Venice

dalliowner

8 hours ago, dalliowner said:

I notice Royal Caribbean have cancelled Venice for 2021 and moved to another port in Italy. I wonder if Seabourn will follow . It make sense  as Venice is being  spoilt by Cruise ships.

It's not the cruise ships that spoil the Venice experience, it's the human detritus that are on the ships, who are unfortunately allowed to get off.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Like 2

It is the cruise ships,especially the huge ones,which are physically 'spoiling' Venice.   If you arrive on a flight, and spot them from the taxi or coach on the way into town (you can hardly miss them!) they loom way above the buildings, and what they do to the waterway on the way in nowadays is horrible.

Years ago, when on a small ship you could dock at San Basilio, it did not seem so horrendous, and of course the sail in or out was divine.  We were lucky to have had those moments, but I think they have gone, not to return.  No doubt the city authorities have made lots of money from the docks, but the people of Venice must be completely fed up with the fact that all those hundreds, indeed thousands, of passengers descending on the city mostly do not spend anything ashore.

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

the people of Venice must be completely fed up with the fact that all those hundreds, indeed thousands, of passengers descending on the city mostly do not spend anything ashore.

This is true, and even more appalling, is that these pieces of detritus consider it a success, and are proud of their achievements.

I  truly understand the stress that Venice is enduring both from Mother Nature as well as from tourism.  But, to visit Italy and not being able to visit Venice....  What a shame that would be!

Couldn't another port, maybe Trieste, be used for cruise ships with tours to Venice?  (I am unsure how close Trieste and Venice are to each other.)

Venice to Trieste is normally done by Train, I do not think there is a commercial boat trip available. the train time is just over 2 hours and trains run regularly, it is a popular route. For some odd reason the fares are very low on Italian trains.

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I  truly understand the stress that Venice is enduring both from Mother Nature as well as from tourism.  But, to visit Italy and not being able to visit Venice....  What a shame that would be!

Couldn't another port, maybe Trieste, be used for cruise ships with tours to Venice?  (I am unsure how close Trieste and Venice are to each other.)

This suggestion is so simple and brilliant, it will have legs with discerning cruisers, as it opens up so many possibilities.  For example, Venice can become an extended overnight stay tour option, for shows, theatre, opera, music and dining etc.  

Thought: Hotels at say three price points, prebooking your chosen hotel, event/s and chosen treansport on CP. 

Possible Method: Coach or Driver to hotel, check in, afternoon free time, event/s, breakfast, free time, lunch at your special place, then back to ship, arriving late afternoon.

• Like 1

Many years ago we were on a Seabourn cruise that ended in Venice.  We stayed on for a few days and took a day trip to Trieste by train.  Easy, relaxing journey.  We explored Trieste a bit and had a fabulous lunch (better than any of the meals we had in Venice itself).  An overnight trip as described above would be good for people who have not been to or love Venice, while others could explore Trieste and surrounds.

• Like 2