Silversea newbie - Couple of questions

Captain Noodles

48 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Judging by your cruise photos previously, that statement is incontestable! 

Well just not  sure on that one !!! Not ever been on same cruise as us (lol) this is my husband on casual night!!! He always wears a tie & Jacket minimum ...yes we love to dress  and he always takes his DJ !!

For dinner !!! ( I know daveywavey70 I've posted this on other thread) 

IMG_20191007_194530-2.jpg

Thank you to all those who have posted on this thread, most informative and helpful. Like the OP we are MSC Yacht Club fans, and have also sailed Crystal and Azamara (not luxury, rather premium) as well as all the mass cruise lines. Post COVID-19 we are looking to the luxury end of cruising and considering Silversea and (whispering this) Seabourn. 

With 47 cruises, across 15 different cruiselines, we are now ready to upgrade our experience.....and MSC Yacht Club gives that, and still the ability to join the throng in the rest of the packed ship when you want that. The two 'S' lines and Crystal give much more space, packed ships are over for us certainly in the foreseeable, and the space that the luxury ships provide will be a huge attraction to us going forward!

Edited by hamrag

We first cruised with Silversea, a cruise we will never forget. We have cruised with them since then but not for a while. We then moved to Seabourn, we actually like to dress up for dinner, the dress code on Seabourn is nothing like Silversea, very lax in my opinion.

Typically we booked a cruise for this September with SS and it got cancelled.

5 hours ago, Lvshack said:

...yes we love to dress  and he always takes his DJ !!

What port was this pic taken in?  The buildings appear to be right outside the ship.  And, if I didn’t know better, it looks like a younger Manfredi dining at the table behind your husband, on first glance. 🙂

10 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

What port was this pic taken in?  The buildings appear to be right outside the ship.  And, if I didn’t know better, it looks like a younger Manfredi dining at the table behind your husband, on first glance. 🙂

It was taken on our last evening  docked overnight in Monte Carlo ( Venetian sailing sept 2019 celebrating silversea 25th anniversary) and yes eagle eye stumblefoot it is manfredi sat behind!!! He did invite us to join him but we wanted to dine alone( just kidding )!!!!🚢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To come back to my question about the entertainment on the Cloud. We are looking at the world cruise. It would be extremely boring to have just experts on board for the length of the world cruise. After all, the itinerary is not comparable to a true expedition with zodiac outings. Silver Spectre's experience from Fort Lauderdale to Lima does not bode well.

Can any body chime in?

On 8/17/2020 at 12:41 PM, Stumblefoot said:

No formal nights on SS's expedition fleet, so you needn't worry.

If this minority thing is true, then we're right there with you in the group.  We love them!

However, when making Vespers, I don't buy into Mr. Bond's "shaken, never stirred" silliness. 🙂

We freeze our vodka to avoid diluting it with ice.  Sadly there is no freezer near the bar on SS.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fudge said:
13 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Let me count the whys ...

Sorry  Jolly, we’ll always disagree on this. My work is in my hotel and I dress very conservatively for work. On the rare reprieve that I have (usually spent on SS) I do like to push the boat out a bit. I Always like matching my shoes and shirts/jackets. I also relish the opportunity to stride out. I’m sure that if I lived in the Caribbean, like yourself, my mindset would be much more aligned with yours but as my life stands, I enjoy every opportunity I get to dress up.

10 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I’m sure that if I lived in the Caribbean, like yourself, 

Oh no no no, Daveywavey, we are not in the Caribbean.

We are a thousand miles north.

Distinctly different.

You are doing something akin to referring to the UK as 'England'.

PS I was merely alluding to the fact that, while you may like dressing up, and no reason why you shouldn't, there are so many other 'whys' why others might go cruising. Without dressing up.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Lvshack, we’ll have to have a blazer contest! 

Bring it on daveywavey70 !!! Oh the Brits v the Welsh !!!

It's going to end in tears 😭 !! Maybe someday will be cruiseing together 🚢

6 hours ago, Lvshack said:

Bring it on daveywavey70 !!! Oh the Brits v the Welsh !!!

It's going to end in tears 😭 !! Maybe someday will be cruiseing together 🚢

Haha, I was actually born on the Wirral! I Certainly hope so, it would be so lovely to meet you. 

5 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Haha, I was actually born on the Wirral! I Certainly hope so, it would be so lovely to meet you. 

Oh I'm sorry daveywavey70!!!! I got your problem now with a geographical  faux Pas!

Yes It would nice someday !! Who knows??

Maybe you and my husband could wear some flashy Bermuda shorts!! My brother would be a  good contender for that one!!!  Here's to cruising sometime soon be it causal or dress up 🚢

6 hours ago, jollyjones said:

OK, we're not Caribbean but we do love bright colours - I have to admit Daveywavey, that you might enjoy Bermuda's business attire:

tabs-bermuda-shorts-formal.jpg?itok=1uZl

Some good candidates there for the Carnival ships knobbly knees poolside contest!!

17 minutes ago, brimary said:

Great photo.....Could become the dress code for formal nights on RC when they finally impose their traditions on the newly acquired SS.

To be quite honest with you brimary you mention RC but they look better dressed then I see most people on silversea look ... 🤔

• Like 1

Well I'm the one who first mentioned the Bermuda shorts topic !!! & I have been passed over each time one some one has replied on the topic!!!

No answer from brimary !!! So I have today decided that the silversea board is a very closed club!!! And I'm no longer want to contribute to any more threads !!! 

11 hours ago, Lvshack said:

So I have today decided that the silversea board is a very closed club!!!

11 hours ago, Lvshack said:

Not so or is this a spoof.  The SS board is anything but a closed club.  They even let me post, although i sort of got thrown overboard once but that was awhile ago.  And there are some legitimate characters here.  As far as the Bermuda shorts go I love them.  Last time I was in Bermuda, I bought a pair at an ancient store called Triminghams.  I love Bermuda too, my wife and I honeymooned at Cambridge Beaches and it was on our list of places to go before the plague arrived.  Cheers