22 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Way back in the 1980’s I was fortunate enough to sit with a merchant seaman who had made the Russian run to Murmansk three times!  His stories were hair raising but fascinating at the same time.  It was a miracle he was still alive.  The Murmansk run was the most dangerous for the American merchant seamen.  They never received proper recognition or reward until years later.  

My Father was in the Merchant Marine and was a part of those convoys to Russia.  My parents divorced when I was rather young; never got to know him; never learned of his experiences.  

23 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I suspect that all of us reading this no longer have parents to ask questions of

My Brother and I "heard" much family history as we were growing up as well as when we were adults.  A huge percentage "went in one ear and out the other".  

I have had a genealogical study done which proved quite interesting.  No "Jack the Rippers", etc., which I initially feared might be found.  The most interesting one related to a maritime story was a 16 year old lad who, along with a friend, was invited to "visit" a sailing ship that was anchored in their Irish port.  They accepted the offer; were shanghaied but escaped when the ship reached Baltimore, Maryland.  He found his way to the state of New York and started a branch of my family.  

On 4/18/2021 at 4:59 PM, Lowiepete said:

On an oil-fired steam ship, the trimmer keeps the fires supplied with fuel. The term is carried over from the coal-fired ships where trimmers had the job of seeing that the coal in the bunkers was properly distributed to keep the vessel on an even keel. (Hence "trimmers") 

Regards,

Steve

Thank you for your reply.  Does such a position exist on the ships today?  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I very much doubt it. With computer-control of everything, including bathwater temperature, moving oil stocks and trimming the ship's ballast will probably be a breeze, even though the ship could be being tossed by heavy seas. It's not like the old-days where you couldn't rely upon pendulum clocks. Some engine rooms now operate with fewer than 20 ratings, for 24/7 coverage! 

Regards,

Steve

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Negative, don't even recall them from my days on the steam ships in the 70's. These days, bunkers and ballast are transferred with pushing buttons. Mostly in the Engine Control Room, but also from the Bridge on some ships.

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I have had a genealogical study done which proved quite interesting.  No "Jack the Rippers", etc., which I initially feared might be found.  The most interesting one related to a maritime story was a 16 year old lad who, along with a friend, was invited to "visit" a sailing ship that was anchored in their Irish port.  They accepted the offer; were shanghaied but escaped when the ship reached Baltimore, Maryland.  He found his way to the state of New York and started a branch of my family.  

Interesting, especially to me, as Baltimore has been our most usual port to cruise from for many years. So much history there, and now I have one more.