don’t eat lunch, favouring sandwiches and scones at 3:30pm! 

Thanks to everyone for the room info too - sounds like a decent choice. 

Stay safe all.

AF 

19 minutes ago, AspirationalFlyer said:

Hello and thank you for your reply. 

Perhaps not a sun lounger (!) but it’s great to have outdoor space, in particular, because our last cruise was in a relatively small inside cabin. I’m hoping that at least one of the three days might have weather which is cold, but is also bright and sunny. It’s also nice to make new friends and invite them over. 

I’m inspired to get a photo of myself on a sunlounger in December now, amaretto hot chocolate in one hand and a package of Belgian treats in the other. Watch out for a post in December, along with the nutcrackers and gingerbread village......! 

We had the club stateroom on a very similar trip in December 2018 (A2 - does that sound right?) and it was a great experience. We just decided against it on this trip because we could have the larger room and eat in the Verandah every night for less money. I love room service for breakfast and generally don’t eat lunch, favouring sandwiches and scones at 3:30pm! 

Thanks to everyone for the room info too - sounds like a decent choice. 

Stay safe all.

AF 

A thought

Pre-Dinner drinks in your stateroomon on the penultimate night with your newly made friends is always nice.

added

Your MD, be it Ismail, Izat, Greg' or Satish will be happy to arrange for you, together with written invitations, if required.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Added

11 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

A thoiught

Pre-Dinner drinks in your stateroomon on the penultimate night with your newly made friends is always nice.

LOL. Sounds great. Let’s hope I make friends quickly on the first night!

I will add myself to the roll call.