Internet when cruising resumes.

pathi

Has anyone noticed the chapter 11 bankruptcy filing for Speedcast International? This is a company that provides internet access at sea. Ships, Oil rigs etc. I wonder how this will affect our access to the Internet once we start sailing again.

What sort of "bankruptcy'? Reorganization doesn't mean going out of business. Sure it is folding up the company? Oil rigs haven't shut down....so not sure why their business isn't there. Yes, oil prices are low...but the oil business is always all over the place.

There are other venders. Speedcast is far from the only vendor...this could lead to consolidation in the field...downtowns in the economy frequently do. Consolidation sometimes leads to increased pricing, but internet is  so common, and so expected, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about increased pricing.

Nobody is going to have any sort of "official answer". Its all speculation, like so many other issues with cruising now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting.   I never thought about all the supporting industries now that there are no cruises.   Probably won’t be the last company pushed into bankruptcy or reorganization. We can only hope the next generation, starlink, or whatever, is a faster service.  And, hope that those who own stocks in these companies are watching the market.