The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

9 hours ago, hubbards said:

don’t bother trying that website, it’s broken (already)

Nope.  I ordered them.  My family did a few hours later and I just went back and its up.

Now the challenge is two-fold.  Will kits really go out and (A BIG AND) will the post office deliver them on time or will it take months for them to delivery them.  🤮

• Like 3

I know this is the fun thread, but I have a SERIOUS request for once.  Especially this morning, we seem to have thrown out two big pieces of posting etiquette that really make it hard to converse on the board.

First, this is the minor offense -- can we please try to only start a new thread for new developments with the bankruptcy, and not for every single link on the exact same subject that someone finds?  The fewer parallel threads on the exact same subject, the easier it will be for us all to read, follow, and discuss everyone's thoughts.  It's ok to start new threads sometimes, but we literally have a couple dozen of them on the same subject now and it's chaotic.

Second, is my biggest frustration -- can we please try to leave threads for discussion on their intended subjects and not turn them into a press room of links to completely unrelated subjects?  If it's relevant to the subject that's one thing, but we're literally posting links to bankruptcy-related news articles in the middle of people's live reports and other unrelated subjects.  🤦‍♂️ Sure, bankruptcy may be a point of discussion there, but linking to random unrelated articles is disruptive and squeezing out the original subject.

Everyone knows I'm all for topic drift, but hijacking threads with random links is a whole different thing.

Thank you everyone for being considerate to each other.

Vince

• Like 9

It feels almost sacrilegious to post a happy photo today but I will anyway.  Today's sunrise is from my 2017 cruise on Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore.  On January 20 we visited the private island of Coco Cay:

dawn0120.jpg

Roy

• Like 6

Well, apropos of nothing, I had a magnificent 16 lbs rib eye roast delivered to my door today.  I'm going to cut it down to steaks (Fred Flintstone size) and vacuum seal those babies.  That reminds me, this was our NYE main course:

thumbnail_IMG_0165.jpg.7bce07466183daace74d318462472be6.jpg

Hey, I'm taking my happy thoughts where I can get them. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

One more sunrise from my 2017 Grandeur of the Seas cruise. January 21 was a sea day from the Bahamas back home to Baltimore.

dawn0121.jpg

This will be typical of my cruising for the next few months, although the Baltimore ship is now Enchantment of the Seas.  Not ideal but it seems right for now, a combination of soon to expire cruise credits and the ease of being within driving distance to the ports.  I am booked on Enchantment for February 17 which will be almost exactly 23 months since I last disembarked a cruise ship.

Roy

• Like 5

15 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Well, apropos of nothing, I had a magnificent 16 lbs rib eye roast delivered to my door today.  I'm going to cut it down to steaks (Fred Flintstone size) and vacuum seal those babies.  That reminds me, this was our NYE main course:

Ribeye is an excellent choice for those of us dealing with grief, and it is gluten and dairy free. Keep up the good work.

Of course "We'll always have The Bistro" or "Paris" or "Chez Kenz" or...??

• Like 8

fun memory. This is from January, 2011 on the cruise before the start of World Cruise 2011. We attended Across The Pond for the very first time. Being a big Beatles fan and being a big Fan of the Crystal Singers and Dancers and the Showband (back then the Orchestra) we sang to the songs that evening which did include Beatles. We enjoyed this show on many more cruises starting with World Cruise 2011.

P1050630.jpg.fb48b14ef0e640a9ec92b64bdc207e78.jpg

P1050627.jpg.3c41d8661c30bb1fae2969ad627549c7.jpg

Keith

• Like 4

I am not making the following up.

I am on the email list of the Weber grill company.  Today, I received the following email which I find side-splittingly funny (I am a bad person):

Dear ,

This morning you received our weekly "Recipe of the Week" email, which is sent to you every Friday.

In today's email we highlighted a grilled meatloaf recipe. At the time we shared this recipe with you, we were not aware of the unfortunate passing of American singer and actor Mr. Marvin Lee Aday, also known as Meat Loaf.

We want to express our deepest apologies for this oversight and for any offense this email may have caused.

We send our condolences to Mr. Aday's family and fans.

Thank you for understanding.

The Weber Family

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

On 1/20/2022 at 5:41 PM, KenzSailing said:

I have to say your roast is cooked perfectly! I have gone to slow roasting (using a reverse sear recipe) and love that it is the same color pink through out the roast - top to bottom. I can't stand when there is brown on the edges of the meat (cooked at a higher temp through out). Looks like perfect crisp crust. Yum! I made a prime rib for New Years this year. 

Just admiring your roast!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

I for one am very appreciative of all the low-post-count posters who are generously sharing their expertise in arcane corporate financial matters and maritime law with us.  Very helpful.

I took a couple of days off, and I'm just skimming through the board right now in amazement.  Lots of people expressing their opinions, which is always great, and lots of helpful posts...  But also more just plain false posts by people that seem brand new to the forum and have rarely posted before on CC than I can ever remember seeing in all my years as a member.

I'm too tired to even argue, at this point I'm just trying to be helpful where I can...

Vince

• Like 8

My travels from one year ago today, January 24, 2021. I headed to Hawaii on a very socially-distanced and empty United 777. At the time, Hawaii had the lowest rate of Covid infections in the US. 

80187471-EE53-4580-B017-DFC1FDD5C6C4.jpeg

75F37120-94C6-4238-8702-E36AA5FB67C9.jpeg

Edited by BEAV
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, BEAV said:

My travels from one year ago today, January 24, 2021. I headed to Hawaii on a very socially-distanced and empty United 777. At the time, Hawaii had the lowest rate of Covid infections in the US. 

80187471-EE53-4580-B017-DFC1FDD5C6C4.jpeg

75F37120-94C6-4238-8702-E36AA5FB67C9.jpeg

Great reminder.  We are on a positive trajectory.  It's slower and longer than we'd like, but the slope is a positive number. And there are still oceans, and there will be ships plying them.  Keep on keeping on.

• Like 3

Brian, your timing going to Hawaii was perfect.  Low Covid rates and quiet airport and flight.

A few weeks before we took our July 3 Serenity restart cruise our son warned us that the  airports would be crazy and he was right.  They were mobbed.

I think I am going to start following your lead when it comes to making travel plans.  😀

Keith

• Like 1

Ladies & Gentlemen:

I have a theory which I wanted to run by you since you are all are very wise.  Not old, but wise.

Doesn't the past 23+ months seem nuts.

Before then who knew much if anything about COVID-19 which some originally thought was a Corona Beer in disguise?

Before then how many of you would wear a mask in public and if you did it was once a year on Halloween?

Before then how many of you washed your hands?  Oops.  I better leave that alone before I offend anyone.

Before then in the early months of COVID how many of you might come home from grocery shopping and before you entered your house (hopefully in the garage) you stripped naked for fear of bringing virus germs into your home?  

So I am thinking we are in the Twilight Zone.  

Think about it.  Aliens from another Universe invaded Earth in early 2020 and started messing with our heads.  They sent messages each evening while we were sleeping (well at least to those of you who sleep) and have programmed all of us to believe we are in a Pandemic and to make our lives so depressing Planet Earth will surrender ourselves to these Aliens who will be showing themselves shortly as our savior and the only ones who can rid Planet Earth and Mankind (well Peoplekind) of COVID.

I yearn to be awakened so we can get back to what we love doing best and that is arguing who is right and complaining about things.  We love that.  It is normalcy.

This would include:

When is the new ship going to be built? 

Which is better Symphony or Serenity?

How come the fares are too pricey?

Why are the itineraries so boring? (By the way if you think boring try taking 10 back to back cruises of Bermuda or the Bahamas) and trust me nothing will be boring after that)

Why are their specialty restaurant fees?  Why?  Tell me why?  Regent doesn't do that.

Why can't I get unlimited caviar?

Why haven't the rooms been updated?

Why isn't there bottled water at the pier when I get off the ship?  

Why can't Marketplace stay opened later when I get back from my tours?  The heck with the crew needing a rest. They are family.  Family needs no rest.

Why don't the Maitre d' enforce evening attire at Black Tie Optional nights?

Why is the internet too slow?

Where is that darn pillow chocolate?  

Why was Tastes replaced with Silk?

Why do they charge so much for shore excursions?

Where is my shore excursion? My cruise leaves in two weeks and I can't book it.

Why hasn't the entertainment/enrichment guide been updated?

Should I see an onboard sales consultant to book a cruise on board?

Should they send luggage tags and cruise documents home as they always have in a holder?

Where are those trash can doilies?

Why are there so many two person tables in Waterside and not enough large tables?  Same goes for Marketplace.

Why doesn't Crystal enforce not reserving of seats and chair hogs by the pool?

Why, Why, Why, Why, Why and Why, Why and Why?????????????

Why are the same lectures brought back over an over?

Why is there too little entertainment on my cruise?

Why is Waterside closed on some selected days for lunch particularly on a pot day in the Mediterranean.  

Why is the coffee so bad?  

I so miss the fun we all have had over these years.  This was normalcy.  This made our days.  Each off s was always right or is that two wrongs don't make a right so maybe we were all wrong.

I so miss all of this Don't you.

So I am thinking this has al been a dream. Well a nightmare.

So how do we break this. Well we could stay up all day and night.  NOT.  I do this now and it hasn't worked.

Oh we could all put on Cheerleader outfits.  Ummm Let's pass on that.

Oh how about Rose Colored Glasses. Trust me I tried and they don't work.

Well, I so yearn for normalcy. I would sooner argue but know our Crystal Cruises sailing is happening then not be debating all of these items.

So cheers to hoping this is all a bad dream or that the aliens have invaded.

Unknown-1.jpeg.53e70403e4d3bd4ee5a8ec16bcc91ce4.jpeg

Unknown-2.jpeg.096b6ecedecb459e8daf6f694b6410b6.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg.3eec2a7b70ded5a31a853a17145ab10b.jpeg

Keith

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Why is Waterside closed on some selected days for lunch particularly on a pot day in the Mediterranean.  

I'd say that one is asked and answered!! Sometimes your typos are too good!!

Thanks, Keith!!

Patty

Well Patty.....I think I must have had that on my mind. to have written that post.  LOL  🤗    

• Haha 4