Tipping

jcool

Let me give you an example from Jewel.

I drink Diet Coke, or Pepsi Max, of course they carry neither of those, so it becomes Diet Pepsi, first day my wife gets me one and asks him to leave it in the can. Most of you know they aren’t supposed to give you the full can, but pour it into a cup full of ice using about half the can. This is c=because a can is much easier to drink from, or more to the pet not spill from, while bouncing around in a wheelchair. Than was lunch day 1.

Dinner day 1 same bar tender, Mr want Diet Pepsi, hands over the can. On day two one of his supervisors chats him over hanging Mrs Gut the full can, so I cut in and explain that we had specifically requested it to avoid spills. I later mention to the F&B manager how much I appreciate this small indulgence. Later I see F&B manager talking to him and pointing at me, after that we are even given unopened cans, making it easier still to carry it while also gathering food.

No daily tips, no tip per drink, nothing but being nice and stepping up when he was being spoken to about obliging our request.

last day he did get a nice little reward, but he had no idea if I, as an Aussie was likely to tip additional or not.

an interesting aside was after that the F&B manager would often stop for a chat, service from all crew seemed to up a notch after that started.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, adam_s_allen said:

Servers are part of the DSC.

Bar servers and bartenders are not included as part of the DSC. That is split between waiters and assistant waiters in the complementary main dining rooms, as well as the room stewards. The automatic gratuity added to your drink check goes into a tip pool and split between bar servers and bartenders. 

On 6/28/2020 at 2:01 PM, seaman11 said:

especially at the busy bars like the clubs  and pool.  i get great service tipping a buck or two. 

for the others-   when i said ignored i didnt mean they wont serve you at all ,i just mean you will be served after an extra tipper. 

So,  basically you approve of extortion.

8 hours ago, Embeazy1357 said:

Bar servers and bartenders are not included as part of the DSC. That is split between waiters and assistant waiters in the complementary main dining rooms, as well as the room stewards. The automatic gratuity added to your drink check goes into a tip pool and split between bar servers and bartenders. 

But, I assume, that if you have the drink package, they get their tips from that. And, if that is so, there is no reason to add a bigger tip on the 18% already added in the drink package.

11 minutes ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

But, I assume, that if you have the drink package, they get their tips from that. And, if that is so, there is no reason to add a bigger tip on the 18% already added in the drink package.

Correct, however that automatic gratuity is a tip pool, split between ALL bartenders and bar servers on the ship. So if there’s a bartender you particularly enjoy And get great service from and find yourself going to over others, why not toss a few bucks their way throughout the cruise or at the end of the cruise? Or, nominate them for vacation hero. Something. These are people who literally devote their lives to making people’s vacations memorable. If they do that for you, why not recognize it? 

Tipping has always been a sore spot for me. I understand the concept, and many in my family have had jobs in the past where a portion of the salary was from tipping - myself included. I believe that companies should pay their workers enough that their salary is not dependent on people paying an extra % on top of the bill. I know that is not the currently the case and I understand that the price of many things would go up, but we are already paying the extra in tips so it should just be included in the first place. I also have major issues with "resort fees." If these charges are mandatory they should be included in the advertised price. The downside of this - companies may just keep the extra charge and not pass it on to the employees. If someone goes above and beyond I will give them an additional tip.

Having said that, when I'm starting to get back out and about - (mask and all, and not very often) - I am tipping a higher % than usual to support those who have had sporadic/no income for the past several months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vswan said:

I also have major issues with "resort fees." If these charges are mandatory they should be included in the advertised price.

They do this primarily because they get to keep 100% of the resort fee revenue, they don't have to pay third party commissions travel agents or booking sites.  Many sources out there that hotels often have to pay 15%-30% in commissions.  Also, big sites can buy a block of rooms at a deep discount and only sell them to customers as a bundled deal.

Pretty sure at the bars, we're now going to see a tip jar (or perhaps a recessed bucket with a slot), that way, staff don't touch the cash at any point and they can sanitize the whole bucket of money at one time.  Even if there's a vaccine, it won't be 100% and this is a great opportunity to reduce touch points.