Super Interesting Article about Safety when Cruising Restarts

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I think the Zaandam is still a HAL ship 😉. they are on the list and their problems got enough media coverage, sadly.

Yes including two deaths though it was never clear, at least to me, if the were CV related our some other cause.

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

The most viable option may be a requirement that the ship return to its point of origin for that cruise, and all aboard are removed to proper quarantine facilities shoreside for 14 days.

Like anything else, there are a thousand details to be worked out, but it would relieve ports of call, and passengers,  of the fear of another Diamond Princess fiasco.

But we have seen in this recent pandemic where ports, including ports of origination have turned away ships.  Why would they suddenly accept them and where is and who is paying for the quarantine facilities?

i know I am refuting several thoughts/suggestions but to me it highlights the impossible task facing the cruise lines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Viking Ocean is our line of choice.  Good to see that its ships don't appear on the list.

I don’t think you can take comfort from that.  To some extent it was luck, or bad luck.  It was a function of being in a port like Hong Kong just as things got bad. I don’t think those ships that avoided this had any kind of magic bullet.  I wish they did so they could share it.  

7 hours ago, KirkNC said:

If people wait until there is a 100% certainty of no virus and/or no potential quarantine then the industry is dead.  Not even a vaccine can accomplish that.

Thank you for this most insightful post!

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

But one out of several thousand passengers would not in my lay opinion qualify as an outbreak of anything.

Relative to a status quo ante of zero cases, the occurrence of one case might indeed qualify as an outbreak.  That's why the W.H.O. defines an outbreak as the occurrence of disease cases "in excess of normal expectancy."

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

I don’t think you can take comfort from that.  To some extent it was luck, or bad luck.  It was a function of being in a port like Hong Kong just as things got bad. I don’t think those ships that avoided this had any kind of magic bullet.  I wish they did so they could share it.  

There's an old saying:  "You make your own luck."

8 hours ago, KirkNC said:

But one out of several thousand passengers would not in my lay opinion qualify as an outbreak of anything.

Yes, one is a very small number. But, I guess if the WHO sets the rules, they can make the number to qualify as anything they want except I guess zero.

8 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Relative to a status quo ante of zero cases, the occurrence of one case might indeed qualify as an outbreak.  That's why the W.H.O. defines an outbreak as the occurrence of disease cases "in excess of normal expectancy."

In that case there are about a million households that would qualify for the list as an outbreak.  Come on, it’ silly, quit defending it.  Just because WHO did it does not make it right.

3 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

In that case there are about a million households that would qualify for the list as an outbreak.  Come on, it’ silly, quit defending it.  Just because WHO did it does not make it right.

It's not silly, it's a specific use common to epidemiology of disease. Just because you use the word casually in a slightly different context doesn't make this use wrong.

From WebMD:  An outbreak is when an illness happens in unexpected high numbers. It may stay in one area or extend more widely. An outbreak can last days or years. Sometimes, experts consider a single case of a contagious disease to be an outbreak. This may be true if it’s an unknown disease, if it’s new to a community, or if it’s been absent from a population for a long time.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2020 at 8:43 PM, kazu said:

I think the Zaandam is still a HAL ship 😉. they are on the list and their problems got enough media coverage, sadly.

Yep it is on the list.  Can I blame it on "old" eyes?😏

9 minutes ago, regnig said:

Yep it is on the list.  Can I blame it on "old" eyes?😏

Of course, we all have them 😉   Easy to miss with the long list.

I was just pointing out that HAL did not escape the list 😉