RCI new muster process - should CCL follow?

Al Aboard

11 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, do you think that this new muster procedure would have produced any different outcome?

No, I think the muster drill in any form or fashion was irrelevant but I do think a drill should include passengers at least visiting where there lifeboat is located because as Concordia proved, things don’t always go as they are drawn up on paper.

27 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

No, I think the muster drill in any form or fashion was irrelevant but I do think a drill should include passengers at least visiting where there lifeboat is located because as Concordia proved, things don’t always go as they are drawn up on paper.

But, again, muster is not about the lifeboat.  There are many more instances where passengers were mustered, remained at muster perhaps for hours, and then returned to normal activities, than there have been where they have been required to get into lifeboats.  From the muster station, there will be crew to direct passengers to the boats, nearly in a continuous line.  Knowing where your boat is located is a good thing, but I believe it tends to confuse passengers who think that muster means lifeboat, and would proceed to the boat regardless of where the muster station is.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 3

On 7/28/2020 at 3:09 PM, Al Aboard said:

I read this article on CC a few days back:   https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5482/

I liked the new process.  It is patented but any cruise line can license the method for free.  Curious how many feel this would be a better procedure and if CCL should license it.  Apparently NCL already has. 

It sounds good.  I hope HAL adopts it!

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

But, again, muster is not about the lifeboat.  There are many more instances where passengers were mustered, remained at muster perhaps for hours, and then returned to normal activities, than there have been where they have been required to get into lifeboats.  From the muster station, there will be crew to direct passengers to the boats, nearly in a continuous line.  Knowing where your boat is located is a good thing, but I believe it tends to confuse passengers who think that muster means lifeboat, and would proceed to the boat regardless of where the muster station is.

I do think you made a very valid point there. I think most passengers think that muster is only for the most dire emergency when one would have to abandon ship and use the lifeboats.

Maybe we should all think of the Star Princess fire. Fire as I understand it is about the most feared thing for experienced seamen, yet there was never a call to use the lifeboats.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I do think you made a very valid point there. I think most passengers think that muster is only for the most dire emergency when one would have to abandon ship and use the lifeboats.

Maybe we should all think of the Star Princess fire. Fire as I understand it is about the most feared thing for experienced seamen, yet there was never a call to use the lifeboats.

If you take the behind the scenes tour, usually somewhere on I-95 will be the "Station Bill", which shows all the crew positions, and what their emergency duties are, where emergency equipment is located, and such information.  Typically a poster about 4 feet high and 8 feet long.  Also on this, it will list the signals for the various emergencies.  The signal that passengers relate to their muster, and "abandoning ship", is actually the signal for "Fire and General Emergency", where the crew go to their emergency stations to deal with the fire, flooding, pollution, whatever emergency it is.  Passengers muster to "get them out of the way", and to account for them.  There is never a signal for passengers to get into the boats, that will just be an announcement on the PA for the crew to start loading the boats.  The signal for "Abandon ship" is only given when the passengers are evacuated, and the emergency is totally out of control, and signals for the crew to leave their emergency stations and proceed to their evacuation stations.  Since these are generally interspersed with the passenger lifeboats, trying to get everyone to abandon ship at once would lead to chaos.

• Like 3

I like this concept, especially as I have a hard time (back) with standing still for any length of time, I keep moving, even if its only a few feet each way to prevent the pain from become quite intense. I always try to get to muster drill early so I can stand in the back and lean on the bulkhead, as that helps a bunch.