Must have Insurance thru NCL to use FCC

visconti4

Here is our story:  

Our April 2020 TA was cancelled - we got 125% FCC (we had not yet purchased any kind of insurance from anyone)

We booked another TA for April 2021 - used most of our FCC - no problem - Same room, same perks 

still had a $3,000 FCC - just used it for a short Mexican cruise in December (hope we get to go !) - no problems at all (we use on-line discount Travel Agent)

Never told we HAD to have insurance 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Unfortunately, I think the future cruise passenger will have to jump through many different hoops when cruising resumes. 

Hoops like:

• proof of insurance
  • proof of vaccination (should one be available)
  • proof of being fit to travel
  • proof of permanent residence  (to show you don't reside in a hot spot)
  • proof of...whatever else is deemed necessary by travel authorities

For some, those hoops won't be worth it.  For others, such hoops will be welcome as it means they can sail again.  They will have adapted by having a folder saved on their computer where they can easily upload said proof as part of the pre-boarding check in process.

Sadly--yes...the "new norm"....

• Like 2

On 7/4/2020 at 5:53 AM, rebeccac said:

But, if you could prove you had third party insurance, would they remove their own version?

NCL wouldn't care if somebody took third party insurance.  There would be no revenue associated with that.

I'm still waiting for somebody to confirm that they received the notice that they must buy NCL insurance if they use FCC, AND, they did not purchase NCL insurance for the cruise that was cancelled.  Anybody?

10 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

NCL wouldn't care if somebody took third party insurance.  There would be no revenue associated with that.

I'm still waiting for somebody to confirm that they received the notice that they must buy NCL insurance if they use FCC, AND, they did not purchase NCL insurance for the cruise that was cancelled.  Anybody?

An above poster,  just called and got it removed -  with no problem.     

2 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

An above poster,  just called and got it removed -  with no problem.     

I would certainly call, but why should customers need to do that?  The letter from NCL states:  Please be advised that your credit can only be used if you have travel protection added to your reservation.  Many customers would say: "Oh well, that's the rules, I guess I have to pay it".  

• Like 1

I had my may 3 cruise cancelled.  I received the fcc the following way:

1 amount for the price of the cruise with any extras I had purchased

1 amount for the extra 25%

1 amount for the travel insurance I had purchased.

i booked another cruise and used the fcc for the deposit and some extras ( excursions and special dining).

i also took travel insurance for the new cruise. I was told they could only apply the refund on the travel insurance to a purchase of travel insurance for the new cruise.  I think that is where the confusion comes in. If you don’t want insurance on a new cruise you will lose the amount that was refunded for the old insurance.  Good luck everyone. 

Someone else pointed this out but it got overlooked.... If you have the insurance - they give you credit of that amount for insurance on your next cruise. Then once you are all rebooked - and before final payment - remove it.  But I would not sail without even if from 3rd party vendor.  And it may have something to do with the way they're processing refunds that they need the insurance claim - who knows...  And yes, I agree NCL nickles you to death.  Also - I haven't seen people notice that the dinner upgrade now is for only 2 dinner versus 3 dinners like it was before Covid.  So really we're each losing 1 dinner incentive.

4 hours ago, arpie05 said:

Also - I haven't seen people notice that the dinner upgrade now is for only 2 dinner versus 3 dinners like it was before Covid. 

There was a thread about the reduced number of dinners included with the FAS perk, but it's been buried under all the refund threads..

• Thanks 1