Magic Port side

kutty77

I have kind of a stupid question. Does anyone know if when the ship docks is the port side always facing the port or does it depend on how the ship is "parked"?  My son really wants to see the port as we pull in.  Thank you in advance 

There is no way to know that. There are variables such as dock availability and whether the ship "pulls in" bow first or "backs in" stern first (not sure of the actual terminology, perhaps @chengkp75 can chime in on the actual terms).

Look at pictures of Nassau and Cozumel and you can see what I mean.  Even at homeports like Miami, you cannot say for sure which side you will be on.  

Edited by stobe1

I can tell you when I was on the magic last year it was port side in Fort Lauderdale, Cozumel, and Amber Cove. Star side in Grand Turk. I don’t know if they do it that way consistently or not. I remember in New Orleans they always parked ships one way, then they randomly started doing it the other way.

• Like 1

I am Diamond on Carnival and can tell you about the ports I have visited.  Overall, we have found that the port side of the ship has better views when we dock and we only book port side staterooms if we book a balcony.  If we don't book a balcony stateroom, we just go to an open deck when we are approaching the port and for departure.  We have sailed western, eastern, and southern itineraries.

When you approach the port in San Juan, you will pass on the port side the Castillo San Felipe del Morro fortification in Old San Juan ....quite a sight to see.  Belize and Grand Cayman are tender ports so you will have good views from any deck on the ship.  Grand Turk, depends if you are the first or second ship in.

As other posters have mentioned, there are different configurations every time you pull into a port that affects your view.

• Like 1

Best way to view the port while docking is to secure a position on one of the outside decks, forward if going straight in, aft if the ship backs in.

It depends on the tides, winds, available docking space, etc.  I've been on ships that attempted to dock one way, couldn't, then turned around 180 degrees and docked the other way.

You might be facing port side in one port but not in another.  The chance of a port side cabin facing the port when docking at every port is pretty much nonexistent.  If seeing the port when docking is important, up on an upper open deck is the best place.

21 hours ago, kutty77 said:

I have kind of a stupid question. Does anyone know if when the ship docks is the port side always facing the port or does it depend on how the ship is "parked"?  My son really wants to see the port as we pull in.  Thank you in advance 

Walk out on deck. You can see the port as the ship pulls in no matter which side it's on.

We are west coast cruisers and the ships have docked port and starboard side in both Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta and at Cabo they anchor and tender into the port.  Best I can tell it is random based on factors at the moment.  The same was true when CCL used to go to Acapulco.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 6:27 PM, kutty77 said:

Thanks I figured that as much but was looking forward to using the balcony for that. 

You may consider getting a room near the front of the ship near the secret decks so if you dock on the other side it will be easy for you to just walk out of your room and to the other side of the secret deck.