Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
babs135

More Cruise Ship Hating

Recommended Posts

They’re entirely right about the pollution, and its impact on Southampton. Not sure why you’d call it utter rubbish.

 

I’m as guilty as anyone, but Carnival as a company has an appalling record on pollution, and ignoring pollution laws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do wonder about this, when alongside in port, surely all that is running is the generator to provide light and ventilation to the passenger areas. I suppose the size of generator required depends on the size of the ship and would surely then be of benefit if an electrical hook up could be provided. I am unsure whether to national grid could supply the total power to a big liner in port, as an example QM2 generates a massive 118MW from it's 2 gas turbine and 4 diesel generators.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ovccruiser said:

I do wonder about this, when alongside in port, surely all that is running is the generator to provide light and ventilation to the passenger areas.

Not for the crew, then?

The only thing that is different is that the ship does not need propulsion while it is alongside.

Everything else still has to be fully operational- water to run, toilets to flush, lifts to work, kettles to boil, everything in the galley (fridges,freezers,ovens,grills) still on the go.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

They’re entirely right about the pollution, and its impact on Southampton. Not sure why you’d call it utter rubbish.

 

I’m as guilty as anyone, but Carnival as a company has an appalling record on pollution, and ignoring pollution laws.

 

Since the article is suggesting the ships use shore power, their focus is exhaust gases. From memory the Carnival charges resulted from pollution of the ocean.

 

Southampton is included in an IMO Emissions Control Area (ECA) which requires low sulphur fuel or scrubbers. However, at least as of last year the ECA did not cover all UK ports, so if they have to protest, surely non-ECA ports should be top of the agenda. In non-ECA ports ships use higher sulphur content fuel.

 

Shore power does help to eliminate exhaust gas pollution, but only if the National Grid power is produced by cleaner fuel than the cruise ships are using. Although significantly less, I note UK still uses coal and oil fired power stations.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, nosapphire said:

Not for the crew, then?

The only thing that is different is that the ship does not need propulsion while it is alongside.

Everything else still has to be fully operational- water to run, toilets to flush, lifts to work, kettles to boil, everything in the galley (fridges,freezers,ovens,grills) still on the go.

 

 

Nice of you to take what I said totally out of context and yes, not for the passenger on board either , apologies for not listing everything😞

Edited by ovccruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ovccruiser said:

Nice of you to take what I said totally out of context and yes, not for the passenger on board either , apologies for not listing everything😞

Sorry - not intentional.

I read it as if you had said the only things that would need power while the ship was in port would be lighting and ventilation.

I immediately thought of Chef's reaction to discovering that the kitchens had powered down (I need a picture of an cleaver being brandished), and answered with that in mind. So my apologies for that.

And yes, like you, I do wonder what would happen if shore side had to power all those ships while in port - (now I have visions of the lights going off across Hampshire).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of no particular consequence, but we discussed recently in another thread whether Iona could provide domestic  power for the whole of Southampton.

 

It seemed likely that it could, crazy though that might seem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...