Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, sogne said:

an unusual departure from a port frequently visited  extra point for the name of this passage 

abc.JPG

I could be wrong, but I think you've already posted a slightly different photo of this airport earlier in this thread? If I'm right, you also gave us the answer to your second question.

Your last picture was the end of runway 30, this is the end of runway 22L😁

I'll leave the actual names for those who want to work it out.

Edited by Colin_Cameron
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 8:09 AM, sogne said:

an unusual departure from a port frequently visited  extra point for the name of this passage 

abc.JPG

23 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I could be wrong, but I think you've already posted a slightly different photo of this airport earlier in this thread? If I'm right, you also gave us the answer to your second question.

Your last picture was the end of runway 30, this is the end of runway 22L😁

I'll leave the actual names for those who want to work it out.

OK, now that it's been 24 hours for this one, I'll go ahead and concur with @Colin_Cameron's conclusion that this looks like another view of the Copenhagen airport from the Drogden Channel (see post #407 previously identified by @Colin_Cameron).

I wasn't entirely convinced until I was able to match the structure and car park in the foreground to similar features at P17 and P19 Parking located near runway 22L.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 5:02 PM, bluemarble said:

Yes it is. Well done. I guess that wasn't such a devious photo after all.

Apologies, I have recently been there, and it was immediately familiar, including the clue of a pleasure cruiser which I saw coming under the road bridge and into the harbour in similar style.

1 hour ago, Yaldi said:

Apologies, I have recently been there, and it was immediately familiar, including the clue of a pleasure cruiser which I saw coming under the road bridge and into the harbour in similar style.

Absolutely no need for an apology. The best answers here are from those such as you who recognize photos from actual experience rather than spending hours (or days) as I do for most of the photos I manage to identify.

Here is a different view of an already-seen port in our game.  The previous photo posted here was of the city from the Cunard ship.  Here is the ship from the city.  The time of day may make it a challenge to identify.  Mrs sfred and I were staying at a nearby hotel prior to embarking later that day.

image.thumb.png.157e1be69f69847cbba7dd842a0d0840.png

6 hours ago, sfred said:

Here is a different view of an already-seen port in our game.  The previous photo posted here was of the city from the Cunard ship.  Here is the ship from the city.  The time of day may make it a challenge to identify.  Mrs sfred and I were staying at a nearby hotel prior to embarking later that day.

Ah, yes. The ship is QE and I only figured you for having embarked QE in Adelaide, Melbourne and Yokohama from previous posts on this thread. Searches of those ports proved fruitless although Yokohama does have similar cranes so I spent quite a bit of time ruling out Yokohama before your additional hint ruled that out anyway. A post of yours on another thread provides the answer to this one including the name of the nearby hotel. I'll leave it at that for now. 😉

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, sfred said:

With the aid of @bluemarble's additional clues, I shall say Auckland. And the nearby hotel that @sfred stayed in is the Hilton from where this photo was taken on 27 February 2015. @sfred boarded QE the next day for a short 4 night trip back to Sidney. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

A post of yours on another thread provides the answer to this one including the name of the nearby hotel. I'll leave it at that for now. 😉

58 minutes ago, North West Newbie said:

With the aid of @bluemarble's additional clues, I shall say Auckland. And the nearby hotel that @sfred stayed in is the Hilton from where this photo was taken on 27 February 2015. @sfred boarded QE the next day for a short 4 night trip back to Sydney. 

Correct!    It was a very scenic dawn in Auckland harbour, and we had a great room at the Hilton to observe QE's arrival.  I had posted a similar photo in the daily sunrise thread.  That voyage was our first on QE, stopping the next day in the Bay of Islands and then across the Tasman to Sydney.

@bluemarble posted the original Auckland photo back in September 2020, a capture from QE's bridgecam of the city.  @exlondoner quickly identified the port.

5 minutes ago, sfred said:

Correct!    It was a very scenic dawn in Auckland harbour, and we had a great room at the Hilton to observe QE's arrival.  I had posted a similar photo in the daily sunrise thread.  That voyage was our first on QE, stopping the next day in the Bay of Islands and then across the Tasman to Sydney.

@bluemarble posted the original Auckland photo back in September 2020, a capture from QE's bridgecam of the city.  @exlondoner quickly identified the port.

Goodness, that must have been a fluke. I’m hopeless at this game, even when I’ve been to the place, which I haven’t in this case. 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Here's another view of a port we've already seen. Although it may not look like it, there are enough details in this photo for our forensic photo analysts to identify the port.

887142438_WhereintheWorld(108).thumb.jpg.3439a19f0a2c52291a428d2a8ac4bdf5.jpg

The only place I know with a dome next to a cruise pier: Long Beach next to the Queen Mary.

Edited by carlmm
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, carlmm said:

The only place I know with a dome next to a cruise pier: Long Beach next to the Queen Mary.

Yes indeed. Well done. There's even a portion of the stern of Queen Mary barely visible at the far right at the base of the dome, so that photo qualifies as having a Cunard ship in it.

• Like 1

Looking through the "unseen" ports list, I've realised that there is one remaining port that I've been to before, although by car and not by ship.  Don't know how I missed this one.   Lacking a photo of my own, here is a public domain photo.  I managed to find a photo that includes cargo cranes!  🙂  Although this public photo dates from 2011, the 2019 google street view confirms that the various visible landmarks are still the same.

image.thumb.png.b4ecf47102df20f47a16c6e0d54a9a9c.png

24 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I think we have seen this one before. Off to double check.

Oops - you are correct, @Colin_Cameron.  The port (Port Chalmers) is listed in the "seen" list under the nearby city of Dunedin, New Zealand.  I must have neglected to remove it from my unseen list.  Sorry all, my mistake. 

I was there on a driving trip of the South Island many years ago.

8 hours ago, sogne said:

time to depart from which port (which we have seen before)

abc.JPG

At first I thought this was going to be hopeless to identify. But a review of ports on your recent itinerary to Norway found a good match.

I think this is showing one of the bollards at the south end of the cruise pier at Olden, Norway. There are two similar ones visible on google street view. I also found a YouTube video of Azura at Olden showing what appears to be the same boat with crew attaching lines and later casting them off from that bollard.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Another view (maybe) of a seen port

2 hours ago, carlmm said:

Admittedly I have the unfair advantage of having been there just a week or so ago.

I did not join the queues for the shuttle bus 🙃

Thanks @Host Hattie and @carlmm.  This is Valencia Spain at the Muelle Cruceros pier, adjacent to the Trans Base Soler container terminal.  Looks like it was a very pleasant sunny day.

I have to admit I had a bit of an unfair advantage too.  I've not been to Valencia in person, but I spent a good amount of time there in August on google maps, researching @bluemarble's contributed webcam image of the Valencia promenade at Patacona Beach.  I recognised the marina and the pier configuration.