The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

49 minutes ago, ctjon said:

My parents were cruisers and had done Harmony and got us started.  They also did an "unofficial" crossing on Symphony to the US where it was officially christened  and then started official cruises.  Don't know if they do that type of trip anymore but I would think it would be a great way to check out systems and get crew better to serve on new ship.

They are indeed a regular industry thing, and most lines including Crystal did them, at least pre-Covid.  They're usually called "shakedown cruises".  They're not usually marketed to the general public because that undermines the purpose of getting the glitches worked out before the public is aware, but they usually sail with some blend of employees, family, friends, PR, and industry professionals at either FAM rates or as invited guests.

If a ship is done early enough, and can get the shakedown cruises out of the way, some lines have also added discounted pre-inaugural cruises so they can start making actual money on the ship faster, with consideration still given to passengers for the ship not being "official" yet.  This doesn't happen often anymore, as precise as project management is these days, but I can think of a few cases over the years.

Vince

• Like 1

Today's sunrise really is today.  It's been a pretty cloudy day but this is the first time I really saw the sun on my morning walk in a parking garage in my local mall.

IMG_0093.JPG.f726dbd76f04b1194b73a7b782b25d27.JPG

@BWIVince with some trepidation I made my weekly visit to Wegmans.  I usually do it Saturday but they'll be closed.  The parking garage was busy and I had about a 30-second wait for a self service register but it wasn't too bad after all.

Roy

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise really is today.  It's been a pretty cloudy day but this is the first time I really saw the sun on my morning walk in a parking garage in my local mall.

IMG_0093.JPG.f726dbd76f04b1194b73a7b782b25d27.JPG

@BWIVince with some trepidation I made my weekly visit to Wegmans.  I usually do it Saturday but they'll be closed.  The parking garage was busy and I had about a 30-second wait for a self service register but it wasn't too bad after all.

Roy

Headed off to Balducci's as soon as I got up this AM.  Connecticut Ave and the beltway about as quiet as you'll find them, congratulating myself on the early start.  Heart sank when I pulled into the parking lot just before 9, and it was almost full.  But things proceeded apace and I made my way thru the store both incident and frustration free.

The Christmas Eve menu: sous vide veal chops in tarragon cream sauce, roasted new potatoes, simply steamed asparagus.

Who's hungry?

• Like 5

I don't have a photo for December 25 so here's another from yesterday's walk..  It was taken earlier from a different location.  I'm pretty sure the sun was actually up and hiding but it gave some nice color to the morning clouds.

IMG_0088.JPG

Roy

• Like 4

I have never been on a ship between December 22 and December 28,  Today's sunrise really is today, taken on my morning walk and grocery run.  This was taken as the sun came above the store next to my neighborhood grocery.

IMG_0097.JPG.3859f54ff4b1ab204fe3e52d6f0adad7.JPG

Roy

• Like 4

On 12/25/2021 at 11:32 AM, rafinmd said:

I don't have a photo for December 25 so here's another from yesterday's walk..  It was taken earlier from a different location.  I'm pretty sure the sun was actually up and hiding but it gave some nice color to the morning clouds.

IMG_0088.JPG

Roy

Roy, I inadvertently got the counterpart photos to your Christmas sunrise, flying into BWI yesterday at sunset.  Opposite time of day, opposite surrounding corner of the airport, but the same sky.  The South River (top) and Severn (bottom) with Annapolis in the distance.

311CFDB5-FFA6-4919-AEE9-35BDF2B3ADD9.thumb.jpeg.1de08fe88c45ce9a99994ec2118831e4.jpeg

ACDA5BAF-1D20-44BB-A1C1-F0303C48B876.thumb.jpeg.6ea609c7a1845b2f640a771db2df9e16.jpeg

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
  • Like 8

On 12/24/2021 at 4:05 PM, KenzSailing said:

The Christmas Eve menu: sous vide veal chops in tarragon cream sauce, roasted new potatoes, simply steamed asparagus.

Who's hungry?

Just a heads up — you forgot the link to your Goldbelly page in the post!  😁   I know both Beav and I literally have our credit cards in our hands right now.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Captain Otto was always a good sport about participating in various shows and other activities when we sailed with him on World Cruise 2007.  I fully understand why some Captains wouldn't change into other attire but it did make it fun to see what the Captain would be wearing.

I don't have a photo of it but at one of the shows there is the Captain on stage dancing with someone in a dress and sure enough his dance Partner was Cruise Director Gary Hunter.  It took some a little time to realize it was Gary.  Gary put on the attire on another World Cruise for one of the shows.  As they say, the show must go on.

The Captain with his peg leg when we visited the four senior officers rooms.  How he did this for several hours is beyond me.

IMG_20211226_0002.thumb.jpeg.513cd3e9ae353b811331dc79a4b6ba78.jpeg

Did someone say Waffles On The Bridge?  

IMG_20211226_0005.thumb.jpeg.5ad9d1a06a787c87f5578b4881164ac6.jpeg

We had three shoreside events and this was in Athens.

IMG_20211226_0003.thumb.jpeg.df40e634b31db18b5240b98198785baf.jpeg

At the Athens Shoreside Event Anne Marie and I got into the spirit.  No we weren't in the My Big Greek Fat Wedding.  And this wasn't after I had been drinking.  

IMG_20211226_0004.thumb.jpeg.a20c2df24d2426a7299037271127d09b.jpeg

Our first World Cruise and I remember it as if it was yesterday.  Ummm. That would make for a great song title don' you think.  LOL.

Keith

• Like 5

Here at the Chez, I've set tomorrow's alarm for six AM to get up and throw a beautiful two-bone standing rib roast into the "hot tub" set to 134F. Vince and Roy, dinner's at seven.  You too Beav, Patty and May, although air crew shortages may prove a challenge. 

In any event, here's to 2022.  Gotta be better, right?  Right?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Here at the Chez, I've set tomorrow's alarm for six AM to get up and throw a beautiful two-bone standing rib roast into the "hot tub" set to 134F. Vince and Roy, dinner's at seven.  You too Beav, Patty and May, although air crew shortages may prove a challenge. 

I’ll take the red-eye tonight to allow sufficient time for flight screw-ups and still make The Chez by 7:00. 

I always did love getting invites to “hot tub” parties! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Oh my, Ms KM, you're on the list too. 

Also, OLoPP wants all stragglers to know they are invited to her mid-day brisket extravaganza on NYD.  We're serving the flat, not the point, so don't be too picky.

No problem Mr. K, as enticing as your menus are I am still thinking that I have have to forego eating at the Chez until the new kitchen wing with "no gluten here ever" is opened. Also in a week I am still planning a 2 week reservation  at my choice of cuisines on Symphony!

I do think the brisket Extravaganza sounds delicious so please keep us posted and share pictures of it all...

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Oh my, Ms KM, you're on the list too. 

Also, OLoPP wants all stragglers to know they are invited to her mid-day brisket extravaganza on NYD.  We're serving the flat, not the point, so don't be too picky.

Fantastic. 

I take my room service coffee black w/stevia (two packets) at precisely 6:52am Jan 1. 

I’ve cancelled my room at Motel 6 and told Tom Bodette he doesn’t have to leave the light on. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

So no invite for "Moi".  I don't have COVID-19 and I would take a shower and put deodorant on.  Feelings are very hurt.  🥰

• Haha 5

Before we know it we will be ringing in the new year.  We have rung in the New Year three times sailing with Crystal Cruises.  Always special those holiday cruises so a few photos from two of three times we welcomed a new year while at sea.

P1080077.jpeg.ea44cfe8bc2767f5ce9d3a0bac26ba4b.jpeg

P1080080.jpeg.da66ea4ad4974ae7a6b56c1e6215ab3f.jpeg

IMG_2090.thumb.jpeg.d2784a9202fe83024b0b4a5af6f0e73f.jpeg

IMG_2091.thumb.jpeg.97c6b2179f138b8c951c02aa4f45fa5a.jpeg

IMG_2112.thumb.jpeg.d90a43c4608b5f62caa55d39835871fe.jpeg

DSC00944.thumb.jpeg.1268a881e91ccc43baf498a6f8401fa1.jpeg

Happy New Years

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 4

My New Years Eve photo is from my 1999-2000 New Years trip on the Sierra Madre Express train to Mexico's Copper Canyon (Sadly, the railroad went under in 2009).  Since this is pre-digital and no metadata I'm not really sure if this is a sunrise or sunset or even the exact date but it's at least very close to New Years Eve.

img8013.JPG.566bb4104de7b410bb6618fe5d42e9b1.JPG

Roy

• Like 4