Transatlantic Crossing Demographics

Reggiefan

I am curious as to what the passenger demographics have been in the past on the Queen Mary 2 transatlantic crossings. As far as age, nationality, and the number of solo passengers, have you noticed any differences on the winter (and especially the Christmas season) crossings as opposed to crossings at other times of the year? One would guess that on the summer crossings the passenger demographics would be younger and more solo travelers; and that on the winter crossings in general, and the Christmas-time crossings in particular, there would be fewer solo passengers and the average age would be somewhat older. Am I off the mark?

My guess average age on QM2 winter crossing is about 75-80.   Just a guess.  Seems that way to me.  Lots of round trippers too from either New York or Southampton.  Christmas time lately has been a trip from New York down to Caribbean and back.  That's a wonderful trip as the ship goes all out for Xmas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pberk said:

My guess average age on QM2 winter crossing is about 75-80.   Just a guess.  Seems that way to me.  Lots of round trippers too from either New York or Southampton.  Christmas time lately has been a trip from New York down to Caribbean and back.  That's a wonderful trip as the ship goes all out for Xmas. 

We were on the 2019 Christmas/New Years cruise to the Caribbean. There were many (I would say dozens) of children - and there were possibly dozens of 80 year olds — probably the “average” was 50-60.

We’ve done a number of late summer/early fall T/A’s on QM2 - fewer children so average was probably around 60-65.

In about 10 crossings, at various times of the year, I can honestly say that I've never noticed any great difference in demographics, apart from one autumn occasion when there were over 300 under 18's aboard, which included a lot of NATO families returning to the US and Canada.

All ages seem to travel all the time, with some just using the ship as a means of transport to avoid flying.

One aspect does stand outs and that is the formality which is probably the highest at sea.

Stewart

2 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

In about 10 crossings, at various times of the year, I can honestly say that I've never noticed any great difference in demographics, apart from one autumn occasion when there were over 300 under 18's aboard, which included a lot of NATO families returning to the US and Canada.

All ages seem to travel all the time, with some just using the ship as a means of transport to avoid flying.

One aspect does stand outs and that is the formality which is probably the highest at sea.

Stewart

I first time hear that military families avoid travelling by plane. What is the reason behind travelling by ship? I mean unless its a nicely equipped cruise which can accommodate these families and where they can enjoy their stay and no pay a penny for it - then I agree. I would avoid flying too

2 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I first time hear that military families avoid travelling by plane. What is the reason behind travelling by ship? I mean unless its a nicely equipped cruise which can accommodate these families and where they can enjoy their stay and no pay a penny for it - then I agree. I would avoid flying too

Luggage allowance?

Most were senior officers and their families. Seems they had a choice of transportation and they made the right choice! There was also some civilian NATO contractors aboard.

Very colourful on formal nights with many in Mess Dress, but all Britannia. None in QG.

Used to be large groups of "Amish" on board in the Summer travelling back and forth to Germany, though did not see them last year.  And yes bonnets, collarless shirts and string ties were allowed as formal wear in the Britannia.  They seemed to hang out in the buffet and ladies were always washing endless reams of clothes in the laundrematte.

6 minutes ago, resistk said:

Used to be large groups of "Amish" on board in the Summer travelling back and forth to Germany, though did not see them last year.  And yes bonnets, collarless shirts and string ties were allowed as formal wear in the Britannia.  They seemed to hang out in the buffet and ladies were always washing endless reams of clothes in the laundrematte.

Yes. I had completely forgotten about the Amish people. I was told at the time (4 years ago) that they always ate in the buffet because they didn't want anyone serving them.

The men played cards in the Kings Court all day (not for money) and the women sunbathed wearing hats, long dresses, gloves and boots.

I always wondered why they chose that particular time in history to stop the clock.

Many thanks to those who have the time to respond. What I am reading is that the demographics don't change much depending on the season. And I am specifically interested in the T/A crossings rather than other Cunard cruises.

Normally, one thinks the clientele on summer cruises is somewhat younger because many still employed can take time off only in the summer. But my sense is that because a high percentage of those on T/A crossings are no longer working or are semi-retired, most passengers are 60s and older. 

Finally, does there seem to be any difference in the number of solo travelers on the Winter crossings (November, December, and January)?

1 hour ago, Reggiefan said:

Finally, does there seem to be any difference in the number of solo travelers on the Winter crossings (November, December, and January)?

Not being single, I can't give you an accurate answer, but my experience is to say that at all times of year, I've met many singles, so there's probably not much difference. I did note on a November crossing from the UK, that there was a lot of females in groups going Xmas shopping.

Just go and find out for yourself! I'm sure you won't regret it.

Hi, 

I have done six Cunard transatlantic crossings. Most of my crossings were in the spring, but I did a crossing in November a few years ago. I honestly didn't notice much difference in the age of passengers. I usually travel solo on the crossings and always have a wonderful time. In my experience, it is very easy to meet passengers on Cunard ships. I greatly enjoy discussing ships and travel.

Chuck

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Yes. I had completely forgotten about the Amish people. I was told at the time (4 years ago) that they always ate in the buffet because they didn't want anyone serving them.

The men played cards in the Kings Court all day (not for money) and the women sunbathed wearing hats, long dresses, gloves and boots.

I always wondered why they chose that particular time in history to stop the clock.

I was next to large group of in the Britannia one year, so they did not have trouble with being served dinner at all.  But they all went to the buffet for deserts and cards afterwards. I have also seen them at the theatre enjoying the show.  Another year "they" were bringing  a large group of young ladies back and forth to Europe.  Also when they debarked they had vans waiting not horses.  No telling though if it was the same group or another, Amish is obviously a generic term.

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Technically, the Amish have not "stopped the clock." They do not necessarily reject all technological advances, for example virtually all of their carriages have electric lights for safety and visibility. They do wait to adopt any technology, seeing how an advance changes the lives of the outsiders who adopt it, then decide - usually on a local basis - whether it presents a threat to their preferred way of existence. Many technological advances in safety, hospital stays when necessary as an example, are adopted. Many others, television for example, are not.

So, maybe the Amish have "paused the clock," with a few allowances here and there for things that actually do improve their quality of life, under their own definition and terms.

Now back to the discussion of demographics...

• Like 4

Agree. In fact we have done 7 Transatlantic crossings on QM 2 covering all seasons and we are in our 50s and defiantly spring chickens !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the subject of the average age of passengers on QM2, here is what Cunard says in item 2 on their page 10 things to know before travelling on Queen Mary 2.

2. It's not full of "old people"

Belay the blue rinse brigade: the average age aboard Queen Mary 2 isn’t anywhere near 80. In fact, it recently dropped from 59 to 55, and there are plenty of twenty- and thirty-somethings balancing the demographic on each voyage. (Often located in G32 - the nightclub at the ship’s stern). Well if it’s good enough for Jay-Z and Beyoncé…

Now of course that could just be Cunard marketing hype, but an analysis of a 2018 CLIA report that I can't link to here because that analysis is found on a UK travel agent website states the average age of Cunard passengers (across all ships and all voyages) is 60.5.

Count me in with those who think the average age of passengers on QM2 crossings is significantly lower than 75-80.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 5:11 PM, bluemarble said:

Count me in with those who think the average age of passengers on QM2 crossings is significantly lower than 75-80.

The numbers are a bit slippery, if you have a 100 infants and toddlers on board that will bring down the average age quite  a bit.  Cunard is also one of the few, if only lines that has a nursery or at least used to.

On 7/29/2020 at 11:29 AM, BigMac1953 said:

It was not so much a particular time - more just one pre-existing the modern MECHANICAL age - where along with adoption of modern equipment such as gasoline and electric powered devices there came a change in notions of modesty. 

If you are younger, don’t be put off! 

I’m my early thirties. I travelled on the 100th anniversary crossing in Nov 2019. There was a group of us ranging from early twenties to early forties and we had a great time onboard. The group includes British, American, Australian, German and Swiss.