New to Princess - please help

Nicole&Pete

3 hours ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Thanks for your help,

One last question on this. Do you know if in order for the soda package to work you have to have a soda cup that you carry around with you or can you get a new cup each time? And I guess with the medallion and the app you can just get the drink delivered to wherever you are?

thanks very much

In the past they gave you a large cup with lid that you could carry with you but I usually just let them bring me a drink. And with the Medallion app like you said you just order & they bring you a drink. I’ve not been on a Medallion Cruise so perhaps others can report as to them finding you with your ordered drink. 

Tom😀

You may get a cup, but it's not required that you have it to get a soda. If you have the medallion app loaded on your device and if you carry the device around, you can order using the app. It has been reported that service may be slow and the server may have difficulty locating the person ordering. This is because when their are multiple people around your area the server has to compare the photo on their screen with your face or may have to ask around. On our February medallion cruise we found it just easier to wave down a waiter and ask for what you want. It's also very quick if you visit the bar. Also when you order in person you can easily inform that you wish to have a large glass, especially in the pool areas where they have various sizes. Bars in other areas usually only have one size. One other thing of interest. Beverages are not normally served with straws. You have to request one. Straws are paper. 

15 hours ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Thanks for your help,

One last question on this. Do you know if in order for the soda package to work you have to have a soda cup that you carry around with you or can you get a new cup each time? And I guess with the medallion and the app you can just get the drink delivered to wherever you are?

thanks very much

No need for you to carry a cup.

In fact, with Covid-19, when cruising resumes they might not allow a passenger to provide a cup.

21 hours ago, skynight said:

You may get a cup, but it's not required that you have it to get a soda. If you have the medallion app loaded on your device and if you carry the device around, you can order using the app. It has been reported that service may be slow and the server may have difficulty locating the person ordering. This is because when their are multiple people around your area the server has to compare the photo on their screen with your face or may have to ask around. On our February medallion cruise we found it just easier to wave down a waiter and ask for what you want. It's also very quick if you visit the bar. Also when you order in person you can easily inform that you wish to have a large glass, especially in the pool areas where they have various sizes. Bars in other areas usually only have one size. One other thing of interest. Beverages are not normally served with straws. You have to request one. Straws are paper. 

Thanks very much for the information.

Yes I do like a straw, so that’s a really good tip!

I do not like the paper straws.  When Princess switched to them, I brought a couple dozen plastic straws with me on my next cruise.  There was a long discussion on this Board about disposable vs reusable straws, and some people posted links to metal straws that came with little carrying cases, ...  That was before the Wuhan virus, and the implications of reusable straws.  

I never carried around the plastic soda glass that they gave away as part of the soda package.  Not needed, and I see no reason to carry around one more thing (in addition to my own personal straw!!).

Unless I am sitting at a table for a meal, I prefer to grab a soda at a bar -- much faster and more convenient.  And the bartenders tend to get to know you pretty quickly.