Research time!

tlm48

We have a Alaska cruise booked for may 2021

So far we are investigating 

Ketchikan- fishing with Baranof

Juneau  - helicopter with dog sledding  with northstar or coastal

Skagway - jeep rental 

Seward - boat tour to kenai Fjords national park with major marine 

Probably the train from Seward to Anchorage to get our flight home. NCL is doing to flights and transfers.

How did I do ? 

Is there something I'm missing?

It's sounds like you did great if those are the things you want to do. It's a nice mix of activities. Have you heard of Murray's Guide? I found it a great buy when we rented a car to drive in Skagway. Search for Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway. For some reason, I can't post the link here. It's $5.95 for the PDF.

Have you planned what you'll do in Juneau the rest of the time? Depending on when your helicopter and dog sled excursion is, you should have time to do something else, even if it's just walking through the downtown area and eating some good food. Or you could take the tram to the top of Mt. Roberts and hike around there. It's something you don't have to book in advance.

Edited by geoherb
  • Like 1

If you have booked flights and transfers with NCL,  you will be wasting the transfer to Anchorage,  as it will leave in the morning.        IF you take the train,   Seward to Anchorage.   on your own,   it will have to be a 1am flight or later.        You may want to rethink your flight booking ideas.    Otherwise,   Park Connection could be a transit option,  via bus,   for a slightly earlier departure.    But Anc  needs at least a 2 hour window at the airport prior to flight time.    

I'm just making a couple comments,    the Jeep rentals are a lot more money than a car,  and don't offer you anything additional.  you will not be allowed any off road.  Of course people enjoy driving them.      And as long as fishing and not "catching"  is ok with you,   May isn't the best time for catching.    🙂    

Fishing in May in Ketchikan - ask the vendor what their success rate is. I have never met anyone who has had success with fishing in May there. Maybe catching something isn't important but if it is, check with them.

King salmon fishing is decent in May for trolling in the ocean.  In fact, the Ketchikan king salmon derby usually starts around mid-May.  On the other hand, the king numbers have been way down the last few years, with catch and release only regulations in place.

4 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

King salmon fishing is decent in May for trolling in the ocean.  In fact, the Ketchikan king salmon derby usually starts around mid-May.  On the other hand, the king numbers have been way down the last few years, with catch and release only regulations in place.

I just know I usually go in May and every time I have been on a cruise, I have spoken with people who have spent $400+ on fishing excursions and not one has caught anything (not even catch and release). They have been super disappointed.

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I just know I usually go in May and every time I have been on a cruise, I have spoken with people who have spent $400+ on fishing excursions and not one has caught anything (not even catch and release). They have been super disappointed.

This has been my experience as well.   Including 3 cruises to Ketchikan last May.   

Reason,  why I mention "fishing" rather than "catching".   🙂       (which is fine for some)    Problem is the naive assumption,  in Alaska,  you have salmon every time,  you drop a line.    The other "surprise" people get shocked with are processing and shipping costs of the catch.      

On 8/4/2020 at 7:46 AM, geoherb said:

It's sounds like you did great if those are the things you want to do. It's a nice mix of activities. Have you heard of Murray's Guide? I found it a great buy when we rented a car to drive in Skagway. Search for Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway. For some reason, I can't post the link here. It's $5.95 for the PDF.

Have you planned what you'll do in Juneau the rest of the time? Depending on when your helicopter and dog sled excursion is, you should have time to do something else, even if it's just walking through the downtown area and eating some good food. Or you could take the tram to the top of Mt. Roberts and hike around there. It's something you don't have to book in advance.

Found the Murray guide, there is one for Skagway and the south klondike looking forward to checking these out! Thanks for sharing. Yes in Juneau we will have lots of time only 3 hours for the helicopter/dog sled tour we will explore for sure not big hikers though.

On 8/6/2020 at 12:11 PM, Budget Queen said:

If you have booked flights and transfers with NCL,  you will be wasting the transfer to Anchorage,  as it will leave in the morning.        IF you take the train,   Seward to Anchorage.   on your own,   it will have to be a 1am flight or later.        You may want to rethink your flight booking ideas.    Otherwise,   Park Connection could be a transit option,  via bus,   for a slightly earlier departure.    But Anc  needs at least a 2 hour window at the airport prior to flight time.    

I'm just making a couple comments,    the Jeep rentals are a lot more money than a car,  and don't offer you anything additional.  you will not be allowed any off road.  Of course people enjoy driving them.      And as long as fishing and not "catching"  is ok with you,   May isn't the best time for catching.    🙂    

We could skip the NCL transfer altogether as I have a flight leaving 2 days after we get off the ship. Spend a day in each Seward and Anchorage probably. The fishing comments has spouse very worried though

2 hours ago, tlm48 said:

We could skip the NCL transfer altogether as I have a flight leaving 2 days after we get off the ship. Spend a day in each Seward and Anchorage probably. The fishing comments has spouse very worried though

You need to continue with your planning.  Earlier you mentioned the Seward/Anchorage train and a Kenai Fjords boat tour.   You would have to “skip”  any NCL transfer.    As I’ve already mentioned- that is only for the ship arrival day and leaves in the morning.    

Sorry the fishing isn’t going to improve for May.  I simply can not recall of any success of a cruise ship passenger in May?     IF fishing is a priority-   Change your date.