The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

So, to resume:

We celebrated OLoPP's birthday at the Inn at Little Washington.

I said I'd post photos as soon as I figured out how to interweave text with the photos, and if anyone wanted to explain, feel free.

To which I received exactly zero replies.

But some kind souls on the test forum came to the rescue.

(Disclaimer, these snaps have none of BWIVince's artistry.)

However: our view from a kitchen table at the Inn:

InnKitchen.jpg.65e3202b945f306742563dd2240790b1.jpg

And our first amuse bouche (egg, maple syrup, something, something:)

And yes, those are other bites in the background, including a carton of black truffle and parmesan dusted pop corn. Chef calls it dinner and a show.

InnAmuseBouch.jpg.c2aa4b7ff594905241b0dd9c21c4102b.jpg 

More to follow...

Edited by KenzSailing
typos
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

So, to resume:

We celebrated OLoPP's birthday at the Inn at Little Washington.

I said I'd post photos as soon as I figured out how to interweave text with the photos, and if anyone wanted to explain, feel free.

To which I received exactly zero replies.

But some kind souls on the test forum came to the rescue.

(Disclaimer, these snaps have none of BWIVince's artistry.)

However: our view from a kitchen table at the Inn:

InnKitchen.jpg.65e3202b945f306742563dd2240790b1.jpg

And our first amuse bouche (egg, maple syrup, something, something:)

And yes, those are other bites in the background, including a carton of black truffle and parmesan dusted pop corn. Chef calls it dinner and a show.

InnAmuseBouch.jpg.c2aa4b7ff594905241b0dd9c21c4102b.jpg 

More to follow...

Mmmmmm, they evidently love to serve things nobody else does!

The flowers are gorgeous, and remind me of Crystal, in the Cove, on the coffee table at seating area in front of the hotel desk.

Could you see enough of what the chefs were doing to keep you happy?

OLoPP's big birthday bash at the Inn:  (Almost)The Main Event (here are the naughty bits you crave)

Prelude: the chalice.  This is how the Inn serves water at the KT (Chef leans a little heavily on the "Pope of American cuisine" thing:)

InnChalice.jpg.6c513c96bb890d7af60b6ec6f6aabdba.jpg

Must have weighed 3/4 lbs.  Henry VIII would have been right at home. Also, more goodies.  Notice the bee hive shaped butter, a form that would be continued thru the night.

First main: "Vitello-Tonato"

Chilled pan-seared Ahi tuna and braised tenderloin of Veal with Cognac cured foie gras, Nicoise olives, and tuna puree 

InnCourse1.jpg.9c963a228a79b546a1beb4fcef2cc99a.jpg

Next up:  Carpaccio of herb crusted Elysian Fields baby lamb loin with Caesar Salad ice cream

InnCourse2-2.jpg.feb5a43f2a659db3945e3749b9447ba0.jpg

A digression: due to OLoPP's shellfish allergy, our next courses diverged.  First up, for the birthday girl, Chanterelle and Parmesan agnolotti with Jidori egg yolk confit and toasted hazelnuts

InnCourse3L.jpg.ea1a45635a7ae766c8c2fd93b10fca04.jpg

Pour moi: a Chartreuse of Savoy cabbage and Maine Lobster with caviar buerre blanc

InnCourse3K-1.jpg.3ec0884a2fff8f2cd0ace71e18e1234a.jpg

Notes from the editor: 1) I'm no Vince, my poor photos are murdering this rapturous food.  2) This last course was my favorite of the evening, but Annie Leibovitz couldn't make it look glamorous.  It was basically an XL lobster quenelle wrapped in an ultra thin layer of cabbage (always a sure way to my of eastern European descent heart.)  I told our server "it's like eating a cloud of lobster."

Whew.  I'm full.  More to follow.

InnCourse1-2.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, May B said:

Mmmmmm, they evidently love to serve things nobody else does!

The flowers are gorgeous, and remind me of Crystal, in the Cove, on the coffee table at seating area in front of the hotel desk.

Could you see enough of what the chefs were doing to keep you happy?

Hi May!

You posted while I was laboring over the next installment.  Yep, we were on top of the action (even got a quick up-close-and-personal post show tour, this poor cook was over the moon.) 

Relatedly, I gotta get me a combi-steam oven.  Of course, that means a bigger kitchen, which means a bigger house....

(At ease, chef, at ease...)

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

OLoPP's big birthday bash at the Inn:  (Almost)The Main Event (here are the naughty bits you crave)

Prelude: the chalice.  This is how the Inn serves water at the KT (Chef leans a little heavily on the "Pope of American cuisine" thing:)

Must have weighed 3/4 lbs.  Henry VIII would have been right at home. Also, more goodies.  Notice the bee hive shaped butter, a form that would be continued thru the night.

Chilled pan-seared Ahi tuna and braised tenderloin of Veal with Cognac cured foie gras, Nicoise olives, and tuna puree 

Next up:  Carpaccio of herb crusted Elysian Fields baby lamb loin with Caesar Salad ice cream

A digression: due to OLoPP's shellfish allergy, our next courses diverged.  First up, for the birthday girl, Chanterelle and Parmesan agnolotti with Jidori egg yolk confit and toasted hazelnuts

Pour moi: a Chartreuse of Savoy cabbage and Maine Lobster with caviar buerre blanc

Notes from the editor: 1) I'm no Vince, my poor photos are murdering this rapturous food.  2) This last course was my favorite of the evening, but Annie Leibovitz couldn't make it look glamorous.  It was basically an XL lobster quenelle wrapped in an ultra thin layer of cabbage (always a sure way to my of eastern European descent heart.)  I told our server "it's like eating a cloud of lobster."

InnCourse1-2.jpg

That last photo was an oops.  You know the stories about the eight year old whose legs got long enough to reach the pedals on the family car and took off to visit grandma?  That's me posting photos here.

At least no one got hurt.  

13 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

That last photo was an oops.  You know the stories about the eight year old whose legs got long enough to reach the pedals on the family car and took off to visit grandma?  That's me posting photos here.

At least no one got hurt.  

Better to see a good one twice than not at all.

There were quite a few words in your post that I cannot define! But I got the idea, loud and clear. The tuna and veal thing probably would’ve been my favorite.

I am also Eastern European, didn’t realize that’s why I like cabbage so much. None of my grandparents ever tasted lobster, though!

This dinner looks so outstanding, and you got exactly the experience with the chef that makes the table in the kitchen so very special!

OLoPP enjoyed, I’ll presume.

17 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

InnCourse1-2.jpg

Don't you dare deprecate or disparage those pics -- they're awesome!  I just upload mine in bigger resolution -- they're certainly no better than yours.  What incredible courses -- they certainly live up to everything I've ever heard about the Inn.  

Lifting those water goblets helps you to burn off each course and make room for the next.  😉 

I'm sorry I missed your question about interweaving photos!  I haven't been online much the past few weeks and I'm not doing great about reading and absorbing everything.  There is a lot I've missed, even on messages I've "read".  😞 You nailed posting them though.  I usually just link to the photos stored elsewhere, so I just click "insert image from URL" wherever I want the pic.  

I'm _STARVING_ now.  I'll make sure I have more food on-hand for the future pics.

Vince

• Like 3