New Total CruiseFlex plan leaves my sailings vulnerable

Até

I've been waiting for MSC to update or extend the Cruise Assurance program that currently only covers cruises to October 31, 2020.   People with November bookings are already in final payment and I have to think MSC is getting cancellations partly due to no protection.  Extending the Assurance plan seems to be a needed move.  Instead MSC came out with the Total CruiseFlex program that only covers bookings made from August 5th onward and covers all sailings out to December 31, 2021.  That leaves anyone who has bookings made before August 5th without any ability to cancel after final payment and get a FCC.  I have four bookings that are not covered and therefore they will be more susceptible to me cancelling before final payment.  Anyone heard if MSC plans on extending the Cruise Assurance dates to protect those of us who booked before August 5th?

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/cruise-itinerary-changes-and-cancellations/cruise-assurance-program

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/total-cruiseflex

25 minutes ago, Geobugs said:

Applicable on all cruises departing November 1, 2020 - December 31, 2021.

I read that your cruises and mine are covered.

I read the terms and it says you must be able to answer yes to both the booking time frame and the sailing time frame.  The booking time frame starts Aug 5th 2020.  

1 hour ago, KyleClark said:

I guess I should just cancel and rebook?

My sailings' YC prices increased since when I booked so that is not a reasonable option for me.  If prices had dropped, or even remained the same, I would definitely cancel and re-book. 

Edited by Até
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, camofwilliamsburg said:

IF the cruise line cancels you will get a fcc or refund.

The whole point of the Cruise Assurance and Total CruiseFlex plans is if the ships do sail.  Their purpose is to give people who are making final payment an option to move their booking, via a FCC, if they are concerned about what these first sailing conditions are like.  It's very likely MSC will be sending out ships under conditions that are unacceptable to certain people, either because of personal risk factors or just personal preferences, like not wanting to wear a mask on a vacation or they don't like COVID necessary last minute itinerary changes.  With so much unpredictability allowing this flexibility seems a necessary feature to encourage people to make final payment when the short term product is so uncertain.

36 minutes ago, KyleClark said:

Here's the thing.  If your booked for Dec 31st and want to cancel you can 48 hours beforehand. According to the language you have until 12/31/21 to use it!  

Cruise Assurance only covers sailings to October 31, 2020.  Under Total CruiseFlex this option is only true if you booked after August 5th, 2020.  US sailings are now off until November so anyone who booked before August 5th has no flexibility after final payment.  The only people still under Cruise Assurance are the European sailings until the end of October, but even the European sailings from November onward will be locked in unless they were booked after August 5th.

Edited by Até

Only July 7, I booked my December 12, 2020 cruise.  I paid in full at the time, using Chase Sapphire Reserve points.  CSR told me that I had until September 10, 2020 to cancel without a penalty.  She also said that once I cancel, it would be 60 days before I would get the refund.  So if I cancel on September 10, then it would November 10th before I could rebook a cruise.

I am very impressed at the changes MSC has done to insure safer cruising.   While onboard they are using UV-C lights which kill 99.97% of all microbes! There will be no re-circulation between staterooms or within the entire ship.  They will have 100% external fresh air supplied to all areas.  The buffet will not be self serve...food will be plated and served to guests at their tables. Bar menus and other menus will be accessed through mobile device or  scan code.  They will be taking reservations for all shows and maybe we will not get a different show each night due to allowing everyone time to see the shows. All crew will be wearing PPE, such as masks and gloves.    It does not mention passengers having to wear masks.

• 3 weeks later...

NCL just extended their "Piece of Mind" protection to cruises through March 31st.  I suspect they were getting cancellations before final payment as these sail dates get closer.  Hopefully MSC will follow suit and offer some flexibility for customers worried about making final payment by extending the Cruise Assurance plan for bookings made before August 5th.  Currently MSC's Cruise Assurance only covers sailings to October 31st while people with late November, and late December for YC, sailings are required to make final payment with no flexibility.

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/book-with-confidence?fbclid=IwAR3kXLKsKSmxQfZiSXr5FlxjvnSMcfIPI2uN7pGNXbVIHCM6qmiIro1pSTg

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/cruise-itinerary-changes-and-cancellations/cruise-assurance-program

ETA:  I should have stated US YC bookings are not required to make final payment at 120 days, but will lose their deposit if not cancelled by then.

Edited by Até

My situation is very confusing because I think we fall under both the Cruise Assurance and Total CruiseFlex but not sure, so if anyone knows, please feel free. 

We had a Meraviglia YC booked (11/2019) for Oct 2020.  When it was canceled we chose to take the offer they gave at the time for deposits only.  It was for an FCC of 25% of cruise fare plus 100% of our deposit which must be used by Dec 31, 21.  We had to rebook using the same confirmation number through the TA in order to apply the FCC to a new cruise which I did for Nov 13, 2021.  I think this falls under Cruise Assurance.

When MSC had the last promotion of Voyage Select of 5%+5% plus $100 pp, I booked directly with MSC on 8/17/2020 for the cruise right after on 11/21/2021. Technically not a b2b but have same room on both cruises.  I was told about the CruiseFlex when I booked so that's covered, but what happens if we or MSC decides to cancel the first cruise, what happens to the FCC from that?  Do they extend it since it expires 12/31/21? Can I move it to another cruise?

The first cruise is an 8 day from Saturday to Sunday and the only one I see so just feeling they might cancel or change it. Any thoughts?

On 8/8/2020 at 5:39 PM, camofwilliamsburg said:

IF the cruise line cancels you will get a fcc or refund.

Usually you are offered one or another. I just read in one of the threads that these FCC credits have expiration date.. In the current conditions, I would rather take the money. Its a much safer options which gives you options to choose how to spend it.. and not to rely on a cruise that might get cancelled

32 minutes ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

My situation is very confusing because I think we fall under both the Cruise Assurance and Total CruiseFlex but not sure, so if anyone knows, please feel free.

The second cruise booked August 17th falls under Total CruiseFlex. 

The first part of your B2B depends on your "booking date".  It cannot fall under Cruise Assurance since it sails after October 31st, 2020.  Whether it falls under Total CruiseFlex depends on when MSC considers the booking date.  I see a potential problem with MSC using the old booking numbers if they don't update the booking date.  If you used the FCC to book it before August 5th then you have no additional cancellation flexibility.  If you used the FCC to book it after August 5th then I would argue it also falls under Total CruiseFlex, but you may want to confirm this with MSC.

Edited by Até

36 minutes ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

... but what happens if we or MSC decides to cancel the first cruise, what happens to the FCC from that?  Do they extend it since it expires 12/31/21? Can I move it to another cruise

Hopefully cruising will return to normal by then.  I've been following a few similar scenarios on other cruise line threads.  One thread on NCL involves a FCC given for a cancelled February 2020 cruise and had a one year expiration date.  The person used it to book an October 2020 cruise, but that was recently cancelled.  The person then tried to book a March 20221 cruise with the FCC but NCL is holding fast that the certificate must be used by the February expiration date.  I can see both side's arguments: FCCs have expiration dates and are not the same as cash.  What if NCL doesn't have any sailings by February?

I'm most likely going to lose an airline voucher that expired in June, but I was able to get extended to December.  A little different since the airline is currently flying, but I don't expect them to keep extending it.

Original cruise was 10/22/20 and canceled on June 2 by MSC.  

Asked MSC to send me new confirmation and on page 1 it has booking date 11/14/19 under booking details on left side but on right side at the top it says “booking confirmation issued on 7/07/20”. Sail dates are correct. Go figure🤔

TA paperwork say 7/10/20. 

I think you’re right about the booking dates though. All I stand to lose is $396 but the amount of FCC ($1950.00) was too much to pass up.

🤞🏻🤞🏻I don’t have to worry about it. Thanks 😉

6 minutes ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

Asked MSC to send me new confirmation and on page 1 it has booking date 11/14/19 under booking details on left side but on right side at the top it says “booking confirmation issued on 7/07/20”.

I assume you original booking date was November 14, 2019.  Interesting that MSC is also keeping the original booking date when using a FCC.  The "booking confirmation issued on" date is typical for any time you make any change to an existing booking, e.g. add promo discount, laundry, internet, etc....   Since you re-booked with the FCC on July 7th, 2020 there is no way you will fall under Total CruiseFlex and therefore have no additional cancellation flexibility after your official final payment date. 

It would be good if MSC clarified this point for people using FCC after August 5th, especially if they are officially keeping the old booking dates.

Well, all reference to the Cruise Assurance plan is now gone from the MSC US website.  So I assume it died with the cancellation of cruises through October 31st.  I'm trying to understand why MSC has now left anyone booked before August 5th with no protection if they decide the new cruising conditions do not meet their comfort level.  Once final payment is made it's either sail on the ship no matter what or lose your money.  No option remains to cancel before 48 hours and get a FCC.  This has to be having an effect on people's willingness to make final payment for the November and now December cruises.  YC bookings for January are now being affected.  It's hard for me to believe MSC doesn't care, or maybe there aren't enough bookings left for it to matter to them.  I find both unlikely.  Perhaps people are just not aware, but more likely I think this is a gross oversight that is costing MSC significant cancellations.

Edited by Até
  • Thanks 1

100 days until we sail on MSC.  I still plan to sail.  There is no cancellation without penalty for me in 10 days.  I wish there was more protection.  I called MSC.  Then indicated that if I was denied boarding due to testing positive for covid, then they would refund my money.

38 minutes ago, Geobugs said:

The(y) indicated that if I was denied boarding due to testing positive for covid, then they would refund my money.

I find that highly unlikely, get it in writing.  That was MSC's early policy back in March, but more recently they have stated that getting denied boarding will not be covered by them.  On the Grandiosa sailings they are requiring customers to purchase their, or your own private,  COVID protection policy to cover your losses if you get denied boarding and/or quarantined.

Obviously MSC thinks an assurance plan is important, that's why the have the Total CruiseFlex plan for new bookings that covers sailings all the way out to December 2021.  Those with bookings made before August 5th are evidently out of luck.

Edited by Até

We booked in May 2019 for departure 14 November 2020. We are in the UK, so not Schengen area. Currently the FCO say we cannot fly to Barcelona to join the ship. 

MSC are, so far, ignoring our TAs requests for more information, and they won't speak to me as we booked through a TA.

Although technically past our final payment date our TA is kindly extending the date until we get clarity from MSC. 

In the interim, though, we're in limbo. If we aren't going, we would book a land based vacation instead, just to get a break. We can't do that until we know what's happening with the cruise.

2 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

Currently the FCO say we cannot fly to Barcelona to join the ship.

A good example of a situation where having the flexibility is needed, both the cruising product and government travel restrictions create tremendous uncertainty.  I know in UK you will lose significant deposit money if you cancel so I can understand why you have been trying to negotiate with MSC.  I don't know if "cancel for any reason" insurance would suffice, or is even currently available/affordable.  I suppose one valid strategy could be to make the payment and hope for a MSC cancellation if travel restrictions are still in effect.  I'd bet if MSC still had the Cruise Assurance plan you would be more willing to make that final payment since closer to sailing you could take a FCC if your travel is still limited near sailing.  If MSC demands payment with no concession will you gamble more money or cancel and lose the deposit?

If we knew we could "lift and shift" or we knew MSC will cancel we'll happily pay up now and sail sometime in 2021. If WE cancel now it would not only be the deposit we'd lose but (probably) our flight costs. ( The TA arranged the whole package, including flights to Barcelona and back from Dubai. These have now been ticketed. We have also arranged (and prepaid) a hotel in Barcelona (we never fly out on the day of the cruise departure).)

• Thanks 1